The Division (PS4/XBone)

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
On the PC front, Nvidia is doing a promo with the GTX 970 wherein if one buys the card one gets a copy of The Division gratis.

I was in need of a new VC so I jumped on this deal today.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Just waiting for my download to unlock, couple more hours.

I'm glad I've got the rest of the week off work, this flu is kicking my ass.

Waiting with great anticipation for the shooting to begin.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Jesus I was impressed just watching the tile on the column being shot...hopefully it plays as good as it looks...

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Played a fuck load of this today, early impression time. I like the way it moves and plays. There is good convenient fast travel. It is very easy to team up with your friends: you see anyone on your friend list on the map, you can fast travel and instantly join them, and any mission they are doing you get shared credit for. There is a lot of loot, and a crafting system. I haven't dug into the perks yet, or gone to the dark zone.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Very quick impressions after a couple hours:

Sluggish input in combat, but still has fun. Moment to moment combat controls blatantly sacrifice input responsiveness for animation complexity, which follows the trend of other UBI games like assassins creed. This can be frustrating for me. Nowhere near the immediate "this feels great" feeling of something like Destiny.

Loot, abilities, stats are generally what one would expect out of a shooter-RPG. Haven't played enough to know if the loot will be something I truly crave though.

Obviously playing with other people makes it more enjoyable.

I like the setting and overall premise, even though it's a bit hokey and I could see some feeling the world is too bland.

I feel a bit like a big asshole to be killing "rioters and looters".

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I thought the rioters were infected with the virus, like it made them crazy. They are just tweakers though, no virus.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
PC - looks pretty, haven't played much. It was free with my 980ti

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
It's been enjoyable so far, just some annoying design choices with the PC port. The fancy environmental UI is kinda annoying to read while sprinting or if you come at a weird angle to a new area. I wish I just had more standard hud and title cards. The menus are pretty awful for PC, they look cool but are awful to navigate. Running from mission to mission doesn't really make the city feel like an entity just a weird pacman mini game that is navigating nyc between mission arenas. Dark Zone is neat and I can't wait to hit max level and fuck around with friends in there. I actually like the environment in the Dark Zone a lot. Once you have your goods and are running from a pack of 6 people you get a nice rush. Navigating it is really fun running down alleys and through crack houses to lose people was fun. The tension of waiting for an extraction with a bunch of non rogue people and wondering who might go full psycho has led to some really fun conversations.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
This game looks boring as fuck.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
My problem so far with the coop goodness has been that friends are in either of two camps. They have a) the game and for various reasons have had innumerable hours of time to pour into it and by the time I get online they are waaaaaay ahead in terms of skills and missions completed, or b) have not purchased the game at all and are waiting for consensus on whether it is a worthy purchase.

So last night I played my first hour, by myself, and neither of the two above groups do me any good going further.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This game looks boring as fuck.

Yeah I was thinking the same. The problem is that Gears of War ruined me. Those games just set the bar so high that everything else feels boring. I just started playing through ultimate edition on the Bone and it is oh so good.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
This game is more for loot fiends than fans of excitement. Some fire fights were exciting though, and there are jumping puzzles.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I'd buy this for like $20 in a few months but by then it will probably be deserted so I'll probably pass on it. I feel the same about the other online-only games like Battlefront, Destiny, and R6 Siege.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Tom Clancy's The Division vs IRL

HVD2Un3.jpg

From reddit

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
My first impressions were pretty positive, though the amount of damage that enemies can take if you don't get a headshot seems kind of silly. Granted, I assume that better loot will help with damage output and that leveling up should hopefully lead to better aiming, but having to use a full clip on every damn fodder enemy strikes me as bad balance.

Magician

20 Year Member
At level 20 now. I don't have anything to add ontop of what was already said. How about something different, pros and cons perhaps?

+Gunplay sounds and feels great.
+The setting works well, and the echos placed around New York sell the epidemic.
+RPG rules within a realistic world; think Borderlands before Gearbox switched to cell shading.
+Forming co-op parties is super easy.
-Glitches abound; I've died due to being stuck in the environment too many times.
-Trolls abound; griefers have learned to stand in doorways to block access to resupplies and quest givers.
-Server issues, mostly a launch-day problem...no issues in this regard since.
-Player controls, in and out of cover, feels herky jerky.
-NPC A.I. is awful, often doing an awesome job of pushing you out of cover and blocking your line of sight.

As an rpg fan, The Division is scratching that loot'n'shoot itch that Borderlands did so well and where Destiny failed.

If you're accustomed to players dying in one shot to the head in your shooting game...The Division isn't for you.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
My first impressions were pretty positive, though the amount of damage that enemies can take if you don't get a headshot seems kind of silly. Granted, I assume that better loot will help with damage output and that leveling up should hopefully lead to better aiming, but having to use a full clip on every damn fodder enemy strikes me as bad balance.

Try a marksman rifle with a rate of fire around 300 (semi-auto). They all come with +100% headshot damage, stock. All fodder die with either a shot to the head or two in the chest. If it takes more...you're under-geared.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I have only played the Alpha - has anything changed from then to the final release?
I was hoping this game would have had more simulation to the gunplay and damage and not make every enemy a bullet sponge like Gears of War (I like GoW dont get me wrong).
I wanted this to be a tactical shooter with RPG elements. Should I look elsewhere?