The Noob Thread (All Noobs Welcome!)

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Bobak said:
For the record, I only get annoyed when newbies don't bother to see "Glossary" on the left-menu bar. Maybe people don't know what "glossary" means, but it would clear up many of the more irritating questions.

Understandable...peeps should always explore the site, esp the NG site, for info. Odds are they'll end up finding the answers w/o asking a Noob question and save themselves some noob embarrassment. :cool:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
For the record, I only get annoyed when newbies don't bother to see "Glossary" on the left-menu bar. Maybe people don't know what "glossary" means, but it would clear up many of the more irritating questions.

I'd also like to add that I have written a FAQ for Newbies. It's in N-G.com's FAQ section. It's a little outdated now, but it's still valid.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I just wanted to let you all know that I love teh n00bs too.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I love teh noobz, since they often bring in teh dr4m4.

:multi_co: :multi_co: :multi_co: :multi_co:

Mattitude

Mega Shock!!
What is it that brings you new collectors to these forums?

I always liked the Neo since first seeing it back in 1991 and this is the largest collection of other owners/gamers/info/news/store dedicated to all things Neo.

When did you buy your Neo?

I got my first AES Gold System back in 1991 when I was in SC then sold it in 1994 when I moved to Germany. Bought a CDZ after playing Metal Slug in the arcade in Germany. Sold it to a used game shop in Japan a few years later. Picked up a top loading CD system in Japan when Metal Slug came out. Sold it last summer along with most of my console collection. Picked up a 1-slot MVS at an auction in a Dynamo cab. I upgraded to a 2-slot MVS board last month and am waiting for a good 4-slot board to ugraded that to.

Any problems or dissapointments?

My gold system had a problem with the power when I got it (the game would reset at random), but it simply took a call to SNK-USA and they fixed it free of charge. Game-wise, SvC:Chaos was disappointing to me. I wish that the game ran smoother and the animations should be more fluid.

What is your current favourite Neo game and your most anticipated purchase?

I love the Metal Slug series, KOF '98, Garou MotW.

I am a noob to the forums, but in no way a noob to gaming. These forums can be a bit harsh and "rough" around the edges, but there is just waaaay too much info out here to let some drama get to ya. After a while you will know who to ask for advice/info and who to just read their ramblings.

Galfordo, have you been to the tourneys at Mindboggle in Fayettenam? I stopped by one late last year (I believe that is when it was) and the last one scheduled was I think canceled. NC does have a few Neo fans.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
registered what seems like fucking ages ago, never owned an AES. bought SS 1 - 4 MVS off ebay long before i bought a cab. bought a candy cab from the bros in la, complete with japanese 4 slot around 99 - 00. kept it for 2 years or so, built up a collection of 40 or so mvs carts. sold everything end of 2002 or somewhere around there. sold the cab plus a couple games to a member from these boards, sold many carts in the selling forum the rest on ebay.

absolutely no regrets. the cab ran like a fucking dream from day 1. to tell you the truth i wouldnt have the neo any other way outside a cab but lately ive been contemplating making a consolized mvs.

favorite cart was and will always be samurai shodown 2. followed by shodown 3. followed by kof 98. followed by shodown 1. followed by the rest.

BAST

n00b
I bought my Neo CD 3 years ago, shortly followed by the pocket color. I sold the Neo CD a few months back so I could afford a mini fridge for the bedroom ( an odd decision you may think, but as I sit here typing with a fridge full of cold beers I dont regret it for a minute ). The best neo game I've owned is MS2 on my Neo CD. I think the only negative points about this hobby from my perspective is my own ignorance, I'd love to go AES but even with the list of bad sellers I've seen on here I know I'd still get fleaced. In the near future I hope to complete my collection of UK pocket games ( I think there's 39, please correct me if I'm wrong ) and I'm definitly going down the MVS route. I'd love a cab, dedicated preferably. I've owned several fruit machines and pinball tables in the past and made a fortune out of my drunken buddies and I don't feel even a little bit guitly ( they must have paid for nearly half of my motorbike ! )

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Yeah man, MVS is cheaper AND more authentic.

And my cab is the crown of my apartment. Looks-wise I mean.

Fredrik X

n00b
Hello fellow noobs!

