The New Fitness thread

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
nice busy schedule smoke!

for your suppliments- i cant speak highly enough of adding a little glutamine to the mix for your joints. since i've been on it regularly my knee flare ups are few and far between. a little jar of it goes a long way.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Ran about 9 miles today with a 20 min break half way through (pit stop at the next town over before heading back home). Times each way were 42’20" and 39’48” beating my record by about 8min each way!

My form is very low impact, quick steps, feet don’t lift far off the ground.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I haven't played Wii Fit U for a couple of days because of work. I mean to get on it soon though. With all the walking I do running errands (including walking around the house), working out on Wii Fit U - I burn about 1600 calories.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ran about 9 miles today with a 20 min break half way through (pit stop at the next town over before heading back home). Times each way were 42’20" and 39’48” beating my record by about 8min each way!

My form is very low impact, quick steps, feet don’t lift far off the ground.

jesus christ dude you're prolly in better shape than chrisr now

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Although I have a bit of a gut?nd some small man boobs, I wasn't in bad shape to begin with. I was still riding 50-65 miles rides this summer and could do a med paced 30 mile ride with ease (50-65 would take it out of me pretty well?

I think I already had the cardio heath base to work off of, I just didn't have the muscle form down yet fro swimming and running (and still don't, to be honest).

My current week looks like this:

Mon- OFF

Tue- Run night, currently a 1-1.5 mile run with an additional .5 cool down. I'll do some light lifting after the run.

Wed- OFF

Thurs- Swim night, possibly going to ramp it up to 300-400 yards depending on how things go. (Last week was 250 yds.)

Firday- OFF

Sat- brick day set #1, 2 mile run + warmup/cool down, 200 yd swim.

Sun- brick day set #2, 300 (or so) yd in the pool, 15-20 mile outdoor ride (as long as mother nature allows it).

That's for now and probably through the end of the year?e'll see. By end of year, I'd really like to be up to a 5K run and 400yd swim. If I can do a 450yd swim, this will actually be longer than the tri I am training for.

Now?fter Jan 1, I'm going to beef it up:

Mon- OFF

Tue- Run night, 2-3 mile run with an additional .5 cool down. Light lifting after the run.

Wed- Indoor cycling trainer, 50min-1hr

Thurs- Swim night, 300-400 yards.

Firday- OFF

Sat- brick day set #1, 2-3 mile run -w- warmup/cool down, 300-400 yards swim.

Sun- brick day #2, 300-400 yards swim in the pool, Indoor cycling trainer-50min-1hr

Soreness?

I have these three things:

https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SG-1900

http://www.theracane.com

http://www.amazon.com/SPRI-Super-High-Density-Rollers/dp/B00BI748PM

Of those three?the stick" is the absolute best. I roll my legs out before and after a session?akes a big difference.

This next part could be a placebo?ho knows?ut on top of my regular foods, I take these two:

http://www.amazon.com/BSN-SYNTHA-6-...1443302057&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=syntha+six

http://www.amazon.com/BSN-Amino-End...e=UTF8&qid=1443302084&sr=1-4&keywords=amino+x

?nd, thanks to the Hulkster? also say my prayers and eat my vitamins?

The swim is going to take the longest? now know that. The breathing aspect of freestyle swimming is a serious pain in the ass. I keep messing it up and it will make you flustered fast.

Quoted for the future. I like your plan and, should I choose to make that transition into fitness, I'll definitely use it as a focal point.

I love the stick, I use foam rolls a lot and they work wonders after my distance runs, especially on the deep spots in my quads and hamstrings.

Ran about 9 miles today with a 20 min break half way through (pit stop at the next town over before heading back home). Times each way were 42?0" and 39?8 beating my record by about 8min each way!

My form is very low impact, quick steps, feet don稚 lift far off the ground.

Those splits are pretty good chem, do you run distance a lot or was this one of those "let's see how far we get" moods?

I plan on doing 14 miles tomorrow, hopefully within the same pacing as you and just gutting it out. Marathon is in a month, so its go time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
God…mother nature had her say and apparently, she is pissed.

