TMNT issues in MVS cab + making mvs adapter (SOLVED!!!)

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
UPDATE: Solved it ... see here

Another new guy question:

I recently picked up TMNT and popped it in my 4 slot cab with a JAMMA->MVS adapter. After finding the volume pentiometer (yes my first PCB) and changing my pants....I realized that the 1st player controls (any of them) were non-functional while the 2nd player controls worked fine.
The game plays perfect (sound, video, 2player controls) but for some reason I cannot get any 1st player control to work. all the contacts are cleaned and everything seems in place.

Any ideas what I can check next? :spock:
I don't know if/how it would help...but I did snap a few shots of the hookup etc.

Thanks guys in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could be the MVS pinout that's making it weird. Do you have an MVS>JAMMA adapter?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
An MVS JAMMA adapter shouldn't affect controls at all, only sound. When I had issues with my JAMMA MVS adapter I used my meter to figure out exactly what was mapped to where. I'd check the pins w/the adapter installed and go from there. I'd also try to short a P1 control pin to ground on the board and see if it works. If not, it could be an issue w/the board itself.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Could be the MVS pinout that's making it weird. Do you have an MVS>JAMMA adapter?

MVS>JAMMA? No I'm using a JAMMA->MVS (this one: here from jammaboards).

Plug PCB into jamma end and then the other end goes into my MVS harness.
pics here:
http://mutaku.com/dsc03370.jpg
http://mutaku.com/dsc03353.jpg

madman: I will get out the multimeter in the next day or so and check where things are going....maybe there is a problem in the board from the jamma to mvs side...or even on the board itself. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: I will be able to get my hands on some other PCBs from Artoffighting tomorrow to test out....I don't think it will hurt to try another one and see if the same issue is present to narrow things down first.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I remember on one of my konami boards I had 1 button stuck and it wouldn't register the rest of the controls.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I remember on one of my konami boards I had 1 button stuck and it wouldn't register the rest of the controls.

A literal button stuck? Hmm could be but I don't see any issues with MVS stuff. Or do you mean on the PCB itself there was an issue?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not a litterally a button but something on the board was grounding the button. Check the adapter to make sure there isn't any sloppy soldering bridging gaps or something.

But like madman said if you have a chance, check the controls at the board.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Alright I'll check both.... thanks both for the suggestions.

Will post back in the next few days as I test things out.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Tried out two other PCBs:
Tecmo Knight and Tiger Road

Both displayed audio and video just fine but had no input detection. Just stuck on attraction.

TMNT back in with same adapter and now I have 2P controls but not 1P as before.

Could all of this be a simple -5V issue?

I thought I wouldn't get proper audio/video if that was the case.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could be, if your -5v isn't hooked up it should be. If it works then we will know for future cases. These is no harm in hooking it up as MVS doesn't use -5v and the trace on the multislot goes nowhere.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
So I checked the TMNT board now and it seems that the -5V pin doesn't go anywhere:
http://www.mutaku.com/dsc03403.jpg
(this is the top - parts side....but it is the same on the bottom as well so it seems it is not used)

So I assume the 1P issues aren't with the -5V on here. I also checked the pins for hte player buttons on the adaptor (as they should be straighthrough ) and they are all fine and all grounds seem fine as well.

So no clue on 1P issues with TMNT (the other two boards could or could not be -5V I guess at this point).

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
-5v should usually just affect sound, if it's used at all. As you noted TMNT doesn't use -5v.
It's worth mentioning that I had a TMNT once that wouldn't register any down imputs for players 1 and 2. I never was able to figure out what the problem was except that it was definitely a board problem. So I wouldn't rule out a board problem, but...

You said you had input problems with 2 other boards. I would bet you have a wonky adapter. I had a jamma adapter a while back that looked fine but didn't make good connections and as a result several inputs didn't register. I would request a swap (if that's possible). One way to test is to GENTLY flex the adapter up and down while pressing the stick or buttons and see if you get any inputs.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Yeah that's a good point. With the two other PCBs I get full sound and video but no inputs on either side of the CP (1P nor 2P). With TMNT it is just 1P. The board is from a member here that I trust and so I really do think it is something with the adapter since on the MVS side of things everything is 100%.

