This is strange but.....does anyone play Dance Dance Revolution?

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
lol

anyways yeah I was really into it back in 9th/10th grade, but I only played DDRMAX 1 mainly and then 2. I don't like playing in public cuz then i get all nervous and sweaty

I know...people tend to stare lol. I'm used to my relatives and friends calling me a freak though...just because it's expert

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I picked up beatmania and got fat :(

Me too. Used to play DDR and PIU religiously from 2001-2005. Even use to enter tournaments. Got 2nd place in a DDR one back in '03. Every few months I'll bust out the old soft pad and play some at a home for a couple days. Haven't been on an actual machine in 5 years.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Guess DDR does actually keep you in shape. That's probably the advantage it has over the other musical stuff.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Pump it Up has a better dance pad but worse music.
I generally think that Pump It Up is in every way superior to Dance Dance Revolution because every criticism that naysayers lodge against DDR is pretty-much nullified by Andamiro's dance game. The diagonal steps are larger, thus requiring less-retarded-looking step moves; the middle step ensures that there's less-ridiculousness in the changeovers (and the programming makes this possible, as well); and the music is a greater variety than hyped-up Japanese pop music and Eurobeat-inspired tracks.

I still play DDR once in a while, but only in the arcades because anything above Standard requires a pad which doesn't slip every which-way, but overall, anytime a Pump It Up machine is in-sight, it's worth at-least a couple of play-throughs before moving-on.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
For an alternative, I play In The Groove more, especially the modded ITG 2 machines. They have better songs and better step charts.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I used to play more. I wasn't any good, of course, but I had fun playing. I have a stack of games for PS2 and a couple for the 360.

I'd probably play more if I could make myself finish the adapter to make my good softpads work on the 360.

The arcade experience was never really a big deal for me. The only real machines around here are in really bad condition so you have to really stomp hard to get the steps to register. It's more fun to just play at home.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, it's annoying when people screw up machines. How hard do you have to step?

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Love DDR, though I haven't played much in a while since I didn't have room for my dance pads in my suitcase. I have dreams of getting an Ignition pad someday since it works well with StepMania, and there's some really great songs out there to download for SM.

I have a few DDRs for PS2, Konamix for PS1, and one for Xbox that is pretty good despite all the bitching I've heard about those ones. I don't like all the big license songs these days, though. They tend to be more borig to dance to.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Used to have the original for PS1, sold it to a dude in Hawaii.
Had Extreme for PS2 for exercise, sold it to a chic on Craigslist.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Guess DDR does actually keep you in shape. That's probably the advantage it has over the other musical stuff.

I used to turn on workout mode and play it until I hit 1000 calories. Doing that on a regular basis is indeed a workout, can't really do that with GH or RB.

I used to really love to watch my non-DDR friends trying to play. They'd never play much, though, since they sucked and I didn't. That's the thing, though, how the hell do you expect to get better if you don't try? I had one friend who was very seriously into martial arts, knew real ninjitsu-type crazy shit, he could do the stuff you see on youtube, yet he was just balls-awful at DDR. I was like c'mon, man, you should just try this for an hour, you'll learn it with your agility and footwork, but no. Every time he stepped onto the may, he would look like a wounded, drunk, dying rhino or something.

Then I swear to GOD, I'd play a song, be like, here, just do like this, then no. No, no, no, couldn't even begin to get the feel for it.

Weird how that skill doesn't translate to or carry over at all from anything else.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I have ddr universe 1 & 2 for the 360 mostly when throwin a house party

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
I used to turn on workout mode and play it until I hit 1000 calories. Doing that on a regular basis is indeed a workout, can't really do that with GH or RB.

I used to really love to watch my non-DDR friends trying to play. They'd never play much, though, since they sucked and I didn't. That's the thing, though, how the hell do you expect to get better if you don't try? I had one friend who was very seriously into martial arts, knew real ninjitsu-type crazy shit, he could do the stuff you see on youtube, yet he was just balls-awful at DDR. I was like c'mon, man, you should just try this for an hour, you'll learn it with your agility and footwork, but no. Every time he stepped onto the may, he would look like a wounded, drunk, dying rhino or something.

