Tube or Chassis problem? Or both

To keep it brief, I'm getting discolored RED in a very specific area of the screen (right/center to right). Also, it appears that the lower half of the screen has this slightly "red prominence" over other colors, which can be easily seen while playing a game that uses super jumps with blue backgrounds (Rival Schools comes to mind). I tried to degauss it already, no help. Mess around with the RGB pots, no help also. So, not trying to be lazy (but already being one), if someone could point what should I try first could be very helpful since where I live it's not so easy to find repairing help, or parts or anything. Tube problem (what to do :/)? Changing the caps (what a pain :/)? Something else? Everything included? I know there's only one way to find out... but, if one could help at least with inspirational words :mr_t: , thanks! :)

dgame

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
Pictures would help. Sometimes a stronger degauss is needed. I use a GC Waldom Degaussing Coil to eliminate stubborn color blotches. If you are handy you could try and build one yourself. Google "How to make a degaussing coil?" Still post pictures of the problem for better advice.

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
To keep it brief, I'm getting discolored RED in a very specific area of the screen (right/center to right

Wow, just noticed the same exact thing on mine last week, but in the left center of the screen.
I'm waiting for a degaussing Coil to arrive to see if it gets better.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Same on mine :) I wish the MVS had a degauss on their monitors. Mine is in the top right. Absolutely no red. The reds look yellow. Makes Magical Drop 3 a bit strange, as well as Windjammers.

I tried with a small magnet I had nearby and it brought the color back while the magnet was near, but it didn't stick. I need a stronger coil. Will pick one up soon that plugs in and see if i can get it to work. The downside for me on that front. I have only my MVS that needs a degaussing coil. The rest all have degauss built in :/

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Ebay usually has the large arcade/tv monitor degaussing coils for around $40 bucks.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Check to see if there is any strong interference in that area, as well. Years ago, my Night Striker cab was having lots of problems with colors getting messed up and would need constant degaussing. I discovered that there was a problem with the cab in that location that was causing it. Moving it to the other side of the room I had no more issues. I can only imagine that there was a strong electric/magnetic field in that corner, from something, that was causing the problem. If you're having issues repeatedly, even after degaussing, you may want to try moving the cab and seeing if it helps.

OK, maybe that's a stab in the dark... If colors are going out, it could also be a capacitor dying. Is the monitor folding or having any sort of geometry problems as well? Those are tell tale signs it is time to replace your capacitors.

Wow, as soon as I got back here with all these answers I stopped everything I was doing and turned on the only game with so many guys in RED I know so that I could film it for a better insight of the problem. Thanks for all the answers :), and, yes, unfortunately I have to say that "it's good" to see other people with the same problem :s (but I hope everyone finds a solution fast!). Sorry about the short, not so good picture, I'm having a hard time with this camera cycling its functions randomly.

Anyway, I think is clear that once the guys in red move out from the left, they can be called "guys in red", but once they go back to the left corner, they're not so red anymore. This monitor, didn't had time to show it, has an internal degaussing button. In fact, when I got it (the cab), there was this annoying yellowing on the upper left corner, but after pressing the button, it was gone immediately, because of that, I'm being a cheap bastard trying to not spend some $ in some tool I already have, but I'm not sure if "extreme degaussing" like kissing a wand/coil on the screen would solve the problem. Yes :/ the monitor has some flaws like bad focus in the corners as well a little bit curved in the upper left, so changing the caps is almost an "one way street" for me BUT as I said, maybe I could figure out the color problem alone and... could be a easy fix. You know, I'm not a soldering expert you know. Swapping the caps would be a tiresome weekend (or two), and besides, probably I would have to buy a "kit" somewhere outside of the country. I could check them one by one, but hell ,there's a lot of them from what I've heard. I take the opportunity to ask if all the chassis do work with the same cap kits or, do I need to check them one by one (removing the tube, chassis, checking, then buying one by one... I'm so tired these times, that's a "only next year" work :/). After all, after some reading, how many of them are there?
But what must be done, must be done. Would be awesome to have a good picture, after all, find a candy in this sh** country was so difficult to just keep it like that :)
Oh, I'll try to move to another direction, at least, moved sometime ago to the living room, not so far, but it was pointed to the same direction... earth magnetic stuff? :s

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
There is no cap kit that fit's all monitors, you need to know your chassis reference and then look for a kit for that model or get the caps individually.

Edit- I think that the worst part is to remove the chassis from the tube, must be carefull with the voltage but you have plenty tutorials on the web.

Last edited:
There is no cap kit that fit's all monitors, you need to know your chassis reference and then look for a kit for that model or get the caps individually.

Edit- I think that the worst part is to remove the chassis from the tube, must be carefull with the voltage but you have plenty tutorials on the web.

I see. I'm almost thinking about buying another monitor chassis (29')... don't know where to find reasonable prices/good options tho (any good shop out there?). Locally I could find chassis that could be at worse condition. Actually, my cab must've seen better days long ago when it arrived from Taiwan, white and clean (Okbaby cab). It's all banged up and inside raped/quick fixed now :annoyed:. "Gambiarra fudida" for those who understand portuguese :glee: So yes, I'm willing to spend extra cash to make it pretty again. Probably, this will be the only candy cab I'll ever find here in a half life-time. Oh well, time to schedule a discharge/removal someday. If I don't get killed by my own incompetence I might bump here and tell how it turned out. Thanks again :)

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
You welcome mate.

Discharge isn't that difficult at all, you just need to build a special "tool", something like a cable connected to a screwdriver and an alligator clip in the end. You connect the alligator clip to a ground point of your cabinet and then gently touch the metal inside the anode connector to discharge it.

You should unplug the cabinet a couple days before this procedure, if you do that it won't have almost no power at all.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Here's my discharging video:

Very easy. Not at all necessary to wait to discharge. Some monitors are built where they discharge themselves quite a bit. You may not even hear the snap of the electricity.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
A bit off-topic:

Just saw Mistsurugi-w's link "Is your monitor whining too much? High pitched squeal driving you nuts?" And ran to my cabinet to give it a try.

Just let it ran for a couple of minutes but it looks like it's solved. Wow Man, that's great and the funny part is i just stumbled upon that link by chance.

Thanks for the Pro tip

PS- Great video too.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
A bit off-topic:

Just saw Mistsurugi-w's link "Is your monitor whining too much? High pitched squeal driving you nuts?" And ran to my cabinet to give it a try.

Just let it ran for a couple of minutes but it looks like it's solved. Wow Man, that's great and the funny part is i just stumbled upon that link by chance.

Thanks for the Pro tip

PS- Great video too.

My pleasure. I'm glad it seems to be helping you get rid of that annoying whine.

I should mention to the OP of this thread. I think a degaussing will fix your issue. Not caps.

Last edited:
Yay, this thread wasn't useless at all! Great tips here for everybody, I did read some articles about discharging and the only vid I found was one of those "arcade tips" series... I had prior little knowledge about the discharge procedure, my cab even has a metal mesh in order to ground. But gripping on the monitor frame is a lot easier :s. And, well, i guess it should be good trying to degauss with another method besides its own button after all, who knows. I'll keep that in mind and search for a standard coil. Well, if doesn't work, I could use the coil on tvs anyway. Only have one for tateing now (wish I could rotate the monitor but... I think even the front screwed frames are incomplete in my cab. Maybe I could take a pic of it and you guys tell me if it would be possible or not to rotate with my actual setup... Okbabys are rotatable of course, not sure if mine is). Thanks again for all the input, clean/vibrant picture for everyone.