Grabbed from jammaboards so I will send them a note and see what they are willing to do for me. In the meantime I was already considering putting in an order with bob roberts for the stuff to make a system16 -> jamma adapter since it seems everyone has discontinued them. Maybe I might as well add in another fingerboard and jamma connector and make the jamma -> mvs myself as it seems like there are only a few connections that actually need swapped over (i.e. aren't straight through).

Thanks again for all your help everyone. I will let you all know how I make out.
(Probably should have just made these adapters myself to begin with :oh_no: )

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could also be a missing ground to the CP or maybe it got unhooked. Did you try shorting a button on the CP to ground?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Could also be a missing ground to the CP or maybe it got unhooked. Did you try shorting a button on the CP to ground?

But then wouldn't my MVS not work? All buttons work fine when i plug the harness back into my 4slot.
If you think it would still be a problem...i can try that.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya sounds defenitely like a problem with the adapter. Check the soldering on it to make sure everything is connected on the adapter. Is the MVS harness grabbing the adapter good?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Yeah checked from the metal clips on the adapter connector part to the jamma side board traces and everything seemed correct. Grounds and player buttons included. But it seems like that is the only thing it could be. Have left a ticket for RMA with jammaboards and we'll see what they say.

I think at this point it seems I would definitely be better off just making my own.
[And at $31 + shipping for the adaptor I don't really want to break out the iron on this think and lose any chance of getting a refund and just buying my own fingerboard and connector...Was thinking of just doing one based off the one they have on hardmvs]

Oh and yeah it seems to be seating pretty darn tight...like it is a snug fit to get it on both the PCB and to the harness in the cab.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya wait to see what they say and on a side note, hook up the -5v anyways as you may need it in the future.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Yeah I definitely plan to do so as I got a bunch of PCBs recently and this cab is going to be the workhorse until the gun gets built this summer.

Just have to put in an order to get some jamma pins and such. So I figured I would just plan on getting a bunch of stuff in one shot from bob roberts tomorrow and plan as though I have to run the -5 as well as make the adapters.

Thanks!!!!

madman

It wouldn't seem the adapter is at fault. On those, the majority of the pins are connected straight through other than the sound pins. I'd just use a meter and figure out where the disconnect is and work from there. Arcade controls are really easy to troubleshoot, one pin per signal.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
It wouldn't seem the adapter is at fault. On those, the majority of the pins are connected straight through other than the sound pins. I'd just use a meter and figure out where the disconnect is and work from there. Arcade controls are really easy to troubleshoot, one pin per signal.

Yeah I've tried doing that and all seemed fine on the adaptor. That is the odd thing. But will try again. Just not sure why 2 PCBs you would get no CP function while on the 3rd (TMNT) you get only 2P and not 1P CP functionality. Everything else is perfect including sound. Then when plugged back into the MVS board things are flawless. Odd!!

Tomorrow I will try using my multimeter again and maybe try from inside the connector (rather than back on the pins) and make sure....I guess I could also try plugging into the cab harness and measure back of the cab harness (back of the wire connections into harness) to the opposite (jamma portion) of the adapter and make sure I can get a reading through.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Just not sure why 2 PCBs you would get no CP function while on the 3rd (TMNT) you get only 2P and not 1P CP functionality.

It could be a difference in thickness of the jamma connector portion of the pcbs in question. It could be something that wouldn't be readily apparent. Might only be a problem when combined with poor quality pins (like those on the adapter).

My money is still on an adapter problem. BTW, the adapter problem I had was with an adapter from jammaboards.com also. I was able to send mine back for a swap after convincing the guy it wasn't a fault on my part. (There's a reason they are so cheap ;))

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Yeah good point. I mean they are pretty cheap quality...although not cheap in price imho.

Did you buy elsewhere or did you just do your own then?

madman

I use one from Yaton's shop, was quite cheaper than the one on jammaboards if I recall. Maybe it is an edge connector issue. Really weird stuff.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I guess while we're here... any other places to grab connectors and fingerboards and the like other than bob roberts... or just stay with the ol snail mail master?