Thinking of selling off most of my video game collection

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I recently sold off everything that I did not play. I purchased an CMVS from James since I still wanted a Neo Geo. Other than that, I play on PC.

In the end, keep what you really enjoy playing and sell the rest. You will feel better knowing you don't have items just sitting on a shelf. I feel so much better that I sold off the crap that was just sitting there.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Seems to me if most of it youre just using on an emulator anyway, and some of it are doubles or triples of legit original arcade boards you have get rid of the shit. The money will reward you with something youd like you maybe couldnt get so easy as that is what Ive done, minus flash kits as I have yet to own one again (for a few years now.) The NES has a replacement, the Genesis clones out there some are great, the stumbling block is the snes due to all the crazy chips none of the flashkits handle but one that does most but costs like a couple hundred bucks *sd2snes* and in that case keep a few games it wont do.

Other than 20th century keepings of NES and SNES carts pretty much I offloaded all my other shit down to like a top 20-25 level on games. If I feel I want another I tend to get rid of something else or keep a top20 from not breaching top25. This is how with physical console games I have despite being in it 30 years not got out of control any more. 50~ NES and SNES games, 25 for the N64, 20 for the Cube, maybe 10 on PS4. Handheld is another matter though around 30 Game Gear, and maybe 40 GB, 40GBA and 25ish on GBC. And finally the MVS is at 21+multicart. That is what remains of my stuff. I think Im a little low but Im no better than 350 games over 3 decades which isnt bad.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Are you hurting for money?

It sounds like your collection is small. So i wouldnt sweat it. These games aint getting any cheaper.

Plenty of people have shit they dont need. I would argue everyone. Expensive cars, overly expensive house, guns, way too many tools. Compared to those things our hobby is nothing.

If you enjoy them keep them. And decide if you would be happy just going everdrive for cart games.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I sold of a ton of stuff last fall, including:
Every N64 game (except for 6 that I have a specific attachment to those carts)
99% of my SNES games
99% of my Genesis games
1/2 my PS2 games
all of my gamecube games
99% of my saturn games

all in all, I've bought back some stuff, but I've decided to keep my "collecting" to two systems, nothing else can top X number of games (depending on what's available)
I do still have too many PS3 games, but they're not worth selling right now.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I sold of a ton of stuff last fall, including:
Every N64 game (except for 6 that I have a specific attachment to those carts)
99% of my SNES games
99% of my Genesis games
1/2 my PS2 games
all of my gamecube games
99% of my saturn games

all in all, I've bought back some stuff, but I've decided to keep my "collecting" to two systems, nothing else can top X number of games (depending on what's available)
I do still have too many PS3 games, but they're not worth selling right now.

I was actually thinking about doing this myself. JUST keep the games for two of my favorite systems (MD and Neo)and just flash cart the rest.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I sold my entire NES collection to get into the Neo, just sayin.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I've been thinking about doing this myself lately. I've still got a crap ton of Japanese box sets from the PSX/DC era that I really need to get rid of, shit takes up so much space. :oh_no:

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I was actually thinking about doing this myself. JUST keep the games for two of my favorite systems (MD and Neo)and just flash cart the rest.

I'd recommend it.
also, the hobby gets TONS cheaper when you disregard condition.
I've decided that for cartridge stuff (snes/genny/nes/etc...) I don't give a fuck.
PS2 and older I'd *like* complete and in nice shape, but i'll fudge a lot if the price is right.
PS3 era stuff is so dirt cheap i'm staying picky though.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm starting to sell off games I sincerely know I'm never going to play or enjoy, partially because of this thread. It's not worth the shelf space. Quality over quantity

hitorkori

Cheng's Errand Boy
Sold of the wii and GameCube stuff
Got kids so wii u is great
Ps1 went but got ps2 that plays all ps1/ps2 stuff 600+ CD-R
Snes went with wildcard
Saturn probably going next
Having too much fun on xbox one halo 5 gears 4
Had my time on all systems at the time wanna play new & unplayed stuff now time is short so enjoy it when u can

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Only got a couple mvs boards and 10 carts now. Still thinking thats too much, maybe it will fund a new PC in a couple years. Clearly PC gaming has asserted its dominance in my life now.