I always get sick this time of year (major allergy issues) and I've been dodging the bullet for weeks now. Well, finally got hit by it. Last night sinuses began burning…overnight my freaking face was on fire. This morning, I feel like someone parked a truck on my head. Thankfully it's Sunday and I do not have to work. Training is off for now I guess…

Oh well…I have plenty of time...

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Smokehouse: Ouch, allergies suck. I usually get knocked out beginning of august from the goldenrod/ragweed, but I think it’s delayed this year because we’ve had a drought. Some people swear by those nasal sprays and eating raw chillies and whatnot. I’m also hearing that coffee is bad for the joints, so I may attempt to switch to black or green tea.

ggallegos1: I try to do two 5mile or 10K runs a week, and a couple longer runs on the weekend. On a bad week, maybe 10-15 miles total, on a good week, 30-40miles total. Good luck on your half marathon today! I will need to invest in a water bottle before trying to pull off that distance.

I still have a small gut, I have to control myself and eat smaller portions of shit like rice and pasta. Besides that crap starch, I mostly eat fruits and veggies, some beans, and eggs. I’m low on protein overall, and I think my metabolism is straight shot from the years and years of only eating 1 big meal at night. Last year I was doing 300pushups/day, but I got a nasty virus which completely set me back. I’m slowly getting back into it though, sets of 30 X4/day.

I also quit smoking cigarettes 16 months ago, so there’s that.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I try to do hola hoops. I got a little beer gut I'd like to get rid of.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
God…mother nature had her say and apparently, she is pissed.

I always get sick this time of year (major allergy issues) and I've been dodging the bullet for weeks now. Well, finally got hit by it. Last night sinuses began burning…overnight my freaking face was on fire. This morning, I feel like someone parked a truck on my head. Thankfully it's Sunday and I do not have to work. Training is off for now I guess…

Oh well…I have plenty of time...

i got hit bad last week. just getting over it. didn't ride for a week. today was my first day back on 2 wheels and I could barely muster 6 miles before the stuffiness did me in and i had to turn back.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
i got hit bad last week. just getting over it. didn't ride for a week. today was my first day back on 2 wheels and I could barely muster 6 miles before the stuffiness did me in and i had to turn back.

Yeah…it will do that to you. I've been running a fever all day…now it's moved into my throat, feels like I swallowed hot coals.

One really sucky thing about cycling is the "winter loss"…there's just no way to get around it. This is one of the main reasons why I'm beginning to swim/run as well, I'm sick of losing so much over the winter.

I've found that I just cannot allow myself to get gassed when it really cold outside. Anything at 45 or below (I've ridden down to the freezing mark) and it's just down right miserable. If I start to suck wind it will make my chest hurt for the rest of the day, even hours after I'm done with the ride. Then there's the clothing issue; too many layers and you become a boil in bag, too few and you're an ice cube. Even if you get the "just right" amount of covering…you'll still be cold as with once you get moving.

So I took to the trainer. My first real trainer session year I did a ton of time on the saddle…and it worked my ass out. But, and this was the major point, even after all of those hours on the trainer, come spring I was still lightyears be hid where I was the fall before. I'd have to take my rides back down in the 30 mile range and spent a month (or two) building them back up…it sucks.

Last winter I broke…I just couldn't face another winter of sitting in my basement, hour after hour. So I didn't. Long story short, I plopped on weight and come this spring…I was so rusty it was insane. 15 mile rides would wreck me. It took months to get back up to 50 mile+ sessions.

Either way…the running and swimming should distract me enough this winter to be able to tolerate the more infrequent trainer sessions.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yeah…it will do that to you. I've been running a fever all day…now it's moved into my throat, feels like I swallowed hot coals.

One really sucky thing about cycling is the "winter loss"…there's just no way to get around it. This is one of the main reasons why I'm beginning to swim/run as well, I'm sick of losing so much over the winter.

