Tribute to another long-dead Capcom series.

Youkai

Hardened Shock Trooper
I thought I'd bring up another obscure Capcom series that deserved alot of respect but fell short of Mega Man and Street Fighter. Been long gone since the mid 1990's.

Tenchi o Kurau (roughly translated from what I read in an old magazine as "The Destruction of Heaven and Earth ")

It was a nonfictious anime themed series set in the ancient Chinese Dynasty Era.

Like Final Fantasy, the number of games in this series in Japan slightly outnumbered every other country. They came in different genres from RPG's, Strategy RPG's and the 2-4 player arcade beat em ups we loved so much back then.

The list of games:

Beat em ups:
Tenchi wo Kurau (Arcade, Game Boy, PC Engine. aka "Dynasty Wars")
TwK 2: Akakabe no Tatakai (Arcade, PSX, Saturn. aka "Warriors of Fate")

RPG's
TwK (Famicom, aka "Destiny of an Emperor ")
Twk2: Zhuge Kong Ming Den (Famicom, could've been called "Destiny of an Emperor 2: The Story of Zhuge Liang" )
TwK: Sangokushi Gunyuuden (Super Famicom, strategy, not for beginner Japanese learners. This is drenched in kanji)

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I actually just got the second one a couple weeks ago. The game is badass its quickly becoming one of my favorites, Id say I like it more than golden axe. I also like seeing a chinese theme instead of barbarians or cops/street punks type of stuff.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Youkai said:
(..)

Tenchi o Kurau (roughly translated from what I read in an old magazine as "The Destruction of Heaven and Earth ")

(..)

Really? I thought the title meant "To Eat Angels" or something like that...

Anyways, I dig the two side-scrolling action games from this series, they were
some good stuff.

The whole 'ancient Chinese Dynasty Warrior' theme was always pretty cool to me.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
I remember seeing one of these in the Arcades back when I was in college, the same arcade that had Willow and Golden Axe II:Revenge of Death Adder...neldess to say I was there quite often...
:buttrock:

BBH said:
Black Tiger is fucking awesome.
heck yes, and so was Tiger Road(I wonder if anyone remembers that one)

BIG

sony fanboy
I prefer the original Tenchi wo Kurau (Dynasty Wars) over the lackluster sequel (Warriors of Fate) anyday of the week.

BTW,the series is loosely based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms manga.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Remember Magic Sword (SNES) good game
Black Tiger and Tiger Road were cool ones too.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I'll take a stab at this since this is all i can think,of at the moment. SonSon,Arcade and was on CapcomGenerations vol3 for PS1 and Saturn. There was all so SonSon II for the PCE. BionicCommando,Arcade,NES and GB and GBC. BionicCommando is the one i wish, the most that would get a update. :eye: :eye:

Last edited:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Dynasty Wars and Warriors Of Fate KICK ASS.

I always loved WoF and wished I owned the arcade PCB.
Great, great gameplay, and three players to boot. Cool-ass charcater design, and horse-mounted gameplay is just icing on the cake. A true classic for sure.

A crying shame that the Capcom of old is just as dead as the real SNK.

Youkai

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thought I'd post pics from the games in this awesome series.

dynastywars1.png

dynastywars9.png

wofgood-1.gif

wofgood-10.gif

doae2e08.gif

doae2e11.gif

Last edited:

Himuragames

Crossed Swords Squire
Love that warriors of Fate

I thought both Dynasty Wars and Warriors Of Fate were great game Capcom made. I got lucky and bought Warriors of Fate Board :tickled: Found it on Ebay. I still love playing it. To bad they don't make game like that for the arcade any more :angry:

Hey, good call on the tribute. Warriors of Fate remains a paradigm of the Capcom beat-them-ups; I see it in arcades. I mean, the characters could do Dragon Punches and there was the guy that could do a Sonic Kick, what's not to like? It's like, "My allegiance is to lord Liu Bei, the true scion of the Han dynasty, may he live for 10,000 years...but my martial training comes from Street Fighter II, SHROYUKEN!"

The only thing that could possibly top that is Alien vs Predator, where the Predator Hunter performs the Dragon Punch with those awesome forearm blades that's got that small nuclear bomb thing attached! It's like I almost expect Akuma's skull and necklace in the Predator's trophy case or something.

However...I did not know Destiny of an Emperor, the NES RPG, was also made by Capcom until it was pointed out. That's a real gem. You walk around with your characters sort of like in a regular RPG, but instead of having hit points, you have armies of thousands of soldiers! I don't want to play the role of a guy walking around with the Masamune sword summoning Chocobos, as fun as that may be. No, I want to roleplay Guan Yu, he whose face is eternally painted blood red, with that massive halberd that only he could wield with his great strength and skill, riding that really fast horse of his and leading his legions to unite all under heaven for the true Emperor, carving the words "SUCK IT" like graffiti on the wall that is the granfalloon of lifeless bodies that were his enemies. Ain't no one ever going to Limit Break Guan Yu, nuh-uh. Thanks a lot for pointing that game out, otherwise I would have never known it was by Capcom.

Himuragames said:
I got lucky and bought Warriors of Fate Board :tickled: Found it on Ebay. I still love playing it. To bad they don't make game like that for the arcade any more :angry:

Actually, I've come across a relatively new beat-em-up by a new developer that's also based on the Three Kingdoms period, but I've only come across it in Mainland China and Hong Kong. It uses 2D sprites for the characters, but 3D backgrounds, and it's -not- a pirate or bootleg remake of Warriors of Fate. Problem is, it's not that much fun. But any game where you get to be Guan Yu is pretty cool.

Youkai

Hardened Shock Trooper
I forgot to mention, I have the Warriors of Fate arcade marquee hanging in my room. To me, games like this were made for Friday and Saturday nights at the arcade. I recall several of my favorite parts, fighting horseback, and killing an army of imperial soldiers in the middle of a village while the villagers stop to watch the action. A long time ago, I tried to make some animated sprite rips from this game but they turned out a disaster. I tried to make:
>Subutai's sword swing
>Horse gallop
>Kassar's spin punch, bear hug and straight punch
Marquees.jpg

Last edited: