To the MVS cab owners *New question!

SN K'

Armored Scrum Object
Just wondering where you got yours, and how much you paid. I've been lookin' to get one myself for a while now. Only reason I haven't got one yet is shipping is murder crying Any recommendations?

New question down at the bottom :D

<small>[ February 18, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: SN K' ]</small>

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This is cpoied and pasted from another post of mine but it should help...

Mine was $200 and came with a 2slot mobo, last resort, and street slam. BUT! It needed work to get working well (replace joys and buttons, and tweak monitor [that was the hardest part, all the little knobs doing every little thing and not to mention how sensitive they are]). Also, the guy selling it didn't really know what it was worth. You can probably pick up a working, dedicated 2-slot for like $435. Mine was probably cheaper than that also because mine is known as a "converted" cabinet, which is when someone converts it to work with another game than it was originally intended for (which unfortunately was Omega Race, supposedly really rare!). If you can find a not-so-good condition cabinet, it might be fixable. Virtually every problem is fixable, but they vary in how much they will cost. If the monitor is in terrible shape and will barely give a picture than a new 25" one will porbably run about $350 (my guess). If it's something like chipped paint, damaged monitor plexiglass, damaged coin mechs, damaged buttons/joys, or something cosmetic it generally will not cost a whole lot to fix.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
I have a 25" Dynamo with an MVS-1F mobo...
I got it from a local arcade op for roughly $450, and the guy brought it to my house...

Kao_Pai

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I got mine off ebay, from a guy in Oklahoma. I paid around $600 + $179 shipping to Ohio. It's a standard 4 slot red cab. The only fix I had to do on it was replace a couple cherry switches and clean it up.

The 25" monitor was fairly new, it came with keys and working coin mechs, working memory card reader, the luminescent panels for the mini marquees are still pretty bright, and it came with Metal Slug, Aero Fighters 2, Puzzle Bobble and Samurai Shodown 3.

The total cost may have been a bit high, but I traded or sold the games I didn't want, and I found stacks and stacks of old complete art sets in the bottom of the cab and I was able to make some money off those.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I won my cab off Ebay for $389.00 (pick up)

A 4 slot Dedicated Cab,New monitor with 4 carts.
Super Spy,Samurai Showdown 3,Art of Fighting and King of Monsters.
Original Marquees and a few extra were in the bottom of the Cab for other games.

I replaced the buttons,switches,joysticks and repainted all the nicks on the RED sides and small white spots on the SNK side lettering.

I also added the correct AC plug that was changed/missing.

My Cab looks much better than the pic in the link below,now.
On Ebay the Cab was listed wrong.

I collect handheld games and was looking through an Ebay handheld search and I came across the Cab.
Listed in handhelds

"I shit"..
A Cab in New Jersey not far from me..
I wanted a Neo Geo Cab for a long time but I didn't want one shipped to me.
(for many reasons)
I like to see in hand what I'm buying.
The monitor condition etc.
Especially with a Cab.

This was a dream come true..
I bidded to win....No shipping..

The seller was very nice and he answered all my questions.
He knew about the mistake in listing but didn't care.
He had sold his house and he was moving to a ranch somewhere and he didn't want to bring the machines along.(wife,marriage)
He needed to get the 8-10 Arcade machines he had sold ASAP.
I bidded on 4 of his machines but only won the Neo because I bidded to win.

But due to a Non paying bidder he sold me the Tekken 3 Cab for $200.00 (negotiated)
(I was the 2nd chance bidder)
That Cab was too big to get it in here so I put it in storage.(not enough room either)
(I wrote this story once before.)

I picked up the Cabs with my uncle in his van and I hurt my back bringing it in here.
(2 trips)
My back hurt for a week but worth it.

The next day the motor blew on the van.
I would of carried the Cab on my fkn back to get it home.

recommendations..
Where do you live?..I can keep an eye out for one.
Look for one in your area.
In an Arcade or Bar.
Any Arcade machine auctions in your area?

I personally wouldn't want to have one of these machines shipped,
You really don't know what you are getting.
The machine could be messed up already or get ruined during shipping.
Seller stating that it worked when it left his possession. mad_2
I worked for a large furniture/heavy object shipping company and believe me they do not care about what they are moving.

If your lucky you could find one here in the forums.

SN K'

Armored Scrum Object
I live in Utah, there's only one arcade around here that even has mvs cabs and it's impossible to get a hold of the owner to even find out if he'd sell much less if the price is ridiculous. The closest I've ever seen one sold is CA, and even there would cost just as much to drive and get it than to ship.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I think this may be true.
You may be the only one here from Utah.
Wow!that's cool..
I've never seen a Cab sold in Utah.(Ebay)
But I'll keep an eye out for a Cab for you.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I paid US$75 for the Twins (including two 6 slot and two single slot mobos and 30 carts) plus 14 other jamma cabs all needing a lot of work, ended up with 5 good working cabs. They would have ended up at the dump otherwise.Owner had no idea of the value.
Incredable but true glee
Remember Im in PNG.

<small>[ February 07, 2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</small>

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Wow gotta stop by Papua New Guinea sometime 75 bucks for 5 cabs and 30 carts? Man, despite the work that's a helluva deal. You could make back about 200 just for the 6 slot mobo hah.

Parallax

Ninja Combat Warrior
I bought my Sam Sho 4 dedicated cab 2 years ago from the local Arcade chain in my area called "Tilt".
Every year around X-mas time they put a price to there machines for sale. Some are insanely priced. Sam Sho 4 was of all alone in a corner and never got played so it was only $250.

Got it home took out the old 1 slot (now on my super nova) repaced it with a 4 slot purchased from M.D. Game sales. Made a custom Bezel thats red and has Kof 01 pictures of the fatal fury and Aof team and bought a 2 slot neo marqee used. Replaced the buttons with the traditional red, yellow, green, blue color scheme and rewired the the jamma harness.

It's my baby!
buttrock

Solidus Snake

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Parallax:
I bought my Sam Sho 4 dedicated cab 2 years ago from the local Arcade chain in my area called "Tilt".
Every year around X-mas time they put a price to there machines for sale. Some are insanely priced. Sam Sho 4 was of all alone in a corner and never got played so it was only $250.

Got it home took out the old 1 slot (now on my super nova) repaced it with a 4 slot purchased from M.D. Game sales. Made a custom Bezel thats red and has Kof 01 pictures of the fatal fury and Aof team and bought a 2 slot neo marqee used. Replaced the buttons with the traditional red, yellow, green, blue color scheme and rewired the the jamma harness.

It's my baby!
buttrock
The "Tilt" in Chicago does that too. But they're prices are WAY too high. KOF 2000 1-slot converted cab cost $900! blow_top

SN K'

Armored Scrum Object
The 'Tilt' here was selling a dedicated Metal Slug 4 for $2000. spock for whatever reason.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I got both my Japanese MVS 4U-25" cabinets from Arcade-infinity.com here in L.A. Both came with Japanese 4-slot motherboards. I am very happy with them both. Shipping wasn't too bad considering it is for two, but even still.

GAMEFAN

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
I purchased mine from a guy in Arkansas via an eBay auction for a little over $300 about two years ago. It had new locks and was in good working condition. It worked well until the back of the unit popped off and struck the neck of the monitor during a move from one room to another. Then I sunk another $250 into the system to replace the old monitor. The new monitor (13 months old) started flaking out a couple of weeks ago. I got lucky and a tech fixed it for free. Then I had to replace the power supply as the 13 year old power supply "expired." And finally, I replaced the PCB with a new MV-1C since the MV-1F had trouble with ROTD and the stereo out went flaky on me. It found a good home though so I was able to recoup some of that expense. Oh, I also replaced the original plasitc plexiglass.

I also bought a new set of buttons and two new sticks for the unit. I'll probably replace the old one's with these someday... after I find new graphics for the controls that is.

So.... I guess what I'm trying to say is that owning a "1990 Era" MVS is sort of like owning a used car. Stuff will fail. But there are parts available to keep 'em running. You will want to take into consideration the age and "mileage" of the unit when buying one.

Am I happy with my MVS? Absolutely!

Oops, I almost forgot. Pallet Fee/Shipping was $175 from Arkansas to Virginia shipped straight to my home. Add a $20 refrigerator dolly rental fee to the total since I need a way to move it from the Street to my home. The shipping company does not move such things once it leaves the truck bed! Man, that thing was heavy too.

