TiVo

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Who has a TiVo and what do you think of it?

<small>[ July 22, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Wan-Fu ]</small>

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
I've had one for about a year now. I got the lifetime service for $200 and a 20 hour recorder for another $200, believe me its awesome. The only problem is you get real spoiled very quickly...you'll get agitated when watching tv at someone else's house. Definately worth it, but I wouldn't blow money on a machine that records any more than 40 hours because believe me, if you have a job you'll never need more than 20.

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Does your TiVo have 20 hour storage at Basic recording? What recording quality do you normally use and why?

I am thinking of getting the 40 hour TiVo-brand. But if I decide to use the High quality recording, I will only get about 18 hours of programming. That's okay but what if I wanted to use the Best quality recording? That would give me a paltry 12 hours of recording.

I am not planning to watch a whole lot of TV but the nice thing about more storage is that you can watch your recording at leisure, rather than making it a priority. This is the type of reasoning that has got me thinking about the 80 hour units. Then again, the HD TiVo can't be far off. Decisions, decisions...

Wan-Fu:
Who has a TiVo and what do you think of it?
Back in 2000, I bought a 30-hour tivo and the lifetime serivice. And I must say that I love it!

I can finnally get my cable's worth because I get to watch my favorite programs at the time I want to. And I love the other benefits like watching while recording, live pause, etc.

And yes, you will get spoiled very fast. In my tivo if I use basic quality recording, I will get 30 hours. And if I use best quality recording, I will get 9 hours. I usually use between high and best quality recordings depending on the shows that I record. For example, if it is a hockey, soccer, or wrestling event I will use best quality. Other shows like anime, car shows, or other reqular TV shows, I will use high quality.

I do not basic nor medium quality, as I get a lot of bad quality.

Anyway on average, it is a decent system, and I am spoiled by it.

<small>[ July 22, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Charles Franklin Fernandez ]</small>

Earthquake

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I'm a little bit curious about TiVo. What is the lifetime service? Do you just pay one lump sum up front instead of monthly fees?

<small>[ July 23, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Earthquake ]</small>

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Earthquake:
I'm a little bit curious about TiVo. What is the lifetime service? Do you just pay one lump sum up front instead of monthly fees?
For $300, you get the lifetime service. The monthly plan is $13 per month. The thing to note, is that the lifetime service is for a specific unit only. If you buy another TiVo later, you cannot transfer the service. So the lifetime service will pay for itself if you keep your TiVo for roughly two years.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I've had a TiVo for oh almost 3 years now. Got life time service and freakin' 200 HOURS or space to record on the basic setting. Yeah, my pops went a little hog wild on the whole TiVo thing :D

Love the TiVo though, much better than a VCR. Only prob it starts recording random shit that "thinks" you'd like to see. That part I hate.

Big Shady:
I've had a TiVo for oh almost 3 years now. Got life time service and freakin' 200 HOURS or space to record on the basic setting. Yeah, my pops went a little hog wild on the whole TiVo thing :D

Love the TiVo though, much better than a VCR. Only prob it starts recording random shit that "thinks" you'd like to see. That part I hate.
You have to go to your preferences section and select not to record the TIVO suggestions.

<small>[ July 24, 2003, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Charles Franklin Fernandez ]</small>

AE86

Quiz Detective
Another reason to not get a TiVo with more than 20hrs of recording is that it is very easy to install your own HD that can record up to 350hrs. Sure warranties will be voided but to that I say "Feh!" or perhaps "Pfft" depends on my mood

<small>[ July 24, 2003, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: AE86 ]</small>

Personally I don't care for the set top box. I understand that it records (logs) every darned thing you watch. Sounds a bit too B.B. Orewellian for my liking, before long even when the TV is off someone might be looking in. No thanks!

MD20XX / Storm Rider