The DS is HACKED!

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Or more so linux is being used to hack the ds..

Give it time though.. linux will be on the ds soon enought

:)

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I think the guy doing this is a cunt trying to make himself the envy of his nerdy friends, it's a pointless exercise running linux on the DS

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
hows it pointless?

come on give me a reason.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
If you found some sort of signal decryption thingie, you could theoretically browse the internet on the thing, eh?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
once tcp/ip is supported, and maybe SDL.. you can have quakeworld

IRC

web browsing

x windows

SSH

bash

.. blech

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
kernow said:
hows it pointless?

come on give me a reason.

Linux on a DS, very

With no keyboard you can't do very much for a start. And taking into the account the DS has no hard disk the OS would all have to be stored in RAM thus giving little to no space to run actual programs. It would be slow unless a very basic version of Linux was used, which in a way takes us back to square one as you won't be able to do much with it.

This is a example of a g33k trying to make his name known in the world, not anything of benefit to the DS and it's users

madmanjock said:
Linux on a DS, very

With no keyboard you can't do very much for a start. And taking into the account the DS has no hard disk the OS would all have to be stored in RAM thus giving little to no space to run actual programs. It would be slow unless a very basic version of Linux was used, which in a way takes us back to square one as you won't be able to do much with it.

This is a example of a g33k trying to make his name known in the world, not anything of benefit to the DS and it's users

It's being run froma GBA flashcart dork. They're already working on the best methods of input (virtual keyboard, pda-like, etc) and then they will port programs to it.

Once Linux is on the DS taking it online is a breze, no signal decryption, it's just NiFi with the headers hacked normally, but that's intentional, it can send TCP/IP easily.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
madmanjock said:
Linux on a DS, very

on screen keyboard

NFS mounted root over wi-fi

simple, its got more RAM than whats needed too.

I wouldn't expect you to understand though :)

PlayerOne

Marked Wolf
A DS is more powerful and a flashcart has more memory than some of the machines that unix used to run multiuser systems on about 15-20 years ago.

On the other hand, yes it is pretty geeky, and some of us think Linux isn't much use on a PC either. ;)

Hacking the machine for homebrew games and emulators and stuff is pretty cool though.

If this Linux on a DS is a project for college, or research for a job/perpheral work then it has purpose.

I am simply saying that in my experience, I've developed and crafted many projects in my time, most of them were silly and useless. I've gotten older and have realized that so much of what I've done, and thought of doing is also just as pointless.

In other words, as I've gotten older I have realized that curiosity isn't enough reason to do the things that I do.

Linux on a DS... <shrug> if he has a use for it besides comparing his intellectual penis against another, then that is great.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
The purpose? To show that Linux will run on practically anything.

I gotta question

He say's on his site that there might be a way to put a DS game on to a GBA Flash cart. Is that possible? I am sure a DS game would be way to big for the flash cart?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Squall Leonhart said:
I gotta question

He say's on his site that there might be a way to put a DS game on to a GBA Flash cart. Is that possible? I am sure a DS game would be way to big for the flash cart?

Depends on the size of the game, and the size of the flashcart. As far as I know, DS games have a 1Gbit limit, in other words, if you get 1Gbit+ flashcarts, you may be able to store these games.

But again, it depends on the size of the game.

Squall Leonhart said:
I gotta question

You only need a 128 Megabyte flashcart. The only reason he's doing it on GBA flashcarts is they're available, and to show you can boot the DS from the GBA slot. This wasn't much of a leap when he proved it was possible, Nintendo also made it possible to boot the SNES through the Super Game Boy (see: Space Invaders) but figuring it out was the trick.

As for -why- Darkfader does what he does...there's a ton of people on this site who banter about all day accomplishing nothing, here we have someone who enjoys spending his time hacking his way through things...I see no reason for any bboard junkie to be so hypocritical as to question darkfader choosing to spend his time hacking the DS.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
jethrek said:
You only need a 128 Megabyte flashcart. The only reason he's doing it on GBA flashcarts is they're available, and to show you can boot the DS from the GBA slot. This wasn't much of a leap when he proved it was possible, Nintendo also made it possible to boot the SNES through the Super Game Boy (see: Space Invaders) but figuring it out was the trick.

As for -why- Darkfader does what he does...there's a ton of people on this site who banter about all day accomplishing nothing, here we have someone who enjoys spending his time hacking his way through things...I see no reason for any bboard junkie to be so hypocritical as to question darkfader choosing to spend his time hacking the DS.

coughxacrowcough :kekeke:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
How about you fuckers just play some games on your DS?

......oh wait, thats right. THERE AREN'T ANY!!1

unless you count GBA games....rofl.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
If this dude can get me a way to use the ds as a day planer then I'm all for it!

PS: He did get the Prime Hunters demo to boot from a gba flash card.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
gamejunkie said:
PS: He did get the Prime Hunters demo to boot from a gba flash card.

:spock: very interesting.

PS. DINKINS YOU FUCK TWAT, GET ON THAT VID!