<small>[ February 08, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Tiptonium ]</small>

viaton

Neo Geo Cup '98
I have this:
<a href="http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyerdb&subpage=thumbs&id=2031" target="_blank">http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyerdb&subpage=thumbs&id=2031</a>

It came from Japan to Italy and from Italy to Helsinki, Finland.
In excellent condition.
It has been used for PR only in a game company back here in Finland.
Price? Well, it was not cheap. loco

Cut Chemist

Bash,
Well, my advice to you is the same that I recently received from people here: buy locally, if at all possible. Freight shipping is a bitch, and it's also most preferable to be able to see what it is you're getting prior to reaching a deal, so that you can test it out, and give it a look-over for any "quirks". :) Try the Yellow Pages for your area, look under "Amusement Sales". Also, sometimes arcade auctions may be held in your hometown, or in large cities closeby. They are usually advertised in the classified ads of the local newspaper. However, I would be leary of an auction after talking with some folks in the Amusement industry who told me the only guarantee or warranty at an auction is the "2 for 1" warranty, being, if it breaks in half, you get both at no extra charge. Dealers may also bid against themselves to drive the price up. If you buy directly from a dealer, it is guaranteed to be in working order, and usually has at least a 30 day warranty. Plus, if you don't live very far from them, they may ship it to your house for free. I searched all over my area for over a year before I just recently found what I was looking for. I ended up buying from a local dealer, paid $950 for a 4 slot in good condition. If you can only bargain a local dealer down to a couple hundred dollars more than you think it is worth, it may not be a bad idea to get it, if it is in good condition and you doubt the likelihood of finding another one in similar condition any time soon.(But don't pay $1300 for a 2-slot like one moron offered me!) Good luck!!

Solidus Snake

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I got my mini cab from Ebay. The person lived only 30 minutes away from me, so I just picked it up. Local sales are awesome! buttrock

SN K'

Armored Scrum Object
Alright I finally got in touch with the owner of my local arcade. What I have to do is go in and leave him a note with a price I'm willing to pay for one of the cabs. So any suggestions on a good price for a 1 slot. If they have any thing with more slots at the other place I haven't been to yet I'll go for that. I wouldn't expect them to have any thing more than a 2 slot. Appreciate the help glee

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hmmm does anyone else have a problem with contacting someone about cabs they'll email you back saying they'll get pics, then they never get back to you...Argh if there were good communication in place I'd have a cab by now. This has happened 3 times.

jefmcc

Armored Scrum Object
Check local classified ads. Check <a href="http://www.VAPS.org" target="_blank">www.VAPS.org</a> to see where the local collectors are and where they get thier stuff. I was suprised to see there are a lot of arcade collectors in my state.

Many times the collectors are only interested in the classics, so Neo Geo doesn't hold much value to them, and you can get it on the cheap.

mog

Bead Banger
Parallax:

It's my baby!
buttrock
Sweet. A STL Neo Fan. You must remember when Exhilarama didn't suck :p

I bought my cab a few weeks ago. It was $300 for a dedicated 4 slot MVS cab with a 25" monitor and came with Aero Fighters 2, Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown, and Magical Drop. Pretty decent deal, but the cab needs some work, very playable though.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
mog:
[...]
I bought my cab a few weeks ago. It was $300 for a dedicated 4 slot MVS cab with a 25" monitor and came with Aero Fighters 2, Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown, and Magical Drop. Pretty decent deal, but the cab needs some work, very playable though.
Elaborate on "needs some work." If the monitor is looking good, I'm officially gealous. That's one hell of a deal! drool_2

TacoFace

Rugal's Thug
I got a dedicated US 4 slot from Golfland in Sunnyvale for $400 . an Ok price ,

And the mini US one for..... I can't say ......

A tip in getting one ... any time you see one ask if its for sale , no matter where it is , movie theater , laundery matt ,anywhere , you'll be surprised .

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: TacoFace ]</small>

mog

Bead Banger
subcons:
mog:
[...]
Elaborate on "needs some work." If the monitor is looking good, I'm officially gealous. That's one hell of a deal! drool_2
It has it's issues. It takes about 30-40 minutes to warm up, after that it works fine. Before that it's really dark, even with a new cap kit. There's also some faint vertical lines on the left side of the screen. Only really noticable on white or light colours. Still bugs the fuck out of me though. Colour is good though. Like I said, once it's warmed up it's great :D