The Discworld and general Terry Pratchett thread

Marek

Banned
I have been wanting to make this thread for a long time but I always forget.

Im a huge discworld fan, having been turned on to the series as a coping mechanism for running out of Douglas Adams material (RIP). Thankfully that person was right, Pratchett is every bit as hilarious and creative as Adams.

Starting a couple years ago I have listened to every Discworld book on unabridged audiobook. The voice acting is sensational, especially the guy who voiced the first half of the series. Stephen Briggs, who voiced the latter half, took some getting used to but is pretty great too.

I assume someone here is a Pratchett supernerd, but he rarely gets brought up around here, seems like. Anyone else?

Its hard to pick favorites with Pratchett, but all the early books in the Witches series, the Night Watch series, any of the Death books, and anything with Rincewind fucking awesome.

Some of my favorite standalones in the Discworld epic are The Last Hero, Thief of Time, abnd The Wee Free Men (all time hilariousness in that book). By standalone I mean that anyone, familiar with the Discworld or not, could pick up, enjoy, and not feel left out.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
My only real brush with the discworld books is a frustrating playstation 1 rpg that I ended up cheating my way through, to my shame. That and a documentary I saw about Pratchett's alzheimers and his bid for the right to kill himself.

Thought I'd kick the responses off with a cheery note.

Marek

Banned
My only real brush with the discworld books is a frustrating playstation 1 rpg that I ended up cheating my way through, to my shame. That and a documentary I saw about Pratchett's alzheimers and his bid for the right to kill himself.

Thought I'd kick the responses off with a cheery note.

Haha yeah the books are fucking hilarious. I hope he stays healthy. You should check out the Wee Free Men on audio. I busted out laughing constantly.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm a fan, but I've only mildly dived into the universe. I always knew of the Discworld series, but I didn't get into it until recently. I actually watched Prachett's documentary on assisted suicide, which made me finally start reading his work.

I really love the satire. It's smart and not too snarky.

I got lazy and watched some of the recent BBC productions, and I think they covered his style well.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm gonna check one of them one, need something need to read anyway and Brave New World is making me want to do horrible things.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Mort was always my fave book, by Pratchett.

Am also a huge Douglas Adams fan, long dark teatime of the soul and whatnot...

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I never heard of the discworld universe until the movie "the colour of magic". Pretty good TV adaptation with many well known actors. Only read a few of the books on my free time, but really hilarious reads. Probably my favorite characters in the series would have to be Death and the Luggage.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I remember being in a school library being forced to pick and read a book by my teacher. I saw the front cover of Jingo and immediately wanted to read it. That was about 10 years ago and I liked it a lot. Should really go back and read all the Discworld books again now that I probably can appreciate them more.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
How to read the Discworld series in one easy chart.

Reaper Man is the first one I read, and still my favorite. I've seen The Colour of Magic and Hogfather, and prefer the Hogfather movie. Prefer the voice of Death for Hogfather as well. Yes, even over Christopher Lee's version. Didn't like the portrayal of Rincewind in The Colour of Magic.

I own two autographed Pratchett books. One is the large, hard bound UK edition of The Last Hero that I acquired from a rare book seller. The other is a hardback U.S. version of Thud! that I found in a publisher's remainder pile at Barnes & Noble for $5.98.

I was going through the pile looking for the one in the best condition and saw one copy that had a "Signed by the author" sticker on it. I thought it had to be a mistake, but I opened it up and sure enough, it was signed by Pratchett.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
How to read the Discworld series in one easy chart.

Reaper Man is the first one I read, and still my favorite. I've seen The Colour of Magic and Hogfather, and prefer the Hogfather movie. Prefer the voice of Death for Hogfather as well. Yes, even over Christopher Lee's version. Didn't like the portrayal of Rincewind in The Colour of Magic.

I own two autographed Pratchett books. One is the large, hard bound UK edition of The Last Hero that I acquired from a rare book seller. The other is a hardback U.S. version of Thud! that I found in a publisher's remainder pile at Barnes & Noble for $5.98.

I was going through the pile looking for the one in the best condition and saw one copy that had a "Signed by the author" sticker on it. I thought it had to be a mistake, but I opened it up and sure enough, it was signed by Pratchett.

I HATE Terry Pratchett with a passion... his books are all contrived and mediocre at best...

...pfft... people love him... but in all honesty... I haven't a good word to say about ANY of his literary work...

HOWEVER, I admire him for his charity work...

xROTx

PS. Bio_M pal... I have issues of Playboy Mag... that are better reading...:p

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Love Pratchett. First one I ever read was Mort when it first came out in hardcover in the '80s. I've been hooked ever since.

I just re-read Guards! Guards! and felt compelled to re-read Men at Arms, I'll probably feel compelled to re-read Feet of Clay next.

Some of my other favorites:

Mort
Guards! Guards!
Feet of Clay
The Truth
Going Postal
Thief of Time

Marek

Banned
I knew I wasn't alone here!

Mort is fucking awesome gotta love the ones where death has an existential crisis... So every death book.

I really love Equal Rites. All the new ones with moist van lipwig are pretty aces too especially since Vimes is all up in them.

Vetenari is my favorite king/despot/tyrant character of all time.

Lol rot whysoserious? All his books are contrived? Hes pushing 40 discworld books. You've read probably 3 I'm guessing. ..at most

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Hey poppy, read Good Omens while yer at it. It's co-written by Neil Gaiman. It has a real Discworld vibe (Death even makes an appearance.

Marek

Banned
Hey poppy, read Good Omens while yer at it. It's co-written by Neil Gaiman. It has a real Discworld vibe (Death even makes an appearance.

Funny you should mention that! Im halfway through the first Good Omens book on audio right now. It reads so much like DW that I keep waiting for Weatherwax and Ogg to show up. Great stuff!

I think Good Omens is what prompted me to finally make this thread.

Have you read/heard the newest DW book, Raising Steam? If not I highly recommend it. Its outstanding. Reading the prior book Snuff beforehand is recommended though because it makes sense of the whole goblin liberation thing, and introduces the goblin character 'Of the twilight, the darkness'. "Of the twlight the darkness" is one of the best characters in the whole series imo.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm actually reading Reaper Man right now (the german version), not too far in but its pretty amusing.

I guess his books just don't contain enough pretty pictures for rot.

Marek

Banned
I'm actually reading Reaper Man right now (the german version), not too far in but its pretty amusing.

I guess his books just don't contain enough pretty pictures for rot.

Reaper Man is classic. Mort is a great one to go to next.