Unbelievable Neo Geo Project!

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Can we 3dprint new cases for the n64 memory pak? That would be awesome. I know the guy who does Flash's Flashmasta cases does 3dprinting.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I wonder what the neo geo data would be read as if stuck into an n64.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That 64 mem card never had it so good.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Ingenious use for cheap and readily available tech.

I take it that the N64 memory pack has a bog standard flash chip in it that fits the NG's size limits, and you just matched the data/address/etc lines to the neo pinout?
Simple and awesome. Fantastic.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Ingenious use for cheap and readily available tech.

I take it that the N64 memory pack has a bog standard flash chip in it that fits the NG's size limits, and you just matched the data/address/etc lines to the neo pinout?
Simple and awesome. Fantastic.

The N64 uses battery backed up sram just like Neo, just larger. It's a 32k chip and I bank switch it into two 16k cards, same as my normal SaveMastas.

Yeah, matched the lines up with Neo and it works perfectly. Even though this is more of a joke project, the original idea was exactly as you said. Recycle the tons of N64 memory cards into something else.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Rad! The hyper 64 finally gets a memory card, right Liquid Snake?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm still in total shock that Turf just found an actual good use for the N64 mem card. It so ingenious and twisted.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Nice work!

Now I want to see it sticking out of a cab.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
The N64 uses battery backed up sram just like Neo, just larger. It's a 32k chip and I bank switch it into two 16k cards, same as my normal SaveMastas.

Yeah, matched the lines up with Neo and it works perfectly. Even though this is more of a joke project, the original idea was exactly as you said. Recycle the tons of N64 memory cards into something else.

Turf,

Are you certain that SRAM is 5v tolerant? I'm almost certain the MIPS 4K CPU in the N64 is a 3.3v system.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Are you planning on making these? Maybe open pre-orders.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Are you planning on making these? Maybe open pre-orders.

Wasn't planning on making a real run of these. This really was a joke/fun project.

And more on the voltage tolerance of the sram. I have come across 2 different sram brands on the cards I have. Most seem to be regular 5v types, only one says it recommends 3.6v, but is tolerable up to 7. My 3rd party cards also use 5v chips.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I hope you got permission from Data East for using that Ghostlop artwork...

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
If someone seriously wants some of these, you could provide the design on a service like Oshpark. They do small 3 board runs for a decent price.

You have to solder the components yourself though, and provide a parts list for mouser or digikey.

The boards would be purple, though.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
neovibemasta.jpg

So down for a NeoVibeMasta. This thing at waist level in the Big Red, the wife might finally get into Neo gaming.