Things considered cheap

lone_REBEL

Armored Scrum Object
OK what is it that is considered cheap while playing games? What I can think of at the moment are:
*- Trying to overwhelm a player with fireballs or using fireballs against a character who doesn't have them.
*- Playing jump and sweep (i.e. first giving a jumping attack and then a sweep kick)
*- Cheap tactics while using grapplers (i.e. calling a striker to throw them to a guard and then grappling them)

What else do you have to add in this list?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Honestly, I wouldn't consider any of those cheap in a balanced fighting game. All of them can be countered by a proficient player quite easily.

What I consider cheap in a fighting game is exploiting bugs or infinites, or using unbalanced boss characters in a real competitive environment.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Broken ass priorities and lack of substantial lag on abusable moves are always my favorite bitch material.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
GohanX said:
Honestly, I wouldn't consider any of those cheap in a balanced fighting game. All of them can be countered by a proficient player quite easily.

What I consider cheap in a fighting game is exploiting bugs or infinites, or using unbalanced boss characters in a real competitive environment.
most fighting games aren't though

i'll add

Ken

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
GohanX said:

Same here.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
GohanX said:

Ditto.

Even in an unbalanced fighting game, a proficient player should be able to counter those moves.

Remember, in a fighting game, players should choose characters they are proficient with. If not, they have two choices: practice to improve play with that character, or choose someone else.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Here's a good one...

Hit the other player's start button to make him do a taunt...

Then run a Double/Triple gage DM on his ass.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Here's a good one...

:lol:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
norton9478 said:
Here's a good one...

That's not cheap, just funny as f**k under the right circumstances.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Blocking. Blocking is cheap.
Real players take the hit full on and keep going.

Projectiles are cheap.
Soooo unrealistic. No one can throw ki in real life.
Now guns, guns are another story. Totally not cheap to use a gun when you're being pummeled.

Throwing is cheap.
Throws give too much damage. And getting close enough to throw is a major faux pas.

Using joystick movements is cheap.
Pulling off those "special moves" is too cheap. Especially since it takes time and practice and can be "abused."

Winning by KO is cheap.
Light kicks and punches should only be implemented. Time Over wins are OK. Because that way, we're all winners, because everybody had fun.

More as I think of them.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
kernow said:
Oh yeah!

DMs/SDMs/LDMs/Supers/Super Counters/ and Alpha Counters
are ESPECIALLY cheap!
I mean, having to do twice to three times the joystick movement for a suped up special move that does ultra damage is more than Cheap!

Now, EO users can be excused, because it only takes one button to do the move.
Less movement = less cheap. So more forgivable.
Still not okay to win using this method.
Only acceptable wins are time overs.
Like I said before. We all win when nobody really gets hurt and we all have fun. :)

lone_REBEL

Armored Scrum Object
norton9478 said:
Here's a good one...

NEVER EVER try that one in an arcade. One outsider tried in here and he got a hammer punch in his face for that.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
lone_REBEL said:
NEVER EVER try that one in an arcade. One outsider tried in here and he got a hammer punch in his face for that.

Serves him right.

I remember when SS III first came out and some newbie who never played the game was asking what was up with the grade select. This Bust Hanzo player who was owning on the machine purposedly had the guy select Upper grade and proceeded to give the poor guy the ass kicking of a lifetime. It was only after he lost did the Hanzo player tell him that he couldn't block in Upper grade.

Bastard!

There's alot to be said for good sportsmanship, even in videogames.

SNKman

Mr. Big's Thug
Ive experienced the opposite, yesterday a guy game into gamejunkie and me showed me on the arcade machine some of the bascics of Marvel vs. Street fighter. and he took to time to teach me on how do different characters. I am a beast with cyclops!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, another thing cheap-facing a guy who works at the arcade.

Anecdote:

Shortly after SvC Chaos came out I tracked down an arcade an hour from here that had the game. I drove down there, and there was a decent crowd around. I played a little bit, using Ryu at first and getting my ass kicked (I have a hard time doing some of his moves in the game to this day) then I switched to Terry, did a bit better, and finally chose Ryo. I am great with Ryo in KOF, and he plays pretty much the same in SvC.

So, I'm still learning the system but I'm otherwise kicking some ass in the game. I'm not the best there, but I'm winning more than losing, and am quite proud to myself.

