The World Ends With You

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've been keeping an eye on it since July; figured it'd be releasing right around now, since Square is known for their six-month localizations.

I'm willing to stomach the Nomura designs considering how unique the game is.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I finally found a copy of this, it has been sold out everywhere around me. (Even GameStop online is still back ordered).

I have put about 15 hours into this and it is one of the best hand held games I have ever played. (One of the best games on any system). Really addictive and unique game play with a very interesting story.

I suggest checking it out if you get the chance. The reviews are pretty great for this game and it deserves the high marks. It did take me a few hours to understand the combat system. (just a warning)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I decided to not get it; in the end, I just can't stomach those designs.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I finally found a copy of this, it has been sold out everywhere around me. (Even GameStop online is still back ordered).

I have put about 15 hours into this and it is one of the best hand held games I have ever played. (One of the best games on any system). Really addictive and unique game play with a very interesting story.

I suggest checking it out if you get the chance. The reviews are pretty great for this game and it deserves the high marks. It did take me a few hours to understand the combat system. (just a warning)

I want to play it but I've been using my free time at work to read.

Only time I play handhelds on the go is, well, on the go.

I'll snag a copy used sometime down the line.

Looks unique and enjoyable.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I want to play it but I've been using my free time at work to read.

Only time I play handhelds on the go is, well, on the go.

I'll snag a copy used sometime down the line.

Looks unique and enjoyable.

I hardly ever play my DS but we went to a lake house with some friends, so I picked up the game prior to going. The weather ended up being pretty wet and cold, so I put in a lot of time into the game and loved it.

This game has got me interested in portable gaming again. This is a quality game and I am glad that I didn't over look it. Giive it a shot when you get the chance, I am pretty sure you will love it. Pretty much great everything and a ton of stuff to collect.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I am going to have to be the voice of dissent on this one. I got it the day it came out, had it preordered... hated it. I just really hated the gameplay. Felt like mostly button-mashing to me, really, especially on the top screen.

I dunno, I really don't like when DS games try to take tried and true conventions and make them completely touch-controlled, like, say, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, for instance. This didn't work for me, similarly. The one exception for me would be Phantom Hourglass, I think.

The story is pretty interesting, but all the "hip," "edgy," dialog started to grate on me, too.

I'm sure I'm in a very small minority on this one, but it just really didn't work for me.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I am going to have to be the voice of dissent on this one. I got it the day it came out, had it preordered... hated it. I just really hated the gameplay. Felt like mostly button-mashing to me, really, especially on the top screen.

I dunno, I really don't like when DS games try to take tried and true conventions and make them completely touch-controlled, like, say, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, for instance. This didn't work for me, similarly. The one exception for me would be Phantom Hourglass, I think.

The story is pretty interesting, but all the "hip," "edgy," dialog started to grate on me, too.

I'm sure I'm in a very small minority on this one, but it just really didn't work for me.

How long did you play it? I am at over 15 hours and I am still trying to master the combat. It seems like button mashing but it is very complex if you want to be good at it. Not to mention, using the right pins (out of the over 300) is key as well.

I can see people not liking this. The look is cool but odd, the game play is simple but complex, so it won't be for everyone. The story is great though and it is actually my favorite DS game. I would say that for the first two hours, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it or not. I am glad that I did.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
How long did you play it? I am at over 15 hours and I am still trying to master the combat. It seems like button mashing but it is very complex if you want to be good at it. Not to mention, using the right pins (out of the over 300) is key as well.

I can see people not liking this. The look is cool but odd, the game play is simple but complex, so it won't be for everyone. The story is great though and it is actually my favorite DS game. I would say that for the first two hours, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it or not. I am glad that I did.

About 2 and a half hours. I just really couldn't get into the scan area, tap a monster, kill monsters, repeat gameplay. And I really, really didn't find the combat engaging.

I dunno, just not my cup of tea, you know? Talk about a really gay way to put that, wow, whoever came up with that phrase should be beaten. And saying gay right there wasn't very nice, sorry bloodhokuto. Just, yeah, not my thing. I just wasn't liking it at all, was finding that the only reason at all that I was playing it was to try to see if I would like it enough to keep playing it- not usually a good sign. After that much time, I still didn't, so I decided to get rid of it, especially considering that I disliked a fundamental component (the combat) as much as I did.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
The combat was frustrating, I didn't care for the game.

Love the art direction and soundtrack though.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
I bought it today. I'm going to Florida for a week and needed something to pass the time on the long bus trip. I actually found a place that had it within 100 miles of me. Most of the usual places were sold out of it. Gamestop, the local walmart/kmart, Best Buy. I looked up Wal-Mart.com and it said there was a copy in Murphysboro. It looks pretty interesting. I can see where many would be turned off. I'll give a few hours and give my input.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Picked this up along with Suber Dodgeball Brawlers (Kunio Kun) for the DS today. Man they weren't kidding that this game is one backorder! The dude @ Gamestop had a copy that he didn't add into inventory and found it in the back.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I bought it today. I'm going to Florida for a week and needed something to pass the time on the long bus trip. I actually found a place that had it within 100 miles of me. Most of the usual places were sold out of it. Gamestop, the local walmart/kmart, Best Buy. I looked up Wal-Mart.com and it said there was a copy in Murphysboro. It looks pretty interesting. I can see where many would be turned off. I'll give a few hours and give my input.