I found these excellent forums through an article in Edge/Retro, around 6 months ago. That was about the same time I was beginning to loose faith in the current generation of videogames.

So a modded Neo was bought from Neostore in December last year. Had not played on an AES for 10 years.. (Had one back then, but when you are 13, you don´t tend to make a lot of money)

Havent had any problems with the Neo, nor the community. (Well, can´t say I´ve posted a lot but..) Anyway, it´s just text, and ignoring all the idiots in this world is something you learn pretty fast nowadays, eh?
Also, all reports of scammers are a bit worrying.

The favourite game this far has to be Samurai Shodown 2, the design is just beautiful.
Really looking forward to one of the Last Blades, think it´s gonna be the next buy. Just love those samurai!
And as soon I can afford one, a Slug will grace my shelf...

The only problem right now is that a Saturn somehow ended up in front of the TV and is also screaming for some new games! What to do, what to do?

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Covanent Elite said:
For an [Internet forum specializing in] such an expensive console, it sure does have a lot of bitter people. :oh_no:

Come on people now,
Smile on your brother,
Everybody get together,
Try to love one another,
Right now.

- Excerpt From "Get Together," By The Youngbloods

Wow, this thread just keeps getting bigger and bigger; us noobs are comin' outta the woodwork, here! Can you feel the love? I mean, really feel it? Heh, just kidding. :glee:

Welcome, BAST, Covanent Elite, dolphinATX, Fredrik X, Mattitude, and Sundance; your comments are a welcomed breath of fresh air. Additionally, big props to Bobak, bones, broken, DanAdamKOF, FeelGood, galfordo, madmanjock, Streets of Rage, and xtoo_short20x for retracting their claws when dealing with teh noobs. I tell ya, if it gets any friendlier in here, it'll be some sort of freakin' hippie love fest. ;)

Oh, and awesome X-Fighting Stick, Pepperachou. That thing'll be a dream to play. :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

SpaceBoy

n00b

Been thinking hard about creating or making a mame machine, however I always wanted something more authentic. I also dont' want to have to ever touch a keyboard/mouse to switch games etc(I know you can get frontends that take away most of this) so I decided against it. Then thought about getting dedicated versions of a few games, then only within the last month, been looking in neo geo. Just happened to see this site somewhere else.

When did you buy your Neo?

Haven't yet. I'm in the market to buy one. Not sure if I want to try to track down a mvs cab, or just get one of those candy cabs, and put a mvs board in it etc. Prob do the second one, since it will be slightly smaller, and trust it will be in better shape, have a longer life and stuff. Now deciding do I do it now, or wait until I can get everything I want(not everything I want, but am able to load up on games and stuff) A upcoming engagement will be cutting into my spending money :)

Any problems or dissapointments?

Not really. Only problem, is that there seem to be so many games I would like. That and that I'm still not familiar with the different setups. Take a neo candy 29 or something. I don't understand if I need to get a board seperate, then do some kind of rigging up to have the would to work, or not. I"m sure I'll figure it out, or it will come up sometime..

Favorite that I can remember playing at the arcade are the metal slug games. I look most to simply having a cabinet with 1-2 nice fighters in it, baseball allstars 2, and either a golf or bowling game.

Glad I found the site, and I hit lots of message boards so I'm use to the noob abuse, I look at as hazing. :)

shir0

Later, Gumm0
I love the n00bs too. :make_fac:

I figured I might as well say hi first before waking up on the
wrong side of the bed and flaming one of you. :P

Ah, I feel better now.

On to the questions:

I've been here for close to two years now...and I still don't know.

I've been into gaming for about 18 of my 21 years, ever since I
was able to hold a controller...I've been into the neo since about
93 - so after a long and crazy import saturn collecting binge, I came
here to start on my neo collection. That and Shawn lives near me...
which made it all the more cool and easy to get games.

Er...probably Samurai Spirits 4 or 5 - followed by MOTW. Anticipated Purchase?
Next month when I get KOF 2003...and if it sucks, it'll prove my theory that KOF
was never good in the first place. :mr_t:

I've probably got 400-500 games in my room and on my shelves of doom, and
about 10 systems - along with a cab that I've been fixing up, but as always -
it just keeps growing every day.

Gaming has always been a passion, and a love unrivaled.

That's about it.

Later

shir0