Thinking of buying a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - any artists out there that have one?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
And if so...what are your thoughts?

I know the iPad Pro + Pencil is a very popular choice...but I do want to be able to do more than sketch. I'd like to get some work done in Photoshop, which makes the Surface Pro a more logical choice.

I played around with one the other day and the pressure sensitivity, specifically the lack thereof when barely touching the screen, kinda' bugged me. But it sounds like you get used to it quickly and it's really not an issue?

I am planning on getting an i7 model since I wanna use photoshop primarily.

Just curious if any artists here have one and if they'd recommend it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
If you want to work slower and less accurately than on your desktop / laptop, definitely get a tablet. Otherwise, get a Wacom tablet without the screen for $200 or $300 and work at your normal pace.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you want to work slower and less accurately than on your desktop / laptop, definitely get a tablet. Otherwise, get a Wacom tablet without the screen for $200 or $300 and work at your normal pace.

I went the surface route and unless you absolutely have to do Photoshop on the go, do as Fake has suggested. I use my Surface to play Mame at work and my Wacom for PS and AI.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I guess I should be more clear. I have a very good desktop setup and a wacom cintiq [13"] for work at home. It's wonderful.

I am buying a tablet for mobile art working. I am leaning towards a Surface because the workflow makes sense. I can save a painting on a USB drive and pick up right where I left off - on a core i7 system...so speed should be fine.

I am purely looking for any art peeps who also went with a Surface Pro 4 - would love to hear their thoughts.

fake

15 Year Member
In that case, I'd just wait until you get home.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I guess I should be more clear. I have a very good desktop setup and a wacom cintiq [13"] for work at home. It's wonderful.

I am buying a tablet for mobile art working. I am leaning towards a Surface because the workflow makes sense. I can save a painting on a USB drive and pick up right where I left off - on a core i7 system...so speed should be fine.

I am purely looking for any art peeps who also went with a Surface Pro 4 - would love to hear their thoughts.

We're not talking about the speed of the application loading, but the actual lag from the stylus. It's not a 1:1 recreation like a Wacom gives you. Seems like you've already made up your mind though since you've dismissed what were saying.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
We're not talking about the speed of the application loading, but the actual lag from the stylus. It's not a 1:1 recreation like a Wacom gives you. Seems like you've already made up your mind though since you've dismissed what were saying.

Not at all, it's just not constructive or applicable to what I am talking about ... I'm just saying that there is a need that exists - that being: the ability to work mobile. The best options I have seen are the Surface Pro 4 and the iPad Pro. To say that these options aren't as good as working on a desktop with a Cintiq is a moot point. I was merely trying to find other professionals or hobbyists who have gone down this path.

Currently, I use a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 for mobile sketching. It's pretty great, no lag - even compared to my Cintiq. I've just outgrown it, as it's starting to be a little underpowered for what I am working on.

I'm not looking for opinions on tablets as a device to draw/paint on. I am asking those, like myself, who already do - for their opinions on specific hardware.

edit: this is clearly not the place to ask this question, however I know of at least a few pro artists that frequent this site - hence the ask

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
We're not pros, DZ. :crying:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Had you considered a Cintiq Companion 2 by chance? I tested the first gen version while talking to a Wacom rep and it was refreshing to have what is basically a 13HD with brighter screen (300 cmd iirc vs. 250) and not be tethered by the cable. You can get a 5th gen i7 version with Windows and it's literally a portable Cintiq. I decided to go this route so as to streamline the hardware I use for performance, features, and overall usability's sake. The price is steep, but it pays for itself very quickly.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Had you considered a Cintiq Companion 2 by chance? I tested the first gen version while talking to a Wacom rep and it was refreshing to have what is basically a 13HD with brighter screen (300 cmd iirc vs. 250) and not be tethered by the cable. You can get a 5th gen i7 version with Windows and it's literally a portable Cintiq. I decided to go this route so as to streamline the hardware I use for performance, features, and overall usability's sake. The price is steep, but it pays for itself very quickly.

Are you using Adobe CC? I've tried out Photoshop CS6 and CC on the Surface Pro 4 and was pretty disappointed. I started reading some similar complaints about the experience on the Cintiq 2....also read the battery only lasts about 3 hrs. What programs do you typically use on it?

For anyone wondering - the Surface Pro 4 is a big "meh"...the hardware is amazing, but if you want it for drawing in photoshop it's a lackluster experience thanks to Adobe not really being good at tablet experiences.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Are you using Adobe CC? I've tried out Photoshop CS6 and CC on the Surface Pro 4 and was pretty disappointed. I started reading some similar complaints about the experience on the Cintiq 2....also read the battery only lasts about 3 hrs. What programs do you typically use on it?

For anyone wondering - the Surface Pro 4 is a big "meh"...the hardware is amazing, but if you want it for drawing in photoshop it's a lackluster experience thanks to Adobe not really being good at tablet experiences.

That's a good question. I've never tried CS6 on the C2, I mainly use Sketchbook Pro 6.2, Mischief, Pro Motion 6.5, and Z-Brush. I can definitely vouch for the lackluster battery life though, an issue for sure on long outings.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

So exactly what we said the other day. LOL. I gotta ask though, if you're a "pro" why are you drawing in Photoshop? There are a dozen better programs to be using.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
That's a good question. I've never tried CS6 on the C2, I mainly use Sketchbook Pro 6.2, Mischief, Pro Motion 6.5, and Z-Brush. I can definitely vouch for the lackluster battery life though, an issue for sure on long outings.
Niiiiice, I love Pro Motion! Reminds me of the old sprite creator Deluxe Paint from BITD.

