The Rohingya diaspora

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Thr past couple of days in the news the subject of Myanmar's handling of the muslim Rohingya people in Rakhine has continued to build. Yesterday the number of Rohingya who were displaced was 87,000. Today the UN claims 123,000.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...myanmar.html?referer=https://news.google.com/

On August 25, a group of militant muslims attacked multiple outposts, claiming they wanted to protect the people. The government retaliated by burning their homes and firing on people from helicopters.

Even though Suu Kyi, who was recently elected in Myanmar, after being held in prison as an activist for years, has done what was necessary to handle the (terror) attacks, she has faced verbal attacks from political figures in the muslim world. Indonesia's government has been harsh, but more mysteriously, nobel peace prize winner Malala has attacked Suu Kyi for not doing more. Which is why I consider the 8/25 rohingya attacks are potentially terror related now.

Malala seems to be speaking for the Pakistani government - the same one that hid Osama Bin Laden and stymied US efforts for years. If Malala is now the voicebox for this pakistani regime, she needs to be stripped of her nobel prize.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's a mess. When I went in February I wasn't allowed to go north where the Rohingya live. Suu Kyi, and well, what is she exactly? A spokesperson for Myanmar? The shadowy military junta that rules Myanmar has no face, no visible leadership - so what is Suu Kyi to do? She is clearly a puppet of sorts. The military leadership will not let up anytime soon.

It can be said that this is a genocide of Rohingya people. Clearly not on the same scale as Jews in WWII, but a genocide nonetheless. What is the answer? What can they do? A terrible situation for which I have no answer.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Systematic displacement of an ethnic group does qualify as genocide. I believe that this will snowball into a war crimes tribunal, but I also think the muslim world (saudis, pakistanis) is behind it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What do you think should be done to help them?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
is this more ethnic or religious?