To those with PSP-2000 or 3000

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Sorry for making one of these types of threads, but I've gotsta know.

I've finally been dusting off the ol' PSP-1000 and playing a lot of games that I need to catch up on. I know that when they went to the slim model, some RAM improvements were added and such. Did they seem to make a big difference? Also, I've heard there are some interlacing issues, due to the screen type used on PSP-3000. Have you guys noticed anything? I'm considering asking for an upgrade for Xmas (no PSP Go for me, too many disk in my possession)

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
It's been a while since I went from the 1000 to the 2000.
Initially, the only big improvement I noticed was with the D-Pad.
Somewhere around firmware upgrade 5, game loading increased. I think this was by adding a swap space on the produo.

Sitting at Firmware six point something, games that used to lag a bunch load and behave much better. That includes SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1, maybe Popolocroix, Tekken 5: DR.

Then, my recollection isn't a great source there, because the games I've had have changed up since then. So, I don't have a way to do a direct comparison.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
The PSP2000/3000 do have less load times. Try playing Ys (almost unbearable) on a 1000, then try it on a 2000/3000. Beyond that, it's a worthy upgrade just for the dpad alone.

The interlacing problem is only with the 3000. I wonder if new 3000's still have this problem? Can anyone confirm?

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Thanks for the advice guys.

The D-Pad, I didn't know that they improved that. I have one of those Tekken 5 add-ons that I have plastered on my PSP, so moving from that would be a big improvement.

Did some searching of the interlacing and it's suppose to be a MUCH lesser issue than the actual ghosting that happens on the old PSP-1000 that I am sporting; it's one of those issues that if you look for, you see it, if you don't you never see it.

Good chance I try to pull this out of someone, thanks for the replies.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic

The D-Pad, I didn't know that they improved that. I have one of those Tekken 5 add-ons that I have plastered on my PSP, so moving from that would be a big improvement.

Did some searching of the interlacing and it's suppose to be a MUCH lesser issue than the actual ghosting that happens on the old PSP-1000 that I am sporting; it's one of those issues that if you look for, you see it, if you don't you never see it.

To this day I never understood what all the fuss was about the 3000. Still have mine and the screen is better than that of the 2000 hands down.

If the Go isn't for you then go for a 3000.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I heard that the interlacing on the 3000 is generally only an issue on older games made before the 3000's release. Newer games took the model's screen into account when they were designed. Sounds perhaps far-fetched from a game design perspective to me.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
If you are looking to do modding get an early 2000, the later model 2000 and all of the 3000 models are currently unmoddable (unless that has changed, I don't really keep up with it).

If modding is not something you care about I'd get a 3000. I haven't used one personally, but all the pics I've seen show a much better screen on those than even the 2000 which had a very nice sceen imo.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I have a Phat and 2 slims (2000), i think the slim is the perfect, the 3000 seems to small for my hands, while the 2000 fits perfectly!. plus the added bonus of CFW for my backups/ Homebrew BookR FTW.

Though i do like the new colors of the 3000, i have a black and Yellow slim, but the new turquoise green looks amazing on the 3000.

dun 4get the build in mic on PSP-3K.
Also if you get the Gocam! or Talkman it comes with one for the 2000.

Last edited:

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor

I have a 1000 and a 2000.

The 2000/3000 dpad is a HUGE improvement over the 1000. You know all those times on the 1000 when you feel you're having to concentrate very hard just to make moves come out because the dpad sucks? Or all those times when you wnated to do a diagonal but it just didn't happenno matter how hard you thought you pressed? Well on the 2000 you can just play and not struggle with the dpad anymore. It's a lot more fun - the way gaming should be.

As for ghosting, this never really bothered me. On many games you never even see it. The 2000 has slightly less than the 1000. The 3000 has he interlacing issue. But really, I don't think any of these minor flaws matter much, and people are just being hypersensitive most of the time.

But the improvement in the controls (especially the dpad) on the 2000/3000 models is unquestionable, and I highly recommend that 1000 users move up for that reason alone. I know I'm glad I did.