Have you tried Pickle Editor? It's not as feature-filled as Pro Motion, but it's got a nicer UI and it's a lot smaller footprint from being a more simple editor. I've been trying it out and I was impressed by the interface mostly.

So exactly what we said the other day. LOL. I gotta ask though, if you're a "pro" why are you drawing in Photoshop? There are a dozen better programs to be using.
Pros still use Photoshop. It's still the standard for the creative industries, even concept artists still paint in PS.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

Was looking for opinions on the hardware from people who have used it professionally...and yes it is similar to what you were saying. However, you guys are just dismissing tablets altogether which had nothing to do with what I was asking about - also, totally disagree about PS as an artist's tool for 2D art. But that's subjective.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Was looking for opinions on the hardware from people who have used it professionally...and yes it is similar to what you were saying. However, you guys are just dismissing tablets altogether which had nothing to do with what I was asking about - also, totally disagree about PS as an artist's tool for 2D art. But that's subjective.
Sorry for going OT, dude. I too am interested in hearing what the best options are for artists on-the-go.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Sorry for going OT, dude. I too am interested in hearing what the best options are for artists on-the-go.

I would argue it was still on-topic hahah no worries

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Niiiiice, I love Pro Motion! Reminds me of the old sprite creator Deluxe Paint from BITD.

Have you tried Pickle Editor? It's not as feature-filled as Pro Motion, but it's got a nicer UI and it's a lot smaller footprint from being a more simple editor. I've been trying it out and I was impressed by the interface mostly.

Pros still use Photoshop. It's still the standard for the creative industries, even concept artists still paint in PS.

My buddy is actually an artist for a pretty big company and his wife is a clothing designer and they both use Z-Brush. He often says that Photoshop is the worst of the many options out there. My area of design doesn't require much if any sketching though. I design forms, bills, and other various items that other land variable data on, so I need to have precise control in the software I use, which is why I hate the Surface's laggy mess of a stylus.

Also @pixeljunkie. I'm not dismissing tablets all together, I was telling you the surface is a crap option from.personal experience.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
My buddy is actually an artist for a pretty big company and his wife is a clothing designer and they both use Z-Brush. He often says that Photoshop is the worst of the many options out there. My area of design doesn't require much if any sketching though. I design forms, bills, and other various items that other land variable data on, so I need to have precise control in the software I use, which is why I hate the Surface's laggy mess of a stylus.

Z-Brush is rad as hell...for 3D - plus I have 20+ years in PS, so it's definitely an extension of my body at this point.

I didn't mind the Surface's stylus THAT much - i didn't experience any lag. It was really a matter of the program. PS sucked, Sketchable was quite nice...but I need to learn another program like I need a bullet to the head. What i hate about the Surface is the screen is like smooshy plastic...just felt gross

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
My buddy is actually an artist for a pretty big company and his wife is a clothing designer and they both use Z-Brush. He often says that Photoshop is the worst of the many options out there.
Which big company? I'd also like to know what are the other many options out there that are better than PS. I've been using PS professionally for about 17 years now, but am always open to trying out new software if it makes my processes a bit better.

Z-Brush is rad as hell...for 3D - plus I have 20+ years in PS, so it's definitely an extension of my body at this point.
^this. Z-brush is damn good (and fun!) for sculpting in 3D.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I'd also like to know what are the other many options out there that are better than PS. I've been using PS professionally for about 17 years now, but am always open to trying out new software if it makes my processes a bit better.

I am always looking for new stuff too - friend of mine that worked on the new King's Quest game is a fan of Paint Tool SAI...although I haven't messed with it much.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Which big company? I'd also like to know what are the other many options out there that are better than PS. I've been using PS professionally for about 17 years now, but am always open to trying out new software if it makes my processes a bit better.

^this. Z-brush is damn good (and fun!) for sculpting in 3D.

He works for Scripps which is a patent company of a ton of US cable networks. He does there in house art and recently did a campaign for Lowes. He told me I needed to learn ZBrush and Corel if I wanted to move to the next level. He gave me a list of stuff I should also try as they were superior to anything Adobe puts out, but it's sitting in my desk at work. I know one was Stencil and I think another was called Weaver.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I often try out the software that comes out on steam to see what is looming on the horizon for graphics software, especially since the discounts are crazy as the buyer is basically beta testing for these software companies. A really quirky one that doesn't seem as practical in a professional setting (at least not without a steep learning curve) is BlackICE; GPU-generated randomized toolsets make for an interesting experience to say the least.

Other than Z-Brush for action figure/statue sculpts, I don't really have much experience in 3D rendering or animation. My background is pretty much all in classical animation, character design, and set-piece/background design. I do tackle advertisements, promotional, and sports club designs on occasion, but I still mock it all up by hand the 'old fashioned' way, so Sketchbook Pro is still my 'go to' for most things.

@opt2not: I'll have to check out Pickle Editor, I hadn't heard of that one before.

One other piece of hardware that I've tried because I was curious, and because I still tend to keep a pad and pencil in my bag, is the Wacom Inkling. It's small, clips on to the top of your pad, and records everything you sketch in it's memory which you can dump and work with when you get home to the pc. Maybe not suitable for your needs pixlejunkie, but I though it worth throwing out there as another neat option.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
One other piece of hardware that I've tried because I was curious, and because I still tend to keep a pad and pencil in my bag, is the Wacom Inkling. It's small, clips on to the top of your pad, and records everything you sketch in it's memory which you can dump and work with when you get home to the pc. Maybe not suitable for your needs pixlejunkie, but I though it worth throwing out there as another neat option.

Nice! What's your thoughts on it? Accurate?

I mainly work in photoshop/illustrator. Commercial art, some concept art. I used to be in 3D but that was waaaayyy back in 3DS Max days [whispers] like, late 90's polygonal modeling.

Last edited: