Un-consolizing a 2-Slot

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
Basically I was wondering if this is possible and how to do it?

I bought a consolized 2-slot a while back and recently purchased a Lordsvale MVS cab with a 6-slot fitted. I've heard the the 6-slots can be quite unreliable so I thought it would be good to have the 2-slot as a back up. However, because it is consolized I can't just connect it up to the cab.

If I want to un-consolize it do I just de-solder all the stuff that's been added or is there more to it than that?

Any advice is much appreciated as I'm really quite useless when it comes to this sort of thing. :scratch:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Usually if it's consolized it works in a cab still. Unless the modder changed something that would affect the edge connector and the signals.

Fett

Camel Slug
If it's already consolized I'd just wire up the proper connections in the cab for the montor, power, and sticks/buttons so it's plug and play compatible. Then you always have the option of using the 2 slot in the cab or on a TV.

As long as your 6-slot is still functional why bother though?

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Trade it with someone for a "stock" 2-slot, plus you should get about £100 cash on top.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
If they didn't solder on the edge connector, you should be able to hook it up directly since you already have a 6-slot in there (same pinout).

If you don't need a consolized board, though, selling it and buying a backup board isn't a bad idea. You definitely stand to come out ahead, financially.

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
Thanks for all the replies. :)

Unfortunately I can't sell it on as, due to my massive ineptitude, I rendered it useless as a consolized board when I tried to remove the video encoder and get a pure RGB picture from it. I disconnected it all OK but then couldn't solder it all back up. It's basically just a 2-slot with a load of wires hanging out of it. I think I'll just remove everything and get it back to it's original state as a 2-slot.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
A six slot is no more unreliable then any other multislot, its just a little more picky because your dealing with more slots which means your only going to spend five or ten minutes getting all the carts aligned right. Its not going to suddenly break, blow up or become self aware and try to enslave the human race. I have had over thirty six slots at the height of my collecting and still have 3, none of them have given me any more problems that I have encountered with my two and four slots. Just take care of it which means no using it as a floor table or foot couch.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Thanks for all the replies. :)

Unfortunately I can't sell it on as, due to my massive ineptitude, I rendered it useless as a consolized board when I tried to remove the video encoder and get a pure RGB picture from it. I disconnected it all OK but then couldn't solder it all back up. It's basically just a 2-slot with a load of wires hanging out of it. I think I'll just remove everything and get it back to it's original state as a 2-slot.

Oh dear.

There are a number of options - I have PMed you.

You could get it re-consolized with an RGB output or solder things back as they were, or remove all the consolizing bits, or sell it as a project...

The worst option by far is to remove everything yourself:

1) you make break it.

2) the work done already is worth some £££s

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I don't even understand what you are trying to do with the RGB if you have a cab. Just hook it up to the cab.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Un-Consolizing - Done.

Playing through the Jamma edge just fine...

Not bad work actually - shame to undo it...

DSC00767.jpg

cools

New Challenger
I bought a consolized 2-slot a while back and recently purchased a Lordsvale MVS cab with a 6-slot fitted.

Hope you're enjoying the machine :D

That six slot never gave me any issues whatsoever in the few years I owned it. When I bought the machine I was advised to put smaller meg carts in the higher numbered slots, but I never had to do this - for example Garou was quite happy in slot 6.

Dirty edge connectors on carts were the only problems I ever had. After a few times having to clean the carts to get them going I stopped bothering trying them first - every new cart I get gets a thorough edge connector cleaning before it goes anywhere near a motherboard.