Transformers One. Nah dude.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I queued up the trailer because the first 20 seconds or so are Hemsworth and the other guy introducing the trailer. When are people going to realize no one wants to hear "Here is the new trailer" when they just want to see the trailer. Also why is there now always a "the trailer for starts... now!" Just show the damn trailer.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Wow, That is just

yeah..

Just going to go ahead and forget about it.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I have no dog in this fight since I'm not a Transformers guy, but the blatantly obvious mass-appealing music choices in these types of films always bug me.

I mean, I get it that they're trying to grab the attention of every Tom and Jane booger-eating general audience ticket purchaser out there, but would it kill studios to pull a Shrek 2 and put something like Tom Waits or Nick Cave in there?

(Obviously, I don't know what the entire soundtrack will be, but I'd bet money on it being safe and predictable and someone like Leonard Cohen not showing up in it.)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I have no dog in this fight since I'm not a Transformers guy, but the blatantly obvious mass-appealing music choices in these types of films always bug me.

I mean, I get it that they're trying to grab the attention of every Tom and Jane booger-eating general audience ticket purchaser out there, but would it kill studios to pull a Shrek 2 and put something like Tom Waits or Nick Cave in there?

(Obviously, I don't know what the entire soundtrack will be, but I'd bet money on it being safe and predictable and someone like Leonard Cohen not showing up in it.)
I can just picture the corporate meeting where Start Me Up was suggested and they all patted themselves on the back for being so clever.

I'll tell you what really gets me is the "epic", "impactful" and "awe inspiring" cues. But we all know without the constant "epic" music cues the audience won't be able to tell when they're not supposed to be laughing at the constant insipid banter. Sigh...

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Is this the story about how Arcee TRANSitions from a boy bot to a girl bot?
Such amaze wow.

EDIT
Ok I actually watched it now.
Holy shit I got new trek vibes from this.
I feel filthy and am now contemplating seppuku.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I can just picture the corporate meeting where Start Me Up was suggested and they all patted themselves on the back for being so clever.

I'll tell you what really gets me is the "epic", "impactful" and "awe inspiring" cues. But we all know without the constant "epic" music cues the audience won't be able to tell when they're not supposed to be laughing at the constant insipid banter. Sigh...

Im not fan of the Stones (ducks from incoming hate) but I'd rather hear something like that in a trailer than the god awful

"STAH-TED FROM DA BOTTOM NOW WE HEE" that repeats itself a billion times.

Still tho, why cant people just use a good score instead of kitschy music.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Because it is not the exact same garbage that he grew up consuming and is *gasp* something new and different that appeals more to the children from this generation, ya jangus.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Because it is not the exact same garbage that he grew up consuming and is *gasp* something new and different that appeals more to the children from this generation, ya jangus.
No, because it.

Doesn't.

*Look*

Good.

Grangus.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It looks like they're going for a pseudo-Pixar look and approach? Seems logical if you're going after the 5-8 year old kid market with maybe some bleedover into the 8-12 year old range. If this doesn't look appealing to 30-40 year old toy collectors, that's probably a good sign for both the movie and the middle aged toy collectors.

And if it looks like a generic kids movie, "generic kids movie" is a step up from anything they've done with Transformers in more than a decade, certainly.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I queued up the trailer because the first 20 seconds or so are Hemsworth and the other guy introducing the trailer. When are people going to realize no one wants to hear "Here is the new trailer" when they just want to see the trailer. Also why is there now always a "the trailer for starts... now!" Just show the damn trailer.

Give zero fucks about Transformers and never did (was more of a GI Joe/He-man kid) but to answer your question, the pre-trailer bullshit is for the zero attention span social media brats. Because of the length of ads on a lot of those platforms (and the prevalence of quickly scrolling past annoying visual clutter), the studios feel obligated to make a super-condensed cut that will catch the eye of drooling simpletons to convince them to click on it and watch the actual trailer. Unfortunately, the rest of us have to suffer because they then include that crap in front of the actual trailer.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
It's about on par with what I saw of the Cars movies or Ninjago or whatever with my nephew when he was 5. Not sure what you were hoping for. They're aiming for the demographic that's actually supposed to want to play with toys.
idk maybe something darker? Would be nice if more adult theme stuff for Transformers existed.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
idk maybe something darker? Would be nice if more adult theme stuff for Transformers existed.
Nice for who? You? It doesn't help Hasbro any. They want to go after the demo that made them millions and Transformers a household name back in the 1980s. Sucks you're not in that demo anymore, but oh well.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
They're aiming for the demographic that's actually supposed to want to play with toys.
Maybe but it's awfully drab looking for that age group (it has the color palette of a PS3/360 era action game) and they're using the old school character designs which kids aren't familiar with. I think it's as much targeted at the man children. I dunno, at least it's not another Bayverse movie I guess.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm trying to imagine how insane it would seem if the Barbie movie had been played completely straight.

I'm sure there are some female examples, but it feels like this refusal to grow up is heavily male centric, and embarrassing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm sure there are some female examples, but it feels like this refusal to grow up is heavily male centric, and embarrassing.
If I had to guess, it's probably because girls from a pretty early age are already getting into the inane bullshit that adult females like.