The Rumble Fish

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Let's face, it. In this "retro world" we're living in, nothing is really passe. Nothing except of the Atomiswave, that is. I'm sure it was the whole Spiritual successor-to-the-Neo-that's-less-powerful than the Naomi tag is what set it up to be a big disappointment for most.

But I'll be damned, The Rumble Fish is awesome. I just played the PS2 port for the first time in years since owning it. I'd really like to try Rumble Fish 2.

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
I had some good memories playing this game in college along with 3rd Strike. I was hoping the we'd get an XBLA/PSN port when the Nesica x Live version of Rumble Fish 2 was announced, but I guess it ain't coming.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
But I'll be damned, The Rumble Fish is awesome. I just played the PS2 port for the first time in years since owning it. I'd really like to try Rumble Fish 2.
It's a nice game. Has a nice unique feel to it. Suppose it should come as no surprise that this company went on to mastermind Street Fighter 4 for Capcom eventually, although Rumble Fish looks nicer (imo).

Haven't played it for some time, but I remember liking Garnet specifically. I have a thing for the 'kickers'...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes, I know that DIMPS developed this and went onto SFIV fame. As far is I understand, The Rumble Fish games are their only fighting game efforts that weren't based on licenses or per-existing Intellectual properties.

I've been using Aran mostly, and although I'm just getting a feel for the engine and I don't know how to make the custom combo mode work to my advantage I came up with a decent bread and butter combo

C.lk,C lk, C. lp, C.hp, qcb lp, qcb lp, super cancel qcf x2 HP, dp HK. He's like if Iori and Shen Woo had a kid. Lot's of fun.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I actually thought this was a fishing game (with... a rumble feature?) before I saw videos of it. What an odd name for a fighting game.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The Atomiswave is awesome. There aren't many games on the system, but there is only one stinker in the thirteen that use normal controls that I can think of, and it's an SNK Playmore game. The Atomiswave is yet one more thing people at this forum are wrong about.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The Atomiswave is awesome. There aren't many games on the system, but there is only one stinker in the thirteen that use normal controls that I can think of, and it's an SNK Playmore game. The Atomiswave is yet one more thing people at this forum are wrong about.

Are people on this forum wrong about things? I'd say more often than not. Then again, my views are rarely instep with the general consensus around here. My take on this particular issue could be the exception. I wouldn't know.

The Atomiswave was the "it" hardware of yesteryear. Initially embraced, and viewed as a successor to the Neo, it ended up loosing that status over time, and rightfully so. We were graced with what?
Five SNKP titles, Guilty Gears, Hokuto No Guilty Gear, Knights of Valorneowave, Dolphin Front, a Dynamite Dekka knock off.

It reeked as a transitional piece of hardware for a company, who once had a pretty solid identity and lost it. At the end of the day, I like the Atomiswave, I think The Rumble Fish is the most interesting title on the hardware, and I stand by my original post.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Are people on this forum wrong about things? I'd say more often than not. Then again, my views are rarely instep with the general consensus around here. My take on this particular issue could be the exception. I wouldn't know.

The Atomiswave was the "it" hardware of yesteryear. Initially embraced, and viewed as a successor to the Neo, it ended up loosing that status over time, and rightfully so. We were graced with what?
Five SNKP titles, Guilty Gears, Hokuto No Guilty Gear, Knights of Valorneowave, Dolphin Front, a Dynamite Dekka knock off.

It reeked as a transitional piece of hardware for a company, who once had a pretty solid identity and lost it. At the end of the day, I like the Atomiswave, I think The Rumble Fish is the most interesting title on the hardware, and I stand by my original post.

LOL, only people that called it the successor to the Neo Geo were people here. It was a short-lived arcade console in a long tradition of short-lived arcade consoles. Thirteen standard control games, two racers and four shooting games, plus a couple betting games thrown in for good measure. By anyone's count, that's hardly a failure. Every fighter has its merits, save for NeoWave, Demolish Fist is fun as hell, Dolphin Blue is really cool and Metal Slug 6 isn't the best Slug, but it sure as hell beats 4 and 5. Not sure what you're going on about. Aren't you the one who says Rumble Fish is good? I agree with you, and think everyone who talks shit about the Atomiswave is kind of dumb. So, I stand by my statement as well.

