The Definitive Emulation Thread

TerryMasters

Galford's Armourer
I had some emulation questions and figured who knows, maybe this thread will help somebody, or maybe someone will go all Arcademan on it and post updates when new stuff comes out. Or both.

Right now, there are two emulation questions that I could use some help with. The first one is about MAME - I see that they added, 'Next Game/Previous Game' buttons to the Neo input, but I've found absolutely nothing on how to load multiple carts at once. Does anyone here know how to do it?

My second question is about ElSemi's Nebula Jukebox. I'm trying to load the music from Puzzle Bobble, and it tells me it can't find a specific rom (083-m1.bin [Z80]). Now Jukebox hasn't been updated since 2004, and since then the Neo-Geo BIOS has been updated, the roms themselves have been updated... so while they work fine in MAME they're all wonked in Juke. My specific prob is that I have to load it with this program, it can't be in M1 or anything else. So does anyone know what I would need to do to get this working? I tried renaming the m1 rom inside the Bust-A-Move set but it still said the file was missing which makes me think it's got something to do with the BIOS.

Anybody know what's up? Post your questions too if you've got any and I'll try to help. No rom begging obvz.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
MAME has been adding things to make emulation more accurate without really following through on functionality for a while. The way the rom loading works I really doubt you can load up more than one at a time.

Youll have to track down a nebula version of the rom from around 2004 for the jukebox to work since the romsets have changed a lot since then. A better option might be to just use the unibios in mame and use its jukebox feature.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
What's the best emulator for PS1?

Has anyone made a decent emulator for 3DO, CDi, Jaguar, Saturn, or Turbo GrafX-16 yet?

TerryMasters

Galford's Armourer

Has anyone made a decent emulator for 3DO, CDi, Jaguar, Saturn, or Turbo GrafX-16 yet?

In my experience, yes to Q1, no to Q2 for the Saturn at least. I can't tell you the hell I've been through trying to get the Saturn ones working properly. Just when you think it's going to work, graphical glitches - thousands of them. ePSXe works alright for me for the most part, even enhances games in some cases.

Thanks Nes for confirmation about the MAME thing and for what I'm trying to do, I think I am going to end up tracking down the old roms. This ought to be fun... anyone here speak chinese?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
The problem with nebula is it didn't necessarily take MAME set roms for neogeo. Gotta remember there were nebula, finalburn, neorage and mame versions of neogeo roms floating around at the time.

Try looking for a .76 or so Mame set though. It should be about the right date for it to be the old style romsets. Good luck finding one though, I had a horrible time trying to find one when I needed some old versions.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member

There is an amazing TG-16 emulator out there, but you have to pay for it.

I personally use TurboEngine and works ok.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find people actually interested in emulating the steaming fuck pile that was the CDi. Might as well start programming a Apple Pippen emulator.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member

ePSXe works really well if you have a decent computer. You need to track down the BIOS files to run it and plug-ins for just about everything, but those are relatively easy to find. As for Saturn, I've been tooling around with SSF and seeing how it works. Its compatibility gets better if you have a Saturn BIOS file to run with it, but thankfully, it's ready to go when you unzip the emulator. Either burn or mount a Saturn ISO and give it a whirl. The only game I've tried on it so far is Mega Man 8, but it seems to run just fine.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Because he had to shave his? :conf:

Not yet. That all goes down the 1st of November.

Anyway, everyone needs to check out the WIP versions of Dolphin. It's probably the best modern emulator I've used and gets updated incredibly fast and frequently.

SSS

neo retired
SSF is an amazingly accurate emulator, but it's been designed around multi core processors now. You need a decent computer, runs full speed on mine.

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
With PSX emus, epsxe is great and probably the best one, but I've found the occasional game works better on another emu.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
Are there any good emus for the naomi and naomi 2? I really want to play the arcade games like VF4 final tuned which never really got a home port.