I've found that I just cannot allow myself to get gassed when it really cold outside. Anything at 45 or below (I've ridden down to the freezing mark) and it's just down right miserable. If I start to suck wind it will make my chest hurt for the rest of the day, even hours after I'm done with the ride. Then there's the clothing issue; too many layers and you become a boil in bag, too few and you're an ice cube. Even if you get the "just right" amount of covering…you'll still be cold as with once you get moving.

So I took to the trainer. My first real trainer session year I did a ton of time on the saddle…and it worked my ass out. But, and this was the major point, even after all of those hours on the trainer, come spring I was still lightyears be hid where I was the fall before. I'd have to take my rides back down in the 30 mile range and spent a month (or two) building them back up…it sucks.

Last winter I broke…I just couldn't face another winter of sitting in my basement, hour after hour. So I didn't. Long story short, I plopped on weight and come this spring…I was so rusty it was insane. 15 mile rides would wreck me. It took months to get back up to 50 mile+ sessions.

Either way…the running and swimming should distract me enough this winter to be able to tolerate the more infrequent trainer sessions.

for serious. i ended up with a second bike at a garage sale last week. one of those fat tire suckers for tromping through mud/ snow/ and ice. for $30 i was in. it's a POS, but what the hell- i have a winter ride now.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm trying to kill my gratuitous carb and sugar cravings by going 1-2 weeks without many. It's been 4 days so far and working out well. Late night snacking is diminished due to being tired of eating apples, salad, rotisserie chicken, eggs, etc. It's nice to go through a particular day and feel good about not putting very much 'crap' into it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I thought I'd share this story...this man was the person who inspired me to be better, be more. his name is Tony and he and I grew up in the same small town of 2500 people.

Here's a short of his story, it's worth watching:

back when I was at my heaviest (around 2010-11), I saw him cross the line at a 5K at a local town festival. (I was standing in line for a pancake breakfast BTW...LOL). He was huge, his swollen legs were purple at the base from the run. I remember watching him cross the finish line and thinking "God...if he can do that, what is my excuse). By 2011 I began my own journey, most here know that story.

He indeed did finish IM Wisconsin in 16:20:xx...such an amazing feat figuring how heavy he still is (he's 5' 10" at still in the 270's). He's the reason why I bagan back in 2011...and now is the reason why I am beginning my own triathlon training...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
This thread needs more weightlifting talk. If you guys wanna lose weight, pick up the weights.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This thread needs more weightlifting talk. If you guys wanna lose weight, pick up the weights.

"Yeah" and "or"

"Yeah at first"...when I was at my heaviest, my Dr. Told me to do 20 min of cardio, 3-4x a week. I told her she was mad, I couldn't do 10 min of cardio, let alone 20. I decided to go the lifting route instead. I dropped from whatever I was (275+) to 220 by weightlifting/floor exercises alone (*with a controlled diet). Not a lick of cardio and no, I didn't starve myself either.

But.

That only got me so far, I got stuck at the 220 mark. It took me getting into endurance cardio in 2012 to drop from the 220 to the 160'ish mark.

That's why I used the "or". I'd tell any person looking to do lifestyle changing weight loss to start with weights only...then make a decision after they've dropped some lbs. I fully believe you can go either route once you're at a point. You can go your route (muscle/body building) -or- my route (endurance athletics). one isn't really a good choice for the other. Big muscles = more weight. More weight = more mass t move for hours at a time. If something like a marathon, tri, or even an extreme event like an Ironman is a goal, I wouldn't recommend a large amount of muscle mass.

If you want to get into bodybuilding...yeah, endurance athletic isn't for you as many endurance athletes look like skeletons...

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
"Yeah" and "or"

"Yeah at first"...when I was at my heaviest, my Dr. Told me to do 20 min of cardio, 3-4x a week. I told her she was mad, I couldn't do 10 min of cardio, let alone 20. I decided to go the lifting route instead. I dropped from whatever I was (275+) to 220 by weightlifting/floor exercises alone (*with a controlled diet). Not a lick of cardio and no, I didn't starve myself either.

But.

