The Hitachi Navi GPS HiSaturn

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Review time! And this time, its gonna be good! For I am reviewing the Hitachi Navi GPS HiSaturn! :D

I know I know, I was supposed to do this a long time ago. But I only got around to taking pics tonight... so... yeah!

The Navi (as I will refer to it from here on out) was released back in '98. I have HEARD that it was released in both the US and in Japan, but I cannot confirm this. I can confirm that the console itself cost a whopping $1000 and the TFT backlit-matrix screen (which was sold seperately) was sold for $500. Its interesting to note that the region set for the Navi is the US. Why it wasn't Japan is beyond me. But onwards!

Looks: 10/10
Aesthetically, the Navi is by far the sexiest Saturn out there. I mean, LOOK AT IT!
DSCF0320.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

Its so flat. And it has so many fun buttons on it. And the LEDs are VERY bright! But wait, what about with the screen attached? Well...

The screen itself is much larger than I originally thought it would be (a bit bigger than the DS' top screen, as you can see here:)
DSCF0637.jpg

The screen is a TFT backlit matrix screen (the highest quality type of screen there is today, same as the PSP). The image is superb.

Functionality: 10/10
Well, it works perfectly as a Saturn. Plays the games, plays your CDs, etc. Also built into it is a karaoke machine. The machine has two mic inputs and volume knobs for each mic. It also has various sound options for the karaoke, as well as pitch/tone controls. Very cool.
DSCF0644.jpg

The screen itself has tint/brightness knobs as well as volume control. It also has a switch for "Front/Rear", but I'm not sure what this does.
DSCF0638.jpg

The screen has a speaker built into it, and I must say, the sound quality is SUPERB! My roomate had to turn it down while he was taking pics of PDIIZwei because it was too loud for him. Heh.

The screen connects into the back of the Navi here:
DSCF0325.jpg

Also pictured are the power inputs.

Another point of interest is that the Navi has A/V INS! Meaning, you could run something INTO the Navi Saturn for it to be displayed on the screen.
DSCF0324.jpg

The Navi also comes with a car power cable for the car-cigarette-lighter-thingy. I haven't had the chance to test this out yet, but the concept alone is amazing.

As for the GPS, the Navi uses the Naviken CDs, which I assume are in Japan only and would only work in Japan. Granted, leaving a $1500 in my car would be retarded, so we'll just assume it works well and give the system the nod for it.

Last edited:

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Amazingly enough, the Action Replay (or whatever you use to play imports) doesn't get in the way at all with the Navi's screen! (as you can see here:)
DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0633.jpg

So fear not, from Radiant Silvergun to Taromaru, it can be played on the Navi's screen without anything obstructing the view!!!

All in all, the Hitachi Navi GPS HiSaturn is an amazing piece of hardware. Everything on it oozes quality. My only complaint is that the disc drive is a bit too loud. But other than that, it is definitely one pimp ass Sega Saturn.

More pics of the screen in action:
DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0631.jpg

DSCF0630.jpg

DSCF0629.jpg

DSCF0628.jpg

DSCF0626.jpg

So there you go guys. Probably the best look at the Navi HiSaturn on the net. :)

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Pretty cool! I want one! :)

It is pretty strange that the region is set to the 'States. I'd prefer it set to Japan, myself, since I have quite a few Japanese games that use a RAM cart and not a single U.S. game that does. I wonder if they are all set to the US or if you just managed to get a more unusual machine.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
LOL i was just gonna say I saw a thread regarding the region of Navi Saturn this morning elsewhere.....but I just looked again and its your heh :emb:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Focus next time.

no gps interface shots?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
kewl system, but not worth the price. you can just as easily mount an LCD screen on a saturn with a little work. the rest of the navi saturns features are usless outside of japan, and possibly in japan (if the particular gps subscription service is dead). i definetly wouldn't leave that shit in a hot car day after day, for the price it's worth.

stealth

do not deal with this person
jp. said:
Review time! And this time, its gonna be good! For I am reviewing the Hitachi Navi GPS HiSaturn! :D

I know I know, I was supposed to do this a long time ago. But I only got around to taking pics tonight... so... yeah!

The Navi (as I will refer to it from here on out) was released back in '98. I have HEARD that it was released in both the US and in Japan, but I cannot confirm this. I can confirm that the console itself cost a whopping $1000 and the TFT backlit-matrix screen (which was sold seperately) was sold for $500. Its interesting to note that the region set for the Navi is the US. Why it wasn't Japan is beyond me. But onwards!

Looks: 10/10
Aesthetically, the Navi is by far the sexiest Saturn out there. I mean, LOOK AT IT!
DSCF0320.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

Its so flat. And it has so many fun buttons on it. And the LEDs are VERY bright! But wait, what about with the screen attached? Well...

The screen itself is much larger than I originally thought it would be (a bit bigger than the DS' top screen, as you can see here:)
DSCF0637.jpg

The screen is a TFT backlit matrix screen (the highest quality type of screen there is today, same as the PSP). The image is superb.

Functionality: 10/10
Well, it works perfectly as a Saturn. Plays the games, plays your CDs, etc. Also built into it is a karaoke machine. The machine has two mic inputs and volume knobs for each mic. It also has various sound options for the karaoke, as well as pitch/tone controls. Very cool.
DSCF0644.jpg

The screen itself has tint/brightness knobs as well as volume control. It also has a switch for "Front/Rear", but I'm not sure what this does.
DSCF0638.jpg

The screen has a speaker built into it, and I must say, the sound quality is SUPERB! My roomate had to turn it down while he was taking pics of PDIIZwei because it was too loud for him. Heh.

The screen connects into the back of the Navi here:
DSCF0325.jpg

Also pictured are the power inputs.

Another point of interest is that the Navi has A/V INS! Meaning, you could run something INTO the Navi Saturn for it to be displayed on the screen.
DSCF0324.jpg

The Navi also comes with a car power cable for the car-cigarette-lighter-thingy. I haven't had the chance to test this out yet, but the concept alone is amazing.

As for the GPS, the Navi uses the Naviken CDs, which I assume are in Japan only and would only work in Japan. Granted, leaving a $1500 in my car would be retarded, so we'll just assume it works well and give the system the nod for it.

Nice bit of kit

How much did it cost you?

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
The first one cost me $1500.

The second one cost me $800 as it didn't come with the screen.

I'm currently looking for a boxed screen and a third one. :D

Sorry that some of the game pics are out of focus/blurry. The game was in motion when my roomate took the pictures! :)

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
DashK said:
kewl system, but not worth the price. you can just as easily mount an LCD screen on a saturn with a little work.

Likewise I could easily build/buy bootleg AES carts, but I do not. ;)

For a Saturn collector its totally worth the price. But yeah, at the time of its release, probably not so much as leaving it in a hot car would be a very stupid thing to do indeed!

stealth

do not deal with this person
I agree they are worth the price if you are a saturn collector
where abouts are you buying them from? What sort of condition was the $1500
hi saturn in?

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
I snagged both off of Ebay.

The $1500 one was in mint condition but none of it was boxed.

The $800 one is in mint condition and was boxed (could've been brand new).

Now I just need a boxed brand new screen to go with it.

dj898

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
it's one helluva cool yet useless piece of hardware history ^ ^

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
A very cool piece congrats on it.
I guess you can always brag

O yea? well MY SEga Saturn can show me the way home.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
A very cool piece congrats on it.
I guess you can always brag

O yea? well MY SEga Saturn can show me the way home.

only if your in Japan and you have the navi disc