unhappy metal slugs

wiskers12

n00b
hey, i got a 6 slot machine, and all my games work fine. except metal slug 1, and 3. metal slug 3 goes to hell on the second level, and metal slug one wont boot up. i have bought other copys to see if it was the game, but i think its my motherboard. metal slug x works great and metal slug 2 works good, but those 2 games never work right. please help if anyone knows whats going on

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Is it a multislot? If it is try using a different slot.

If its a 1 slot and 2 and X work ok then it can't be the mobo

It's possible you have a boot, might want to check that out.

Also possible the carts are just dead.

Edit: I should read better, so its a 6 slot. Are you rearranging the games at all or using the same slot for the same game?

Last edited:

wiskers12

n00b
i tried everything i read on hard mvs. all slots were tried and every thing was was double checked. i had 3 copys of metal slug 1 to test. neither got passed when i press the start button. the screen just goes to hell. ive tried 3 differnt copys of metal slug 3 also. they play, but after awile they go to hell. usally second level, or i made it to the third level maybe once of twice. never the same symptoms with MS3 games but the symptoms with the MS! are usally the same.

wiskers12

n00b
no one able to solve my problem?

i hope someone has some good ideas to why i cant play MS1 and MS3 but MS2 and MSX work fine, as do my other 15 games in all 6 slots cleaned every contact and im on my third try on both metal slug games. messed with the power level and tryed the dip settings also. ill be dissapointed if no one here has any idea on how to fix my problem. im about to buy a single slot board just to run those 2 games. im gonna reset the memory tonight. thats my last option i can come up with. if you have any ideas on how to help, or know of a good cheap single slot board that will match the jamma conecter wire layout with my 6 slot board so i dont have another major headache on my hands. let me know im getting very frustrated. :blow_top:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I just read your old PM..Sorry man,I'm not around here that much to have offered help.

I did see the thread but my answers would have been the same as other members posted above.

I see no updates to the situation..

So,..

First thing..

Open up the carts and clean the connectors with very fine sand paper..
Do this under a light.
You'll see yellowing on the connectors..Clean off each prong with the sand paper until you see a significant difference in the color..
You'll notice it'll turn a Shiny Golden color now while looking under the light..
Just don't go crazy on the connectors..do one at a time and your wrist will hurt..

Then use Contact Cleaner to get off all the residue/dirt that is left on the connectors after doing this cleaning...(wife off any excess with a rag)
(Contact Cleaner will not get off that Yellowing.)

((I usually use DRY green Scotch Brite but sometimes it's just not good enough))

Do this cleaning to the Edge Connector too..

With the mother board I take it out of the cab..
I use a Cardboard Nail File..the finer side.
I take it and rub every connector prong in the motherboard..rubbing- pressing on them and watching them push back to center.
Doing this I'm also feeling the resistance they give...Then I blow out all excess dirt and use contact cleaner to do as above.
Make sure to ..let it dry a bit....though the Contact Cleaner I use is Fast Drying.

I did this cleaning yesterday to the Cart & Motherboard in my Mini Bam cab..

I will admit it's timely and work...But it's the only was I can see to get a real good solid/clean connection between the Motherboards prongs and carts.....It always worked/works for me.

Second..
I think you may be having a Power Supply Issue..

Do you have a Digi/Volt meter to Take a Voltage Reading..?....(5+

Your Power Supply may be two low in Voltage..Failing or just not right..

Does it look like the Below Power Supplies..?

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/power_supplies_amusement.htm

This is what you need provided you have a Dedicated Neo Geo Arcade machine.
80007200.gif

]http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80007200.htm
Ultimate 150 Watt Power
Supply with External On/Off
This one can be use but it doesn't have the External On/Off wiring.
Ultimate Power
Supply with On/Off
Switch - 150 Watt
80001500.gif

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80001500.htm