The SNK Millennium...a bit more real then we all probably thought

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Wow, this is really cool. I thought this was just SNK making stuff up. I’m surprised they thought they had the capital to develop new hardware in ‘98

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Thanks for the sleuthing as always! Very interesting tid-bits to chew on for old-time fans. Excited for part 2 - what else is there left to cover?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Wow, this is really cool. I thought this was just SNK making stuff up. I’m surprised they thought they had the capital to develop new hardware in ‘98
I think that's why the board is licensed hardware. SH-4 processor with a rumored Matrox graphics card. They aren't developing custom silicon. Easy way to do it "cheap"

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks for the sleuthing as always! Very interesting tid-bits to chew on for old-time fans. Excited for part 2 - what else is there left to cover?
Part 2 WONT be next week. I shouldn't have said that when I made the video lol

Part 2 will be more "boring"...bios examination of details and pulling Matrox powered games from that era to project what Millennium would have been capable of.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Fantastic work and what an intriguing find.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Amazing find! The imagination can't help but run wild with the possibilities!

By the way, nice touch on the Mahjong Kyoretsuden music. That's a decent Neo Geo soundtrack that doesn't get much play.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Amazing find! The imagination can't help but run wild with the possibilities!

By the way, nice touch on the Mahjong Kyoretsuden music. That's a decent Neo Geo soundtrack that doesn't get much play.
Haha thanks. I wanted to use some deeper cut Neo Geo music for the video and I needed something relaxing!

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Wow very interesting. Reminds me in a way of the prototype board that exists for the successor to the atari jaguar since they are both unreleased successor hardware from companies that were doing poorly financially.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Haha thanks. I wanted to use some deeper cut Neo Geo music for the video and I needed something relaxing!
Agreed. Also, the vocal tracks found only in the cartridge version would've been distracting.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I also wonder if they got further in development than this? Maybe some games started development on it? A 3D metal slug or kof would have been interesting.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Worth the wait. Thanks so much for sharing this with the world (and also to the person who let you borrow the board).

A new console to compete with the PS1, N64, and Dreamcast would have likely been a failure unfortunately. Either it would have failed out of the gate because of all the competition and not having that niche of "arcade perfect" games that make all the other consoles look like crap for years, or it it would have been wrecked by the PS2 a couple years later.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Wow very interesting. Reminds me in a way of the prototype board that exists for the successor to the atari jaguar since they are both unreleased successor hardware from companies that were doing poorly financially.
Exactly. SNK was probably already working on this when they were finishing up the Hyper. Nobody waits for X console to launch before working on the next one.

I am sure PS6 and whatever the shit MS will call the next Xbox were already under experimental development before PS5 and Series X shipped

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I also wonder if they got further in development than this? Maybe some games started development on it? A 3D metal slug or kof would have been interesting.
Maybe? So hard to say. That would be awesome if it was the case

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Worth the wait. Thanks so much for sharing this with the world (and also to the person who let you borrow the board).

A new console to compete with the PS1, N64, and Dreamcast would have likely been a failure unfortunately. Either it would have failed out of the gate because of all the competition and not having that niche of "arcade perfect" games that make all the other consoles look like crap for years, or it it would have been wrecked by the PS2 a couple years later.
Thanks.

I don’t think it would have succeeded either. But it’s possible. Strap a DVD drive on it and get it to market before PS2 and you have a slim chance

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Lol the amount of random shitty comments I’ve gotten other places about the board make me know I’m dealing with Neo Geo

c’mon forum...where’s the shit talking? 🤣

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Absolutely fascinating! I hope this article spreads on social media and that one of the devs will comment on this discovery.

Thank you for your hard work and for sharing :buttrock:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Absolutely fascinating! I hope this article spreads on social media and that one of the devs will comment on this discovery.

Thank you for your hard work and for sharing :buttrock:
So far the stats are fading quicker than a fart in the wind lolol

Hyper prototype did 25k in a day. This one currently has 900 😂

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Hopefully it's a sleeper then. Great vid, looking forward to the next one. Glad to finally get some info on this board, I've been sitting on for a decade and a half.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Ha! I'm sure the offers will just start pouring in now. Early retirement here I come!
Haha I wouldn’t be surprised if you did get offers. I’ve gotten plenty on the Hyper prototype

you know where to send the 10% “hype fee” when you cash out lolol