Yes, this can be a hard game to find in a store, a lot of places have been back ordered for a while.

Make sure you give the game at least 2-3 hours, as the combat is a little different than most games. A lot of people forget that the top screen character will fight on their own (after a few seconds, depending on your settings). I enjoy taking control of both characters but it can seem a little too much early on.

Here is a quote from Tatsuya Kando (the game's director)

"Players should first concentrate on becoming comfortable with the lower-screen controls. Once they feel that they have a grasp of them, they can try their hands at the upper-screen controls. By keeping an eye on both screens and the balls of light that appear with the finishing moves, players can further improve their efficiency."

I am at around 20 hours right now and think it is the best DS game out there.

Ruell

Yes, this can be a hard game to find in a store, a lot of places have been back ordered for a while.

Make sure you give the game at least 2-3 hours, as the combat is a little different than most games. A lot of people forget that the top screen character will fight on their own (after a few seconds, depending on your settings). I enjoy taking control of both characters but it can seem a little too much early on.

Here is a quote from Tatsuya Kando (the game's director)

"Players should first concentrate on becoming comfortable with the lower-screen controls. Once they feel that they have a grasp of them, they can try their hands at the upper-screen controls. By keeping an eye on both screens and the balls of light that appear with the finishing moves, players can further improve their efficiency."

I am at around 20 hours right now and think it is the best DS game out there.

Eh, I have a 18 bus trip, I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to get a feel for the game by then.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
This is one of the first DS RPGs that really has stood out. Too bad I can't find a copy here in town.:oh_no:

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
This is one of the first DS RPGs that really has stood out. Too bad I can't find a copy here in town.:oh_no:

I am not sure why it is hard to find in retail stores, since it was released back in April. I know that GameStop.Com has been backordered on this for a while now.

Out of the dozens of Gamestops within a 100 miles of me, I finally found one that had a copy and that is how I got my copy. Prior to that, I had checked pretty much every store without any luck.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I am not sure why it is hard to find in retail stores, since it was released back in April. I know that GameStop.Com has been backordered on this for a while now.

Out of the dozens of Gamestops within a 100 miles of me, I finally found one that had a copy and that is how I got my copy. Prior to that, I had checked pretty much every store without any luck.

I might just have to go to a Wally World or Best Buy as the nearest GS with one is nearly 60 miles away.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I might just have to go to a Wally World or Best Buy as the nearest GS with one is nearly 60 miles away.

I had a copy in my hand the other day.

Had I known people were having trouble tracking it down I'd have snatched it for you.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I had a copy in my hand the other day.

Had I known people were having trouble tracking it down I'd have snatched it for you.

I'm with ya. I figured it being a new Square DS RPG it would be everywhere. This is one of those Tetris DS moments.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Interesting, but the fighting is hard to get used to. I feel like I'm just randomly rubbing the touch pad with the stylus and I have no idea what's going on at the top. And you're constantly reading, and the dialogue is the usual cheesy crap you'd expect from a square enix rpg trying to be hip which comes off as very lame. Art isn't bad, but it's a little over the top, just seems so, what's the word? Dunno, he's the same dude that did the kingdom hearts art character designs, right? Just a lot of busy trying-too-hardish style, I don't know. I'll play it some more, try to figure things out.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
So is anyone still playing this? (gameoz) This thread has been dead for about a week now and for some reason I want to play it some more (still haven't since my last post). Anyone beat it?

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
So is anyone still playing this? (gameoz) This thread has been dead for about a week now and for some reason I want to play it some more (still haven't since my last post). Anyone beat it?

Yes, I am still playing it. (Pretty much every day). I beat it (took around 25 hours) but then you just keep going and there is a ton of stuff to collect ect. I am around 30 hours now and still love it.

I feel like I am still learning/mastering the combat and with so much to collect, I don't see myself growning bored anytime soon. There are also some things that can be unlocked by trading or using different DS systems, so I am going to try to do that as well.

I just stopped posting about it because the few people here that have tried it, didn't seem to like it. (Which is the complete opposite of every review and any other place that I have read up on this game).

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Snagged this last night. It appears to be pretty available here. If you need one, drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to get one for you.

Ruell

Well, I've had a few hours to play it during my trip. I slept most of the time on the bus. I only got as far as day4. I liked the gameplay actually. It takes a while to get used to using both character screens though. good thing for auto pilot mode. I don't have much time to play it though, so I'll probably have to put it a way for a while.