That only got me so far, I got stuck at the 220 mark. It took me getting into endurance cardio in 2012 to drop from the 220 to the 160'ish mark.

That's why I used the "or". I'd tell any person looking to do lifestyle changing weight loss to start with weights only...then make a decision after they've dropped some lbs. I fully believe you can go either route once you're at a point. You can go your route (muscle/body building) -or- my route (endurance athletics). one isn't really a good choice for the other. Big muscles = more weight. More weight = more mass t move for hours at a time. If something like a marathon, tri, or even an extreme event like an Ironman is a goal, I wouldn't recommend a large amount of muscle mass.

If you want to get into bodybuilding...yeah, endurance athletic isn't for you as many endurance athletes look like skeletons...

Wow...that is impressive.

I'm about 160lbs and a 29-30" waist and pathetically I do NO cardio...I've been lifting on average 4 days a week for 1hr for the last 15yrs...I think just the regularity has made me fairly resistant to gaining weight...even when my diet goes to crap here and there...

Mighty impressive feats of cardio you guys are doing...I actually started feeling guilty this last summer and bought a $10 mountain bike at a garage sale and started going on some 10 mile rides on the weekends...I actually have a great time riding a bike...I HATE RUNNING, but this biking thing I think I'm gonna stick with...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

I think we have a separate weight loss thread somewhere. If losing weight is all you want to do just eat less, it's that simple, being thin is all in the mind. Loads of people are thin without having to think about it. Being fit though is a very different animal.

I have a lot of respect for people who can run for miles on end, I always hated it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow...that is impressive.

I'm about 160lbs and a 29-30" waist and pathetically I do NO cardio...I've been lifting on average 4 days a week for 1hr for the last 15yrs...I think just the regularity has made me fairly resistant to gaining weight...even when my diet goes to crap here and there...

Mighty impressive feats of cardio you guys are doing...I actually started feeling guilty this last summer and bought a $10 mountain bike at a garage sale and started going on some 10 mile rides on the weekends...I actually have a great time riding a bike...I HATE RUNNING, but this biking thing I think I'm gonna stick with...

Let me say this...in this country of lazy ass, fat people I will NEVER hammer anyone that is active. But...I will offer up opinions.

When I was at my 220 mark, I really thought hard about my choices...get big, or get small.

To me, the driving force was sustainability and heart health.

*disclaimer*...the following is observations of people in my real life, this may or may not be a snapshot of the entire community, I will not say that it is.

If the bodybuilders I personally know...none of them give a shit about heart/overall health. They care about physique and little else. They run enough to get their HR up so they can lift (if they're not using something like NO-Xplode). For bodybuilders, it often ends poorly. Either they burn out/break and land up fat...or they die of cardiac arrest (that's for the juicers). My father was a very accomplished lifter in his time...a vast majority of the guys he trained with are now dead.

This is why I got into endurance athletics...and have decided to keep it reasonable. Even this push for a triathlon will end at an Olympic level event, NOT an Ironman level event. I have no want to push myself to do an Ironman.

Lastly...don't give up on running too soon. I despise running, I suck at it, my feet are fucked up...but...

Running shoe technology has come light years from what it was 10-20 years ago. I am amazed at how good my run feels now that I have proper shoes. It also works completely different muscle groups from cycling, this became 100% clear to me once I tried running. I could do a 4 hr session on a bike and could do a 1 mile run without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack.

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Let me say this...in this country of lazy ass, fat people I will NEVER hammer anyone that is active. But...I will offer up opinions.

When I was at my 220 mark, I really thought hard about my choices...get big, or get small.

To me, the driving force was sustainability and heart health.

*disclaimer*...the following is observations of people in my real life, this may or may not be a snapshot of the entire community, I will not say that it is.

If the bodybuilders I personally know...none of them give a shit about heart/overall health. They care about physique and little else. They run enough to get their HR up so they can lift (if they're not using something like NO-Xplode). For bodybuilders, it often ends poorly. Either they burn out/break and land up fat...or they die of cardiac arrest (that's for the juicers). My father was a very accomplished lifter in his time...a vast majority of the guys he trained with are now dead.

