The Big Day

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
[/QUOTE]What's the star trek replicator in the wall by the way? An ice dispenser or something?[/QUOTE]

A dryer vent.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
That looks great, it's the difference between night and day. Fucking bravo man.

If I had to make any criticism I would maybe say both sets of double doors look like they could take an extra coat of paint, but that really is nitpicking for the sake of something to say.

What's the star trek replicator in the wall by the way? An ice dispenser or something?

I'm not sure what you're asking about, though I think maybe you're asking about the hookups and drain for the washer and dryer maybe.

Also, the doors have had a lot of paint but they were not playing well for some reason. I don't know if it was the shit they were made of or the paint. Anyhow, that is just one of the many things we just called good enough on so we could get this done and over with. I'm not happy with the front door, and several other things.

If I were going to live there I would have done a lot of things differently. Most of the finishes are not at all to my taste, but they are kind of what is the in thing in the market around here at the moment, or at least reasonably close to it. Also some things we just has to settle for due to cost. All in all not too bad. I'm expecting around 90ish give or take if it goes to market. If it goes to family then I'll sell it for whats in it. At this point that is just about 65k.

Either way I need the cash, so I really want this gone asap.

Also, I want to thank everyone for the kind words and for going on the journey with me on the project. It's stuff like being able to come here and vent and post and have some intelligent conversation that help keeps me sane.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Damn, you really kicked it in the dick, dude. Nice job.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Very nice, wish I had hired you instead of that shitty contractor when I got my house.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Very nice. I like some of the things you did their. Over all good job!

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
That looks great, it's the difference between night and day. Fucking bravo man.

If I had to make any criticism I would maybe say both sets of double doors look like they could take an extra coat of paint, but that really is nitpicking for the sake of something to say.

I have to agree with this!

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Great work dude! Talk about a total transformation!

My guess is that those doors need a coat of primer, that's why the paint soaks right in. I'm pretty sure most cheaper (inexpensive) doors are made of pine, which has a tendency to soak up paint/stain like that. It would be a shame to put all that work into the house and have someone low-ball you because of minor cosmetic things like that.... Then again, I don't know if that area is a buyers or sellers market. Which would definitely make a difference.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Well, hit a bit of a snag on things. Seems, come October 24th my job is going away. I've been offered a different position with the company that I very much don't want, or I can find something else. As it stands now I'm looking for something else. Changing jobs as I'm trying to buy a house isn't going to help me out too much, so as a result I'm thinking about just maybe spending another 10k or so and building a new garage on the property and just living over at the house a few years. That, versus just doing some bullshit job I don't want until I can get this place sold and a new house bought and then try and change jobs.

Also, due to some serious issues with my Uncle's property I've decided to stay the fuck out of that mess as well. Seems it's a health hazard now and I want no part of having to be responsible for having that dealt with.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Well, hit a bit of a snag on things. Seems, come October 24th my job is going away. I've been offered a different position with the company that I very much don't want, or I can find something else. As it stands now I'm looking for something else. Changing jobs as I'm trying to buy a house isn't going to help me out too much, so as a result I'm thinking about just maybe spending another 10k or so and building a new garage on the property and just living over at the house a few years. That, versus just doing some bullshit job I don't want until I can get this place sold and a new house bought and then try and change jobs.

Also, due to some serious issues with my Uncle's property I've decided to stay the fuck out of that mess as well. Seems it's a health hazard now and I want no part of having to be responsible for having that dealt with.

At least you'll have a nice place to stay at while you work into your new situation.

Is your Uncle's property full of mold or something? If so, probably best to stay away.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Is your Uncle's property full of mold or something? If so, probably best to stay away.

Yes, yes it is. No one had been in there all summer and we've had a very wet summer, way more than any year in decades. The roof leaks very bad. With no one in it the backed up sewer hasn't been dealt with so that's in there.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Well, tomorrow is it.

The house is sold and I sign everything, hand the keys over tomorrow, and get my cash. I am glad to be done and out of that mess.

Also last week someone shot up a vacant house on the street. It was in the news and I was like, 'oh please don't be my house'

Thankfully it wasn't.

Soon I hope I'll be buying myself a new house and hope that it won't be this kind of adventure.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Whew! That was a long time. I hope you made some profit. That sounded like a nightmare.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I missed a lot of this.

Nice job!

You ever think of doing this (renovation) as a form of income?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Read through this thread today. Amazing transformation. It's like a different house. The crackheads had really left you with a project. Hopefully they'll be dead soon.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Well, everything is done and over. I made some cash on the deal. Not as much as I would have liked but I the neighborhood really brought down the appraisal. Sort of over did the remodel, but someone got a nice house out of it.

I don't plan on taking on a task that big ever again. Also those druggies are still in jail and should be for a good while longer.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Good job Stacks. Owning a 2 family and having Tenants I know this feeling. You purchased this place in real shit shape and transformed it. I'm currently on my third family right now and they just moved in. The last family that lived there for 4 years really tore the place up. Me and my pops managed to get the place back in nice shape in about two weeks. Bathroom cabinets and mirrors, painiting, alot of cleaning, some small plumbing. They let a huge red candle melt and spill onto the brand new carpeting I just had replaced about a year ago. The security deposit they gave me only covered 60% of the damage. The kicker is they said they are going to bring me to court if they don't get the full deposit back.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Good job Stacks. Owning a 2 family and having Tenants I know this feeling. You purchased this place in real shit shape and transformed it. I'm currently on my third family right now and they just moved in. The last family that lived there for 4 years really tore the place up. Me and my pops managed to get the place back in nice shape in about two weeks. Bathroom cabinets and mirrors, painiting, alot of cleaning, some small plumbing. They let a huge red candle melt and spill onto the brand new carpeting I just had replaced about a year ago. The security deposit they gave me only covered 60% of the damage. The kicker is they said they are going to bring me to court if they don't get the full deposit back.

That sucks.

Was it in the lease that you had to do an inspection before they moved out?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
No, I usually do the inspection after they leave with all the furniture and supplies removed so I could assess the damage. Most people who rent dont give a shit for the most part. They treat your apartment like a new car. For the first few months even year they care for it like a baby, after that they stop giving a shit.

I'm ready to rock though. Have receipts, invoices, pictures on file and a buddy who's friends with a good real estate lawyer. So let's see what happens.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
When I was renting, if I got any of my deposit back I considered it a bonus. I did get most of it back from both houses I rented, surprisingly, since I knew both places needed new carpet when I left (bad kitty!)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I mean you would think people before they completely moved out would at least give the place a good cleaning in effort to get their security deposit back but they don't. They just get up and leave and than come back two weeks later and say pay me.

They also left a refrigerator upstairs in the kitchen which is in good shape and just needed a good cleaning. They sent a txt to my wife the day they moved out saying we could keep the fridge that they didn't need it and now in spite of not getting their money back, they want the fridge that my current tenants are using. I could care less about the fridge since I have a backup in the basement incase my tenants upstairs need a temp fridge but I don't want these people near my home. Called up my lawyer and he said to have them hire a professional moving company to come by and pick it up and record the whole thing. We had them contact the lawyer and they never called us back.