Toys R Us to close all 800 of its U.S. stores

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
When did Toys R Us start charging over MSRP? I remember as a kid if I ever saw something I wanted at KB, I'd wait and get it at Toys R Us because KB was higher than MSRP but TRU was spot on if not a little lower for sale items.

No idea, but all of the locations here in Cincy were always a few $$$ more than other places on just about everything, especially noticeable on things like LEGO.

When the signs for Going Out of Business first went up and they had people holding signs for %-off, the kids got all excited and wanted to go. I took them in and we went to a section, Imaginext I think, and told them to take note of the prices. They had a character set selling for $7.99 with 10% off. We left empty-handed and drove down the same plaza to a store called Meijer and I showed them the exact same toy on their shelves marked at $5.99 with no discount. ;)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
No idea, but all of the locations here in Cincy were always a few $$$ more than other places on just about everything, especially noticeable on things like LEGO.

When the signs for Going Out of Business first went up and they had people holding signs for %-off, the kids got all excited and wanted to go. I took them in and we went to a section, Imaginext I think, and told them to take note of the prices. They had a character set selling for $7.99 with 10% off. We left empty-handed and drove down the same plaza to a store called Meijer and I showed them the exact same toy on their shelves marked at $5.99 with no discount. ;)

Did you leave empty handed again?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
TRU made me realize how much I took Lionel Kiddie City for granted. I'm surprised TRU lasted as long as it did.My guess is no toy store can really compete with China made goods flooding the market at dirt cheap prices.
BB
I was sadder when Kiddie City went away.

Wasn't there talk of KB relaunching?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I wonder what their last "big hit" was. What kind of toys can compete against just giving the kid an iPod or something?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
lego's and POP figures..

although maybe the POP's were more popular with parents

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Probably hatchimals, right? That's the last craze I can remember.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
what the heck is a hatchimal.

digipets/gigapets/tomogatchi were cool, this is the one i had i think. I know it was orange and I know it was a dinosaur. I dont remember the Jurassic Park branding though i never gave a shit about jurassic park either

GigaPetsBabyT-Rex_rs.jpg

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
OMFG I JUST FOUND OUT THEY HAD SALEM ONE FROM SABRINA!!!!!!!!

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
Still alive and well in Canada, though, the last time I went to TRU to get my niece a birthday gift, I was highly disappointed with the non-baby stuff they had there. Not the same as when I was a kid. Maybe just that location sucked cock, I should try another one.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
http://archive.is/mg24P

Toy store chain Toys R Us is planning to sell or close all 800 of its U.S. stores, affecting as many as 33,000 jobs as the company winds down its operations after six decades, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The news comes six months after the retailer filed for bankruptcy. The company has struggled to pay down nearly $8 billion in debt — much of it dating back to a 2005 leveraged buyout — and has had trouble finding a buyer. There were reports earlier this week that Toys R Us had stopped paying its suppliers, which include the country’s largest toy makers. On Wednesday, the company announced it would close all 100 of its U.K. stores. In the United States, the company told employees closures would likely occur over time, and not all at once, according to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss internal deliberations.

Toys R Us, once the country’s preeminent toy retailer, has been unable to keep up with big-box and online competitors. The recent holiday season dealt another blow to the embattled company, which struggled to find its footing even as the retail industry racked up its largest gains in years. In January, Toys R Us announced it would close 182 U.S. stores, or about one-fifth of its remaining locations.
It's not surprising they couldn't compete with online sellers. If you are looking for a specific product (in any category, not just toys), it's usually easier to find it online. That's apart from the cheaper price online.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Google headline that I just saw said they are "pulling out" of a bankruptcy auction. Probably helped to fire everyone at the bottom?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
A play from right out of the Hostess playbook.

Fresh start with none of the burdens of the old infrastructure or financial responsibilities.

TBH I kind of expected this to happen.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Am I the only person here who gave fuck-all about toys as a kid? I only cared about video games.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Am I the only person here who gave fuck-all about toys as a kid? I only cared about video games.

Well I still have several of my original consoles and games for them from when I was a kid but have none of my old toys so I guess I fall in the same category....

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Well I still have several of my original consoles and games for them from when I was a kid but have none of my old toys so I guess I fall in the same category....

Read it again. You had toys as a kid. I said I didn't care about toys as a kid.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I didn't own action figures and shit. We went outside and beat each other with sticks, or each other in general, or vandalized things, or started campfires in the park.
Good times.

That or playing SNES.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

i loved video games and i especially loved toys branded after the games. I remember pretending that lots of my toys were video game characters. I had a Power Ranger villain that I would pretend was True Ogre from Tekken 3. I think i talked about my Primal Rage action figure in another thread too.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Read it again. You had toys as a kid. I said I didn't care about toys as a kid.

When you say “didnt care for toys” I assumed you meant you had them but didnt bother with them much.

Which is basically the way I felt about toys.
I had toys but didnt really play with them much.

I would either be outside playing or on the C64/NES/Mega Drive/SNES.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When you say “didnt care for toys” I assumed you meant you had them but didnt bother with them much.

Which is basically the way I felt about toys.
I had toys but didnt really play with them much.

I would either be outside playing or on the C64/NES/Mega Drive/SNES.

Thanks for clearing that up, hoss.