This site is so full of chest thumping. It's fucking stupid. Do you like playing the games? Are they fun? Cool. Not sure what else you're looking for. Sorry the Atomiswave doesn't have the collectability of the Neo, but the people who actually play games seem to like the damn thing.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^

Collectability as well as the "chest thumping" that goes on here are obviously both irrelevant to my point :The Atomiswave has an underwhelming library as a whole.

The expectational delusions of the people on here ( which is independent of my stance posted above) was initially touched upon as a lighthearted preface to my Rumble Fish gay crush manifesto. I can see how my form of preface could be misleading. It doesn't necessarily reflect my values concerning the merits of a hardwares library quality, yet one could draw parallels : many people on here think the AW sucks for their reasons. I think it (kind of) sucks for different reasons.

Gameplay wise, I maintain that the Atomiswave had weak entries within strong series's, and the games aren't going to age much better than they already have. Personally, I don't give a shit about it's failure to bear an imaginary torch, but I felt like making mention of it in my OP for whatever reason. Maybe subconsciously I was looking for a rise out of people.

Call my wall of text chest thumping, whatever that means, but I hope this clarifies what I'm "going on about". Ultimately my feelings on the subject aren't as strong as yours. But I can relate, because I certainly have my strong biases, and many times I've found myself championing a game, or hardware, or band, or whatever to an ill informed camp that ignorantly and unfairly pans it. For the sake of the argument, you win. I don't have it out for the Atomiswave. It wasn't that bad.

EDIT: I love KOF XI.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
My thinks you protest too much. Never once did I say you were bashing the console. If anything, I was championing your post as one of the few that don't sit here and bash the Atomiswave for no reason. I simply said, and I quote:

RabbitTroop said:
The Atomiswave is yet one more thing people at this forum are wrong about.

Look, I don't make any money if people like the Atomiswave. I don't benefit in any way, shape or form. I just get tired every time someone mentions the Atomiswave all we hear is: it's the Naomi's retarded brother, that it sucks, that it is a joke of a console. Go spend 15 minutes on System16 and look at how many other arcade systems received the treatment the Atomiswave got. Most have several iterations of the same game which nobody has ever played. At least the Atomiswave got some unique titles and some big series titles, regardless if they're not regarded as series best. Fuck, when was the last fan favorite Slug, 13 years ago. I don't think any of them are bad, even if they are just one-more-game in the Guilty Gear, KoF, SS, Metal Slug, etc series. The couple of standout titles are pretty cool, the system is dirt cheap, the games are OK priced if you spend some time hunting for originals or want to scoop up all the boots. So there, feel better? Now go play some Rumble Fish and stop feeling so dirty because the people at Neo-Geo.com think you're lame for touching an Atomiswave port.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Never once did I say you were bashing the console.

Yeah, I've never claimed you've said that either.

If anything, I was championing your post as one of the few that don't sit here and bash the Atomiswave for no reason.

I didn't get that impression, but It's ok.

If the imaginary people here think I'm dirty or lame, that's ok too. That's not my concern, perhaps I've made some serious errors within my posts if I've conveyed that sort of message.

I think I have the arguing for the sake of argument bug out of my system. I'll say You're a stand up guy as far as having a civil disagreement goes.

EDIT: Way back in post # 6 maybe the "one more thing people at this forum are wrong about" tag, wasn't necessarily in reference to me. If this is the case, I'll own up to being inappropriately defensive.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I've never owned an AW first hand, but have all the ports that were made available for PS2 and have enjoyed the majority. Like RT said, probably NeoWave was the only exception. Didn't enjoy that one too much, although AOF2 Geese was a nice touch.

So, next question is asideath... any designs on TRFish2? Always wanted to play that myself...