The Neo Geo Shooting Special

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm givin' it a download. Says it'll be about an hour and 25 minutes, so I'll be able to give it a look around lunch time.

Cool idea, thanks for the link!

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm on a shitty modem here but a friend will DL it for me later this week. Very much looking forward to your thoughts on Blazing Star & PI2 (the others too of course :) ) .

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I wish I didn't have a 44k connection. :crying:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So did anyone check this out? Is it worth my 1.5hrs to download?

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
NeoCverA said:
So did anyone check this out? Is it worth my 1.5hrs to download?

Yes, yes, yes.

Fantastic video and great commentary, Kiken.

It's terrific to see serious fan efforts like this to keep Neo shooters alive and relevant.

DL this now, folks.

One small constructive criticism: next time maybe make the commentary volume higher in the mix? The spread between game volume and voice volume seemed a bit large.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I just went through the video. You did a great job Kiken! I must admit that I felt a bit shitty after hearing some of the Neo-CD AST's for games I have on MVS and AES but oh well.......:(

I was surprised to see Ninja Commando in the mix but after some thought, I totally understand it's place in the genre.

Last Resort, Viewpoint, Pulstar and Blazing Star all got good love from you which means your A OK in my book!

I liked the cycling through levels during the review - you should have done more of that. Some games you tended to stick to a stage for a bit longer than others.

Sound levels need a bit tweaking specifically your commentary as mentioned above.

Let us know when you've done another one of these!

Arcader

New Challenger
Very good video review and some good (funny) voice acting on Ninja Commando heh.

I do however disagree with your statement about Blazing Star being the best Neo shooter out, IMO I think Pulstar is better but only just.

A2ath0th

n00b
it's a really great video, every neogeo shooter fan MUST have it ;)
I have learned some things on those games, and with the cool commentaries it's really funny to see the video

the only matter is that the sound of the game is a little too high compared to the sound of the commentaries, but it's not a BIG problem

you did a really good job Kiken :D

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I've never been the type of person to say something is good just because someone worked hard on it.

I understand the line of thinking - that if it's obvious someone put a lot of effort into something then some people feel the need to automatically praise it.

Effort does not always equate to quality.

That said, I think it was very well done and minor audio problems aside, I think you did an admirable job and it was well worth the download.

In fact, it's managed to get my interest piqued in Viewpoint as well as some others (I never had any interest in Ninja Commando before watching).

So you definitely got your message accross and managed to enlighten me on some of the Neo's other shooters (I hated Tomaday, I'm sorta unwilling to pay up for TSS and Blazing Star has kept me more than happy). And what's more, some more reasonably priced games.

Well done.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Someone slap this on a disc for me?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Kiken said:
Finally, after about 2 months of planning and editing, this project is complete and available for download.

The show is 80 minutes long (490 Megs) and reviews the 16 shmups on the Neo (I spend about 4 minutes with each game):

http://www.archive.org/details/NeoGeoShootingSpecial

Please enjoy this video.
Not a bad idea for a video at all 'just to give a run down on. The history of shooters on the Neo-Geo.

I would try it but i'm on plain old dail-up i'm afraid :(

One of these days i must switch to "dsl or cable" i keep missing, out on all these great videos that people make here :help:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Amazing vid Kiken. Keep up the great work.

Asura

Hardened Shock Trooper
How or where can I download this movie in the site? I can't find the link... :help:

Kiken

Camel Slug
Asura said:
How or where can I download this movie in the site? I can't find the link... :help:

I admit, their page layout is a bit confusing. The link is on the left below "Download" (for some odd reason, it's labeled as Cinepak).

There's a thread on Shmups forums with mirrors listed if you're having trouble pulling it down from Archive.org:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2992

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
cool...maybe this will help me pick out a shooter for my mvs...I want one, but dont want to have to re-sell it because its crappy

twodeepuzzler

Geese's Thug
Just finished watching. Excellent work! I've played a handful of neo shooters, and now I want more! When will there be a Neo Geo Fighters video?

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Yes, this video is the shit; everyone should dl it if they have the capability.

The best thing about it is it makes me want to play my neo. The worst thing about it is it makes me want to buy new games.

Hope you do another vid, Kiken, but thanks for this one.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I'm having trouble running this. I'm using a mac, what viewer do I need. It keeps opening with quick time, but it won't play.

I really want to see this, I need to get some new shooters!
Thanks.

Kiken

Camel Slug
RBjakeSpecial said:
I'm having trouble running this. I'm using a mac, what viewer do I need. It keeps opening with quick time, but it won't play.

Thanks.

You may want to try using MPlayer to run the video.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
RBjakeSpecial said:

Thanks.

I'm using a Mac too - I recommend looking for VLC player - it'll play practically anything.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
GMW- Thanks man! the video player is great.

Kiken- That video was incredible. I just finished watching it. In the intro when you said that it would be 75 minutes I was dreading it, but it was a pleasure to watch.

I really like the humor too, it took me by suprise, cause the rest of the video is delivered very seriously.

I'm definately going to check out Last Resort, Viewpoint, Pulstar and Blazing Star because of this video.

And yes the song for the credits is amazing!

Really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to future projects!