Twinkle star sprites

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
So you think it's more rarity than rabid cotton fans?

'cause I'll admit: The game looks good.

yes.

most cotton games are not exactly common though. plus shooties are extremely in vogue right now.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
.... plus shooties are extremely in vogue right now.

So true.

ECZ was complaining about the "Sipping Tax" and the "God Game Tax" in another thread ... Heh, lately seems like there's a "Shmup Tax" too.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
I remember paying ~$115 back in 01 for tss. I'd say one of the best games available for the neo, very unique, and tons of fun with a bunch of people. Metal Slug and Twinkle Star get the most requests by far out of all my mvs games.

Is it worth $240? Maybe. You can pay a lot more for a lot worse when it comes to neo or arcade stuff.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
So you think it's more rarity than rabid cotton fans?

'cause I'll admit: The game looks good.

It is a pretty solid game as well as a graphical showpiece for the TG16's capabilities. I think there are probably a decent amount of MC cards out there, even if everyone isn't dying to list them all at once.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I bought a Japanese rental cart TSS on ebay for cheap, probably because even the seller wasn't sure if it were real. I don't think I've ever seen another TSS rental cart to surface ever since either.

Coligion

n00b
Or the Saturn or Dreamcast.

The Saturn port is disappointing. I didn't find the new additions all that great and the sound quality is awful compared to the Neo CD's wonderfully clear audio. I've yet to try the Dreamcast port, but I would bet the audio is much better than the Saturn's.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I remember paying ~$115 back in 01 for tss. ... Is it worth $240? Maybe. ....

The only NEO games I'd ever consider paying $250 for in the NEO library is KOF '97 and SS2.

IMHO, these games are a must have in my collection.

Played those games a lot in the arcade. And loved each and every minute of it.

But, that's subjective 'cause I'm sure TSS owners feel the same way. :eek_2: / :lolz:

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I remember paying ~$115 back in 01 for tss. I'd say one of the best games available for the neo, very unique, and tons of fun with a bunch of people. Metal Slug and Twinkle Star get the most requests by far out of all my mvs games.

Is it worth $240? Maybe. You can pay a lot more for a lot worse when it comes to neo or arcade stuff.

Good to see you around! Hope everything's going ok. :)

The game is awesome. Everybody I introduce it to ends up getting hooked.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
The Saturn port is disappointing. I didn't find the new additions all that great and the sound quality is awful compared to the Neo CD's wonderfully clear audio. I've yet to try the Dreamcast port, but I would bet the audio is much better than the Saturn's.

The sound quality isn't great but the Saturn port does have an extra playable character, optional remixed music and in versus mode you can play on the boss stages with the boss music. Memory's theme is amazing. The Dreamcast port has none of these extras.

Coligion

n00b
The sound quality isn't great but the Saturn port does have an extra playable character, optional remixed music and in versus mode you can play on the boss stages with the boss music. Memory's theme is amazing. The Dreamcast port has none of these extras.

You can select any stage to play on in the Neo Geo CD release (Boss or otherwise). The inclusion of Meirin is a neat addition for the Saturn port, but that's about the only good thing added in my opinion. The little graphical enhancements and gameplay changes didn't do anything to sway me. When playing as Macky and Pentell, it's very annoying to have Pentell now hovering about and getting in the way of visibility. The terrible sampling of the audio and the slight windowing of the video frame bugs me quite a bit, so I always play the Neo Geo CD version over the Saturn port. The included MVS/arcade port on the Saturn disc suffers from additional slowdown, too, which is a shame.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Or the Saturn or Dreamcast.

If someone wants to play and enjoy the game, get it on the Dreamcast, have the slowdown turned off.

The game was great for the Neo Geo, but the slowdown made it very annoying at times. DC offered a big improvement.

Only problem is that the DC version is affordable. Which means it's not as fun.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Only problem is that the DC version is affordable. Which means it's not as fun.

LOL.
+1

You know, there are some Neo games where I feel almost certain that the programmers took into account the slowdown in adjusting the difficulty and generally designing the game. Pretty brilliant. With TSS, it's tough to tell whether that is the case. All I know is whenever I play against someone in this game I lose badly.

MrRobotFactory

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah the Twinkle Star Sprites thats on eBay from Spain is DEFINITELY a boot. Seller even writes in the description that its a copy. That seller sells mostly boots with some stickers included. I'd stay away from him. Be patient. I bought my TSS legit MVS cart a few months back. If you have a Dreamcast you could get it cheap there. I have the DC version as well and plays nearly the same and its awesome in two player mode.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
While we're on the topic; a bit of shameless promotion... not for me of course, but for the fine folks at SouthTown. :)

TSS_Shock_zpsdbdc9b79.jpg

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'd love to get a real copy of Twinkle. I got a 25 dollar boot off of Yanton years ago. This was all before they had the multi-carts though, which many don't include TSS anyway. The PS2 remake, La Petite Princess is also pretty good. It's got a passable port of the AES version and they threw in the animated intro that's in the Saturn version. My favorite thing about this game was playing it at Otakon in Baltimore. Most people would see how pink the game is and snicker and walk away. But we'd be able to lure in people and they couldn't stop playing.

Also, when I hung out with Chris Bucchi I got to check out his T-16 collection and it's a sight to behold. Of course I asked if it was cool if I could look at the box for Magical Chase. I forgot how much he told me he originally got it for but the price has just went up more since he did his video on it. Shame it's so expensive, it seems like a fun little shooter.

Boat200

New Challenger
Jumping forward to Dec 15, 2014. Value of authentic TSS loose cart, plastic rather scraped up (label is still decent but with a marker number on it)? 210 Euros too expensive?

chrd

n00b
I bought this one a few months ago for 200 euro (minus shipping):

280.jpg

The picture is not the best but the hologram label is in good condition, boards are original.

I would say 210 euro for original is not a steal but currently still a good deal if your label is semi-nice. It's a bit high but you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper one in Europe (the last six months). Last year they could be had for 160-175 multiple times in various places, but this cart has gone up the last year from what I have seen.

A boot (marked as such) was auctioned and went up to 150 euro today: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/111542235063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (way too much imho).

Boat200

New Challenger
I bought this one a few months ago for 200 euro (minus shipping):

280.jpg

The picture is not the best but the hologram label is in good condition, boards are original.

I would say 210 euro for original is not a steal but currently still a good deal if your label is semi-nice. It's a bit high but you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper one in Europe (the last six months). Last year they could be had for 160-175 multiple times in various places, but this cart has gone up the last year from what I have seen.

A boot (marked as such) was auctioned and went up to 150 euro today: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/111542235063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (way too much imho).

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, no dice on the 210 (which I'm already reluctant to give up because of a recent Radiant Silvergun purchase). He's looking for 250 at the moment- although it was posted just late last week. For those who are hungry for it… here ya go- http://www.leboncoin.fr/consoles_jeux_video/744855672.htm?ca=12_s

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
I really really like this game - I have it on NGCD. Since I'm transitioning from NGCD to MVS, I'll use the money I get from selling off my NGCD collection to fund the purchase of a TSS MVS cart. It's the only way I can justify putting down that kind of money for a video game at the moment.

However, out of all expensive MVS carts, I think this one is definitely a game that I'll thoroughly enjoy playing in single or multi player mode alike.

edit: corrected some typo's

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yeah it's most def one of the best 2 player games in the library.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I think i might buy the cd version. Are there any differences besides the improved audio?