Then, a guy who works at the arcade who has been eyeing us the whole time comes up and picks Terry. I'm not even sure if I ever hit him. He did some magically painful stuff that to this day I still don't know how to do. Ouch.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cheapest thing someone did to me was during an SF2 tourney back in the day and I was using Ryu and he hit me with a razor kick and when I getting back up he did the handcuff and kept me like that until 8 seconds left and then he threw me. What an ass, but he fought my friend Dean next and he was one of the few that mastered the invisible throw when it first came out so not too many people have seen it. It was just brutal, I bought Dean lunch that day. :D

lone_REBEL

Armored Scrum Object
YeldellGW said:
Serves him right.

I remember when SS III first came out and some newbie who never played the game was asking what was up with the grade select. This Bust Hanzo player who was owning on the machine purposedly had the guy select Upper grade and proceeded to give the poor guy the ass kicking of a lifetime. It was only after he lost did the Hanzo player tell him that he couldn't block in Upper grade.

Bastard!

There's alot to be said for good sportsmanship, even in videogames.
I agree exactly to that.
Here we have different arcade controls for Tekken series. So its common for challengers to ask people to let them see the stick configuration. But some pople are so damn idiot they don't allow people to check the button confuguration and beat them up. Its totally against sportsman spirit. Some other idiots are more than that. They walk back (giving them time to see the button conf) and then run and give an unblockable headshot. I ALWAYS insert a coin to fuck those motherfuckers' asses coz Tekken series is the only game that I'm one of the best players in the county.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Pics of your mother naked?

Paid 50 cents!

j/k

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
galfordo said:
The entire Tekken series?

lolz :tickled:

That is so damn true it isn't even funny almost. I know these 3 brothers that played Tekken more than they eat or sleep since Tekken 2 in 96 and even more on Tekken 3 in 98. The older brother was really good and owned a lot of people, the middle brother was mediocre at it and the youngest brother was a God Damned Demon. This was all by the time Tekken 3 came out for a few months when everyone got really good.

The youngest (Josh), got to the point where he knew how to block and do all the 10 hit combos, how to counter any punch, kick, move, throw and he even ducked 99.9% when you attempt a throw move even if sneaked in on him. He was also one of those people that did ridiculous air juggles and would keep you on the ground hitting you constantly. His reaction time isn't human, he executes things almost too perfect.

When Tekken 5 came out I just said to hell with it cause he mastered overpowered characters that I think are unbalanced (Feng and Marduk). This just makes the game not fun, no matter how much I practiced it was fucking pointless. Sure, it made me really good, but not like his ass when he would play the second he got out of school. These guys kinda ruined the series for me.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
SNKNostalgia said:
That is so damn true it isn't even funny almost. I know these 3 brothers that played Tekken more than they eat or sleep since Tekken 2 in 96 and even more on Tekken 3 in 98. The older brother was really good and owned a lot of people, the middle brother was mediocre at it and the youngest brother was a God Damned Demon. This was all by the time Tekken 3 came out for a few months when everyone got really good.

The youngest (Josh), got to the point where he knew how to block and do all the 10 hit combos, how to counter any punch, kick, move, throw and he even ducked 99.9% when you attempt a throw move even if sneaked in on him. He was also one of those people that did ridiculous air juggles and would keep you on the ground hitting you constantly. His reaction time isn't human, he executes things almost too perfect.

When Tekken 5 came out I just said to hell with it cause he mastered overpowered characters that I think are unbalanced (Feng and Marduk). This just makes the game not fun, no matter how much I practiced it was fucking pointless. Sure, it made me really good, but not like his ass when he would play the second he got out of school. These guys kinda ruined the series for me.

Play Tekken 5:DR.

It is the most balanced Tekken game to date. Namco is trying to do the right thing by players, by releasing updates these days. If it's considered cheap, it will get toned down in the next release, much like what VF has been doing for years.

Tekken 6 is currently out in Japan and so far it seems that the newcomer Bob is broken. Other characters struggle to push the 30 to 40% damage in juggles, but Bob pushes 50% with ease. I assume he'll get toned down.

Balancing 3D fighters isn't really that hard, the old formula still applies
Damage potential for executing "X" attack vs Damage received from executing "X" attack.

It's weird, using the above formula Tekken Tag is easily the most broken fighter in the entire series. What makes it balanced is that every character in the cast has enough broken/abusable attacks to make the game, well somewhat balanced. :lolz:

For the record Feng may be broken in 5.0 but Marduk isn't overpowered. Since he's been introduced he has remained the most balanced character in the cast.

lone_REBEL

Armored Scrum Object
Is using a fireball character against a non-fireball character, cheap thing to do?