Tipping

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
I don't think I've tipped delivery-wised since staying in the dorms in 2001-2002 for when I moved into an apartment, I just carried out. Usually the places I dine-in in town really don't expect tips from the customers and one way of looking at it is the less I tip, the more money I have and the more money I have, the more likely I'll eat out at said place again in the future. Yeah, I suck, that's nothing new.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
It all depends on how much is spent...then I decide the tip. Also it depends on how hot the waitress is. :smirk:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
1. The only time I Order Pizza instead of Pickup is when I'm too drunk to drive.
2. I only tip a few bucks because I just blew all of my money on alchol.

Nobody listen to Norton. He underpays delivery bills on purpose because the driver trusts him too much to double check the total. ;)

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Zenimus said:
Super Rant Mode!

Tipping is bafflingly retarded concept to me.

Think of it... why should we (the customers) pay the stupid waiters to do their job? Sure, you may say "Because they don't even make minimum wage!", but is that really something I should be concerned with? It should be the responsibility of the employer to pay their workers high enough wages to keep them happy. The way it is now, the state practically mandates that customers MUST tip the waiters/foodservers because they make such low "official" wages. Some restaurants even automatically add a "gratuity" percentage to your tab!! Seriously, the owners of restaurants are getting workers at slave labor prices, since the customers are practically paying them to work.

You might also say "They're providing a service to us, and we should tip them for doing a good job!". Well, shouldn't it be a given that they should do a good job, since it's their job to serve us?! Why should I pay them for not being sloppy?

You may say "It's common decency to tip the waiter! You'll look like a scumbag if you don't!". Well, to that I say "Boo hoo". Tons of other people work at much more difficult jobs, and they never receive tips for it.

The fact is, foodservers can potentially make a huge amount of undeserved money per night, and it's basically just hand-outs from customers. How tipping got to be such a widely accepted practice is beyond my comprehension.

You're making too much sense there, Zen.

I used to be a miser when it came to tips; I followed the "Flat tip" rule: $1 no matter what the cost of the meal is.

I won't go into any detail on my reasons why I didn't tip; Zen covered it pretty well.

Needless to say lately on the rare occassions I do go out, I tip more than I used to. Whenever I go out, it's usually to fast food places, buffets, or pizza. I don't get to eat out with other people much because I live far away from all my friends and my current work/school schedule doesn't allow me much time or money to go out.

I'd rather be a miser that a blind follower of traditions.