The Official GP2X Thread

ray_7

Nice... I thought about the 2500 too. I got the 15-min charger that came with 4 2200mah batteries. Can I charge the 2500 there too??

NeoGeo2k2

Noooooooo peeking ;-),
no clue.
But man 15min, that's great.
This take about 8 hours to be full charge, but at least it comes with 6 so you always have a spare..

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
NeoGeo2k2 said:
A long time..
About 4 hours or maybe a little more, I had it on from 8 to almost 1 last night.
But a lit of on and off, cuase the game keep on freezing.
I'm using Energizer Rechargeables 2500mAh.
I had it at 274 for a while but the game would freeze every now and then, and I was like WTF...Thank god Sono was on last night and he help me set it up..
So then I dropped it to 272 and ran real smooth and then a little more to 270 and it was the same so I left it at 270.
Almost everything runs smooth at 266 but sone need a little push so I just left it at 270.

I've got the smae batteries, they're probably the best rechargables for that price.

You can't beat $21 for 8 freaking rechargables!

NeoGeo2k2

Noooooooo peeking ;-),
VanillaThunder said:
I've got the smae batteries, they're probably the best rechargables for that price.

You can't beat $21 for 8 freaking rechargables!

Yup..same price but only 6 batts, but still great price.

ray_7

Where do you get those for that price?

In a Walgreens near me it's $10 for 2 batteries...

ray_7

DanAdamKOF said:
I just bought one (a MK1), woot! Should be here pretty soon.

Great! Don't forget to get the MK2 joystick too, it improves the control alot.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
I just bought one (a MK1), woot! Should be here pretty soon.
For a moment, I forgot what thread I was reading. And found myself wondering why on earth you'd want a Mortal Kombat PCB.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Okay, so my MK1 is here. It came with a special joystick cover:
gp2xjoy.jpg

And a custom OS skin with the GameBoy "da-ding!" for the bootup noise (at least I think that's custom), and a Halo 2 theme (excuse the blurriness):
gp2xskin.jpg

How would I restore my GP2X's OS to default?

I haven't had any time to mess with playing games on it by the way (except for Vektar, which seems really cool), or installing programs.

Also I think I'm getting that problem with seeing some diagonal interferance lines run through the system. There's a program for that, right? Does it really work?

ray_7

Head over to gp32x.com, you can find the original skin there, and also some bootup sounds.

Regarding the diagonal lines, I think there's a program called CPU/LCD Tweaker to cure that, but I couldn't care less about that anyway. ;)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
OH WOW. GNGeo2X is really cool. FFS on the go. Need I say anything more?

Can I make it so that I don't have to navigate to the GNGeo folder each time I want to run the NeoRage frontend?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Okay, so I'm trying to play KOF 98, but I'm having a problem with it. This is the first large game I've tried BTW. I used dumpgfx in XP and it made kof98.gfx. I then replaced the C ROMs with dummy files. Then I put both kof98.gfx and kof98.zip in the same directory with the other ROMs. When I go to load the game in GNGeo, I see the progress bars like normal, BUT I then get a prompt to either dump the graphics or exit. Umm what went wrong?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Okay, so I placed the gfx file (66MB or so) into GNGeo's roms folder, and after kof98 loads, I get a blue screen at 60fps that never goes away. GNGeo hasn't crashed though since I can exit it and adjust the volume.

So umm wtf?

edit: I'm using the unibios btw

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ray I don't have any Neo emulators for my PC. I haven't tried MS3 either. I'm probably going to copy some CDs my friend has from an older MAME set with all the Neo ROMs up to MOTW and KOF 99, so I'll try KOF98 again after I copy them.

I'm reading through the visual novel "Narcissu" on my GP2X now. It's quite sad and touching, and overall engrossing. I ended up playing it until my GP2X ran out of batteries; I have some shitty no-name Chinese 1200MAH batteries, so I played for about 1 1/2 hours. The GP2X does some crazy stuff when it runs out of power.

Soon I'm going to get one of those Energizer battery and charger bundles. Should I get the bundle with the 30 minute charger or the normal charger?

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Ecuse my ignorance Ive been away from games a long time. I dont know what a DS lite or PSP is or a Wii for that matter,

But this thread got me intrigued.
What is this GP2X???

Is it some relation of the GP32? Now i owned one of those a couple of years back ....so disapointing. Impossible to download games etc.,

But this GP2X please could someone post a picture and tell me how easy it is to use emulators and neo roms on it
Thanks a lot
rugal2000

ray_7

Is it indeed the successor to GP2X.

Google GP2X and you can see the pictures...

Go to gp32x.com for infos regarding emulation and such. Definitely easy to do, just copy the required files into the SD card and fire away. :)

ray_7

What are you guys using for case?

I'm still searching for a PSP-type case (slip on)...:(

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ray, I use a Nintendo DS carry bag. I don't know the exact type since it came with my GP2X (I can take a picture later if you want). It fits it almost exactly, and the inside is padded a bit with some very soft cloth, so the screen won't get scratched. It has a small compartment on the outside that's supposed to hold some DS games and a bit more (you could fit some earbud headphones in there).

I bought the normal "sliding" Energizer charger that came with 4 2500mah batteries for $17 today. The 15 minute charger was about $30 (screw that). They're charging as I speak.

ray_7

Yea a picture would be great.

After seeing pictures of the official case for the 2x, it looks like the mesh part can scratch the screen and I don't want that to happen.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
ray_7 said:
Yea a picture would be great.

After seeing pictures of the official case for the 2x, it looks like the mesh part can scratch the screen and I don't want that to happen.
Give me about 5 minutes to resize and upload the pics

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
OK this should be enough to where you can tell what the case looks like. Hell, put them on your 2X and go shopping, so you can have them for reference.

img_0144.jpg
Well, at least people can't call it a PSP now.

img_0145.jpg
Beltloop and detachable wriststrap

img_0147.jpg
Velcro closure (sort of noisy I might add)

img_0148.jpg
That's some clear plastic cartridge holders sewn into the case up top, and below is some mesh area that would be good for holding earphones. That part zips up into the part that holds the DS/2X.

img_0149.jpg
A snug fit.