The Mother Fucking Book Thread (No Comics Allowed)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I didn't skip any of the books. Read Dune, then Messiah, Children, God Emperor, and I started Heretics.

I just wasn't interested in the series anymore.

Ah, gotcha. Did they get worse or you just weren't into it?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just lost interest. Stopped keeping me engaged.

I'm reading Cat's Cradle right now.

I'm looking for suggestions on more dystopian fiction.

fake

15 Year Member
Hmmm, Radio Free Albemuth by Phil Dick.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Been reading Bedford Introduction to Literature (by Michael Meyer). Mainly for the poems.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I've been going back to my teen angst philosophers, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Spengler and Evola, jolly cultural pessimism times. Fuck the world!

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I just finished Slaughter House Five by Vonnegut. Going to read Cat's Cradle next. Not sure what after that.

I was reading Heretics of Dune but I gave up on the series. It wasn't doing anything for me.

Slaughter House Five and Cat's Cradle are on my Amazon wishlist, I also found an old copy of "Timequake" (Vonnegut) at the used book store down the street.

For dystopian fiction, maybe Philip K Dick's "A Scanner Darkly" or "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"? There is a book I heard about but haven't bought yet that seemed really cool, "Rx: A Tale of Electronegativity" by Robert Brockway.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
lsdmyproblemchild_front.jpg

Good read.

fake

15 Year Member
I started Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. I didn't think I'd like it but it's pretty awesome. It's about how the different Disneylands around the world become basically counties and how the different parks within Disneyland compete for power. It's a cyberpunk book and has some Neuromancer and Snow Crash references.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Picked up some books I have never read:

Catch-22
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Great Gatsby

I'm reading Catch-22 right now. Really enjoying it so far. Not sure where this book will go.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Man, I'm pretty far in to Catch-22. Somewhere past page 300.

I've really enjoyed reading this.

It's been a hilarious, depressing, outrageous, (in)sane ride and frankly I'm not sure how it will end or where it's even going.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Just started this, really interesting stuff:
9780141189420.jpg

Andy Warhol said:
Apparently, most people love watching the same basic thing, as long as the details are different. But I'm just the opposite: If I'm going to sit and watch the same thing I saw the night before, I don't want it to be essentially the same---I want it to be exactly the same. Because the more you look at the same exact thing, the more the meaning goes away, and the better and emptier you feel

Heh, food for thought, at least for me.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Man, I'm pretty far in to Catch-22. Somewhere past page 300.

I've really enjoyed reading this.

It's been a hilarious, depressing, outrageous, (in)sane ride and frankly I'm not sure how it will end or where it's even going.

Yeah, it's great. Catching someone else's dose of clap / The crack anti-aircraft gunners of the Hermann Goering division. :D

p.S fuck Aarfy, fucking sociopath.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Wow, what a fucking book that was. I think this is definitely one of the best books I've ever read.

I am going to have to take some time to ruminate on this one. Really glad I picked a hardback of this.

How's the movie?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Picked up some books I have never read:

Catch-22
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Great Gatsby

I'm reading Catch-22 right now. Really enjoying it so far. Not sure where this book will go.

The Great Gatsby is incredible and completely worth all of the praise that it gets.

Have you read all of the Ender's book? They are all excellent in my opinion though the books post-Children of the Mind and into the Shadow Saga got kind of preachy but still somewhat dystopian in nature.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I read all the Ender's books about Ender (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind.)

I liked Speaker the best. Ender's Game was a decent read but the end of the book really sealed it for me. Talk about a surprise. I liked how the whole arc ended in Children of the Mind with the peace between Humans, Pequinos, and the Bugs + the discovery of a new species. That was good stuff.
I don't know that I have any interest in reading further in the ender universe.

You guys should read A Canticle For Leibowitz. Good book. That's a book I have come back to read one passage in particular. Great shit, especially if you want to read some nuclear holocaust fiction that came out in 1959!

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Going to the (used) bookstore tomorrow. I'll be sure to post what I get.

I'm reading The Great Gatsby now. I'm like 65 pages or so in. It was real slow, rocky start for me in the first chapter but I have found I'm enjoying reading it now that I'm further in. That seems to happen to me occasionally. Takes me awhile to adjust to an author's style.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Just finished Tuesdays with Morrie. Very insightful book, but nowhere near as good as the five people you meet in heaven. I hear mitch alborn wrote another book but I havent tried reading any reviews on it. anyone hear anything?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I went looking at my local used book store to pick up Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion because my friend recommended it, but they didn't have it. Here is what I did manage to get:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - I was surprised to find only one copy and it's undoubtedly one of the shittiest paperbacks I have ever seen. The cover of the book actually says BLADE RUNNER and has the fucking BR movie poster on it, and then in tiny parentheses it says "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" - whatever though, it was like $2 so I'll deal with it. I'm reading this now, just got to chapter 3. Definitely intrigued so far.

The Road - I've never read anything by Cormac McCarthy. I've seen this movie, liked it. Looking forward to reading the book. I was wanting to read some depressing, dystopian and/or post apocalyptic shit again.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Never read it. Figured I probably should.

Heart of Darkness - Never read it, again, figured I probably should.

I finished The Great Gatsby. I don't know guys, I enjoyed it but I guess it just wasn't for me.

I just want to say again that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest is a fucking rad book. Damn what a great book.

Anyone want to recommend some dystopian and/or post-apocalyptic fiction?

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Been reading a bit more of The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
finally finished New Machiavelli and picked up Catch 22 at the used book store while drunk the other night, so i'll be reading that on the bus starting on monday.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
People are going to wonder why you're laughing like a maniac on the bus.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
i'm a long haired hippy on a bus that doesn't dress like a hipster or look homeless, they are already wondering....