This is why I got into endurance athletics...and have decided to keep it reasonable. Even this push for a triathlon will end at an Olympic level event, NOT an Ironman level event. I have no want to push myself to do an Ironman.

Lastly...don't give up on running too soon. I despise running, I suck at it, my feet are fucked up...but...

Running shoe technology has come light years from what it was 10-20 years ago. I am amazed at how good my run feels now that I have proper shoes. It also works completely different muscle groups from cycling, this became 100% clear to me once I tried running. I could do a 4 hr session on a bike and could do a 1 mile run without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack.

I would have to agree with those observations...

I always worked in gyms, 15yrs in a community center, so I see mostly the retired crowd there...which, seeing how HORRIBLE people can look and preform when they hit 65 is enough to make anybody get of the couch to do some preventive movement...

And then another 5yrs at a LifeTime Fitness...which yes, had the opposite end of the spectrum, lots of really healthy in shape people, but also some massive hulk types too...I would fairly regularly find small vials and needles laying about the club. And truly, a fair amount of these massive guys literally looked red in the face most of the time and really didn't seem to...idk, hard to put my finger on it...they just looked "uncomfortable".

I'm for sure taking a more careful and preventative approach to things now...I'm not lifting super heavy, seen too many people wreck their backs and shoulders and knees doing that stuff. Bike riding and surprisingly yoga have caught my interest lately...a bit more cardio and some loosening up will be a good thing...seriously...the condition of these old people I see daily at the gym terrify me.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I guess what I'm saying is that anything can end poorly if you're extreme or dumb about it. When I decided on what I did, I figured that a failed bicep or quad will not kill me...a failed heart will. Because of thos I do cardio intense things rather than muscle building. In a perfect world, I'd do both...but I just have the time.

I will say this...when this tri thing is done, I am done with running (for the most part). It is not enjoyable to me. The swimming and cycling I actually enjoy...a good amount. Running? Not so much. All I ever think is "shit...I could have covered three times this distance in the same mount of time". A full marathon is 26 miles and that's an accomplishment many can't do. 26+ miles for me is a nice sat morning...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Bit the bullet and bought this Garmin here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-910xt/prod90671.html

Picked it up new from Amazon for $236:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-910XT-GPS-Enabled-Sport/dp/B005SPCJ74

Kind of dumb lucked into getting this unit at the right time. I was $400 (for the base bundle) up until just recently. Garmin released the new 920 unit, which is currently $450.

This guy is a really nice unit and is designed for tri training...it will log the swim, ride and the run...which is all awesome.

As an added bonus, I can tie it to all of my ANT+ stuff, like my HR monitor as well as my speed/cadence meter already on my bike.

What really is awesome is that it comes with this in the box:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EAY1O2K?psc=1

I was really wanting to get one of these...but at $60, I was putting it of.

This enables your home PC to read real time data from your Garmin stuff...AKA indoor cycling trainer. I may try Trainer Road this winter...we'll see...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Thought I'd bump this fella...it's been a few weeks.

How is everyone coming along?

Me? I got too cockstrong last week and landed up hurting myself (typical). Ran a 5K on tue, an hr on the bike wed and swam 500yds on thurs. Thurs night my L leg was hurting pretty bad and it got worse from there. Turns out I strained my soleus pretty good...I sat out fri/sat, swam 400 on sun and will only swim tonight. May take up running again on sat, not sure yet.

Either way...I need to slow it down...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
That's rough man, take it easy and walk it in again.

I have my marathon in less than 2 weeks, so I'm slowing down the runs for a bit until then to not risk injuring myself. I'm determined to get under 4 hours with this one.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That's rough man, take it easy and walk it in again.

I have my marathon in less than 2 weeks, so I'm slowing down the runs for a bit until then to not risk injuring myself. I'm determined to get under 4 hours with this one.

A full 26? Man, that is scorching fast...good luck on the run!