The Comic Book Thread

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Earlier this month Chris Sprouse was at a convention here in Cincinnati. He was at a small table near the corner of the convention. There wasn't much in the way of foot traffic around him which I found surprising. I've always been a fan of his art so I decided to take a look at some penciled pages that were sitting on the corner of the table. It turns out the pages I was perusing through were the ones for his issue of Multiversity. :eek:

I read the SOS issue on Sunday. It was good overall but I felt like it wasn't as "grand" or "epic" as I thought it might be. With Multiversity #1 I got a vibe about it similar to how I did with the original CoIE. I was expecting a similar vibe from this issue and didn't get that. Like I said, it was a good story and an entertaining read but I either missed or they didn't properly convey to me that it was two Earths battling each other. I wasn't sure if Vandal Savage and his cronies were from the counter Earth or not. Oh well, I imagine next issue with the Just will be more self contained with snippets to the overall story like this issue was.

I'm glad this topic got bumped back up, I got a new Perez sketch from the show last week I've been meaning to upload. :D

No line at his table!?!? Muggles, we live in a time of muggles!!!!!

I'm sure those pages he was selling from S.O.S. had to be big bank prices

Just read Grayson #1-2 and the Future's End issue of Grayson. Much better than I was expecting. I was as skeptical as anyone about the new premise, but I really enjoyed it. The Future's End issue was especially enjoyable. I haven't been reading the event in general, so I don't know what's been going on with it or even what it's about, but the Grayson issue was very good.

Future's End is a odd beast in that different editors and writers have said different things on what is a actual future and what isn't. I didn't like the first issue proper and I got the Batgirl tie in because it had Cass Cain and Steph Brown

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Future's End is a odd beast in that different editors and writers have said different things on what is a actual future and what isn't.
I looked at several issues of the main title at the same time and decided it wasn't for me. Way too uneven in the art, and it didn't look like anything interesting was happening. Same thing with Batman Eternal. Mish-mash of artists way too uneven, and nothing really grabbed me as interesting while flipping through several issues.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Here are the series I'm still keeping up with

DC Comics:
The Flash
Aquaman
Aquaman and the Others
Batman 66
Batman 66 Meets the Green Hornet

I'm wondering what's going to happen when the dust settles in Flash regarding the whole Wally/Future Barry/Present Barry/broken Speed Force thing. I hope they dump off Bart Allen, make Wally Kid Flash again, and keep Barry as Flash. Also still wondering if Heatwave survived Forever Evil, and whether we'll see the Top or if he was replaced by Turbine in N52. Would also like to see Captain Boomerang leave the Suicide Squad and go back to the Rogues. And has Abra Kadabra been spotted anywhere in New 52? I know he hasn't shown up in the mainline Flash series.

Aquaman has been consistently great since the relaunch. I was worried it would suffer when Geoff Johns moved on, but it hasn't. I want to see some more of his rogues gallery show up, like Fisherman or King Shark. We've seen plenty of Manta and Ocean Master.

Marvel:
Silver Surfer

Been great for the first five issues, hope it keeps up.

Indies:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Universe
Mega Man
Wayward
Samurai Jack

Wayward is only two issues in, but I'm digging it so far. The others I just keep buying out of habit, mostly.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Fuck them, their parents, their siblings and their pets

Whenever any of this was it's long over anywhere on the net or in the comic book fandom that has a properly functioning brain, Chaykin is a god when it comes to the craft, he's had several high profile creator owned works recently and he even came back and did a Shadow mini a little while ago continuing from his awesome Blood and Judgement miniseries, if there is any Chaykin hate still out there it's been drowned out by people who actually know what they're talking about

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Biggest comic book news of the year, as far as I'm concerned:

The Complete CORTO MALTESE To Be Published In English For The First Time

A couple years back, I got all hyped up when another publisher announced they were bringing Corto to the US. But they fucked it up seven ways from sunday. Small page size, colorized, with reformatted, cropped art. Some panels literally got a third of the sides clipped off of them, like the transition between widescreen to full frame. Fuckers.

But this time, it's IDW doing it, and they've committed to the entire series. IDW has done a freaking phenomenal job with other classic reprint material, from Terry & the Pirates and Dick Tracy, to stuff like the Dave Stevens' Rocketeer Artist's Edition. Corto Maltese is one of the best comics I've ever read, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather have handling this.

Oversized, black & white, and more faithful translations. I'm tempted to double dip and get both hardcover and softcover. First of 12 softcovers comes this December. I'm not sure when the first hardcover will show up. Alllllllll over this.

CortoMaltese05.jpg

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent

A couple years back, I got all hyped up when another publisher announced they were bringing Corto to the US. But they fucked it up seven ways from sunday. Small page size, colorized, with reformatted, cropped art. Some panels literally got a third of the sides clipped off of them, like the transition between widescreen to full frame. Fuckers.