Then I swear to GOD, I'd play a song, be like, here, just do like this, then no. No, no, no, couldn't even begin to get the feel for it.

Weird how that skill doesn't translate to or carry over at all from anything else.

Meow, you're AWSOME.

What helps a lot in DDR is getting the rhythm of the song and understanding what it wants you to do, sometimes they put the arrows really really close lol. I actually do, do workout mode from time to time. Always gotta go for the songs that burn more calories to finish faster.

I can do almost all songs in expert/heavy, whenever I do, people think I'm a freak for being able to do it....:emb:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I shouldn't have stopped playing DDR. My friends would all go to the arcade and play it but they all got out of it once it hit DDR Extreme. I had a lot of fun playing it, lost some weight and met a lot of cool people I still talk to today. But now the one arcade I played it at is gone and I know of a place that has an ITG 2 machine, but they don't take care of it and I don't feel like going out of my way to play it when I'm so out of shape I'll get winded after an easy song.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
I shouldn't have stopped playing DDR. My friends would all go to the arcade and play it but they all got out of it once it hit DDR Extreme. I had a lot of fun playing it, lost some weight and met a lot of cool people I still talk to today. But now the one arcade I played it at is gone and I know of a place that has an ITG 2 machine, but they don't take care of it and I don't feel like going out of my way to play it when I'm so out of shape I'll get winded after an easy song.

Never gonna buy one?

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member

That’s not totally true, but when it comes to motor control, it is completely true.

Repetition and rhythm are the two most important things when mastering something. And since nearly everything has a dif rhythm then new forms of repetition is needed to master it.

The main thing that you do carry over is essentially the pattern based button pressing that can be adapted in small segments.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I used to play it back in the day too. Even went to a gathering for it at my college campus once. It wasn't long though before I was playing it strictly for exercise, as I found the game itself quite boring.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Well....I just bought DDR X. I think it's kinda cool that the characters have a story since they had no real purpose recently. But so far I don't like that many songs on it. I do like they they have MC Hammer.

Stop! Hammer time!

Hmmm yeah, still need to play it somemore to unlock more songs. Oh and most songs in english are AWFUL! They better make the next one better...

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
the one thing I don't like with the newer games is they seem to be heading more into mainstream music. I'll stick to playing my DDR Ex and Pump ZERO cabs

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
Played it in Qatar when I had nothing else better to do.

Wouldn't mind to start playing it again though.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
the one thing I don't like with the newer games is they seem to be heading more into mainstream music. I'll stick to playing my DDR Ex and Pump ZERO cabs

Yeah, since DDR is becoming more mainstream, they HAVE to appeal to the mainstream American crowd which is stupid on Konami's part. The game was popular enough with the original tracks, why not just stick to that? This is why I play ITG more.

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
i used to play a lot, but like other people i'm just disenfranchised by the way the series has gone.

back in the day though our arcade had a 4th mix+ machine along with an extreme, which is really the two best ones anyways, so that was a lot of fun

i can clear most 9's, but never managed to crack a 10 when i was more into it. oddly though my skill level never really dropped, i could do some of the 9's i used to no problem still, but even like Sakura still does a number on me and i can't pass it.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
i used to play a lot, but like other people i'm just disenfranchised by the way the series has gone.

back in the day though our arcade had a 4th mix+ machine along with an extreme, which is really the two best ones anyways, so that was a lot of fun

i can clear most 9's, but never managed to crack a 10 when i was more into it. oddly though my skill level never really dropped, i could do some of the 9's i used to no problem still, but even like Sakura still does a number on me and i can't pass it.

Sakura! Nah you can do it...you're a guy, you got more stamina. With me, certain songs will get me too tired to continue lol. I can do fast ones for a long time, but ones like Mondo Street...dammit. You can't really rest in some of them.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So I busted out my 3rd Mix and my pad over the weekend and tried to play again just to see how I'd hold up after my health decline.

If I play this again, it'll be the saddest video game related death since that guy who starved himself playing WoW for a whole weekend or whatever.