But this time, it's IDW doing it, and they've committed to the entire series. IDW has done a freaking phenomenal job with other classic reprint material, from Terry & the Pirates and Dick Tracy, to stuff like the Dave Stevens' Rocketeer Artist's Edition. Corto Maltese is one of the best comics I've ever read, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather have handling this.

Oversized, black & white, and more faithful translations. I'm tempted to double dip and get both hardcover and softcover. First of 12 softcovers comes this December. I'm not sure when the first hardcover will show up. Alllllllll over this.

CortoMaltese05.jpg

Had never heard of Corto, but I agree that IDW has been doing a superb job when it comes to the publishing side of things as of late, hopefully they can follow this up with other Italian comics like Diabolik and Dylan Dog, and I'll probably give Corto Maltese a look, sounds like a fun swashbuckling sort of tale and my comics reading has been missing something like that

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Had never heard of Corto, but I agree that IDW has been doing a superb job when it comes to the publishing side of things as of late, hopefully they can follow this up with other Italian comics like Diabolik and Dylan Dog, and I'll probably give Corto Maltese a look, sounds like a fun swashbuckling sort of tale and my comics reading has been missing something like that
I'd love a high quality reprint of the early years of Diabolik. I look at the comic now, and it's mostly shit. But those first few decades are a lot of fun.

Dylan Dog is still pretty consistently entertaining. Dark Horse brought over a few before; I'd love to see them or someone else do more...

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member

CortoMaltese05.jpg

nigri-bouncing_zps8d234b66.gif

famicommander

15 Year Member
How is that? I've avoided it due to Kevin Smith writing it even tough I love the Green Hornet and Batman '66
I dig it. Haven't read a lot of Kevin Smith comics but I like most of his movies well enough.

It captures the essence of the show pretty well. It has the aesthetics, the campy dialogue, the ridiculous leaps in logic. They even draw Caesar Romero's moustache under his face paint.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
How is that? I've avoided it due to Kevin Smith writing it even tough I love the Green Hornet and Batman '66
It's actually two writers, and having seen the scripts (I'm lettering it) and having seen Smith scripts in the past, I think it's more the other guy writing it than Smith. And where Smith is not always my cup of tea, there is nothing in the comic that would make you suspect even slightly that he was involved at all, if you didn't see his name on it. I love this book almost as much as the regular Batman '66 book. Fun stuff.

If you can't still get the individual issues, I highly recommend the inevitable BM/GH tpb when it comes out. Especially if you've been enjoying the regular Batman '66 book. Now that book, I really hope lasts forever. Jeff Parker has been slamming it out of the park each time at bat, and every issue has been pure joy.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Well I'm sold, next time I go to the comic store I'll see if they have any of the back issues and if not considered that tpb preordered on amazon

I do believe while not setting the world on fire the Batman '66 tpb sells pretty damn good

Now if Warner would come down on the price tag for the blu ray set for the show

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Now if Warner would come down on the price tag for the blu ray set for the show

I know they are releasing the DVDs as single seasons in addition to the complete series set; if they do the BD that way too, I may pick them up one season at a time. I think most of my favorite episodes were in the first season anyway.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
I know they are releasing the DVDs as single seasons in addition to the complete series set; if they do the BD that way too, I may pick them up one season at a time. I think most of my favorite episodes were in the first season anyway.

My favs are all over and to be honest I can't even be sure what season any of them belong to

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
9e32fb900b819ef0b74d40a3a6858858.jpg

Back to the future for me this week. Would love to see how this would've turned out, if they had more than 72dpi to work with.

Art still captivates, layout is so dynamic...you could be reading a movie storyboard at points (ala Somerset Holmes).

The story holds up well. This should've been optioned for a movie, w/ Merc cast as the lead. ;^)

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Got to see, listen to and shake hands with all THREE of Los Hernandez Bros

B24418BB-CDE9-4ECD-8272-A0CD3AA40995_zpsaioglhgm.jpg

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Wonder Woman '77 just got announced at NYCC other then that I liked the Spider-Titles that got announced

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Finally got around to pulling the images off my phone of the sketch and print I got at the convention a few weeks back.

Here's the Perez Wonder Girl sketch. I was the last person who got a sketch for the day and surprisingly no one asked him for a Wonder Girl yet. He was very delighted to do the sketch.

I don't generally buy prints but this one mixed two of my favorite characters in Snoopy and Superman. For the life of me I cannot remember who I got the print from even though he signed it for me. :emb:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I just finished tracking down pretty much every Flash story that has been printed into a trade paperback, hardcover, or omnibus. I have the whole Geoff Johns run, the whole New 52, the whole Bart Flash run, a couple Impulse books, Flashpoint, Flash Omnibus Vol 1, all the Flash and GL books, Rebirth, and all the Waid stuff that has been collected (I'd kill for a Mark Waid Wally run omnibus).

Can anyone recommend good Flash stories outside of Flash-titled books, like Justice League or Titans or something? Obviously I've got all the Crisis stuff covered, but beyond that I'd be interested what anyone else thinks are important Flash stories.