That sucked - Food poisoning edition

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Well, today was the first day that I can say I'm back to 100%. That shit sucked, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Started feeling bad last Thursday and by the evening, it was like that famous scene from The Exorcist. My wife started feeling bad before I did; apparently, that prepackaged salad we ate kicked our asses. By Sunday night, I was done and felt it was time to go to the hospital or urgent care. I was convinced to wait until the morning as my wife thought maybe I was getting better. Wrong! I managed to drag myself to an urgent care Monday morning and was given a couple of prescriptions; they also gave me something for nauseas while I was there that really helped. I was able to get back in the office Wednesday, but still felt like total crap.

Protip - Don't fuck around with food poisoning!

tumblr_mntiolhySW1snpc3lo4_r1_500.gif

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That sucks hope you feel better.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Yeah, I've had food poisoning 3 times in the last 5 years. First comes loose stools, then, full-on diarrhea. After that, projectile vomiting. Sometimes, you puke, and nothing comes out. Basically, everything in your digestive tract is purged.

Luckily, all three times happened on a day off (what an awesome way to spend one). I was seriously dehydrated for about 24 hours and only Gatorade and other energy drinks would stay down.

Yeah, I wouldn't wish it on anyone either. The last time it happened to me, it was bad lettuce like you.

Jon

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The real food poisoning is when you end up on death's door for 2 weeks and lose 20 pounds. My dad ate bad chili from a restaurant when he was a teenager and spent 2 weeks in the hospital because of it. He actually felt like he was dying one day, like his life was actually slipping away. Scary stuff. Especially because if he croaked I wouldn't be here today!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The real food poisoning is when you end up on death's door for 2 weeks and lose 20 pounds. My dad ate bad chili from a restaurant when he was a teenager and spent 2 weeks in the hospital because of it. He actually felt like he was dying one day, like his life was actually slipping away. Scary stuff. Especially because if he croaked I wouldn't be here today!

That's some serious poisoning!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I once got food poisoning from a pizza (with no meat in it, even). My friend and I ate at a pizza restaurant and then went to the mall. I had never had food poisoning before, but I could tell something wasn't right. I hate using public toilets for shitting, but I had to. He was surprised when I told him I'd meet him back at the store because I had to go to the bathroom. It was even worse than I thought. Absolutely explosive diarrhea. With each detonation I felt the wind get knocked out of my lungs and my colon yawn like it just woke up from a 20 year slumber. I thought, "Man, I'm going to be in here forever and Tim's not going to know what happened." A few minutes later I hear someone rush into the stall next to me and shit his brains out, which triggered my diarrhea once more. I realized it was my friend when he yelled "You've sunk my battleshit!" We shat for another 15 minutes and then got in his car and - very luckily - made it back home before we shit our pants and his car.

Neo Ash

I know I dropped several pounds, but not sure of the actual amount. For whatever it's worth I had to go up a notch on my belt.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
This shit makes me feel better about my bouts of food poisoning. I basically threw up a bit and was too weak to move for a few days, but that's about it. Other then I have A Clockwork Orange reaction to Steak and Shake food. Which is weird since getting it from a vending machine, McDonalds and Pizza Hut didn't hit me the same way. I could go back and eat their food afterwards.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
everyone should note that 95% of food poisoning takes 24 hrs before symptoms occur.
some rare cases can be 12-18hrs.

so if you get sick after leaving a restaurant, there's a good chance it was not food toxin related.

fake

15 Year Member
everyone should note that 95% of food poisoning takes 24 hrs before symptoms occur.

so if you get sick after leaving a restaurant, there's a good chance it was not food toxin related.

Not exactly. It depends on what the cause of the food poisoning is. It could be anything from staph to salmonella to a parasite. Staph takes about an hour. A parasite can take weeks to cause noticeable symptoms.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

It took my dad 6 hours and he was throwing up like a madman. Was taken to the hospital shortly thereafter.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Guys word to the wise avoid pre-packaged salads like the plague. I work for a produce company and see all the food recall notices. Those things are constantly recalled for listeria and salmonella.

I've had food poisoning numerous times. I've gotten it twice from Wendy's chili. I usually notice it immediately after eating that it was bad. I tend to expel orally and rectaly in a couple hours.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Guys word to the wise avoid pre-packaged salads like the plague. I work for a produce company and see all the food recall notices. Those things are constantly recalled for listeria and salmonella.

I've had food poisoning numerous times. I've gotten it twice from Wendy's chili. I usually notice it immediately after eating that it was bad. I tend to expel orally and rectaly in a couple hours.

My dad's story that I posted earlier is why I have never eaten nor ever will eat restaurant chili of any kind. Seems to be a common trend here...

fake

15 Year Member
Weird - I wonder if it's a particular ingredient in the chili.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The chili was a few days old and I think the meat goes bad in it.

Anyone like Foster's Freeze? :p

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The chili was a few days old and I think the meat goes bad in it.

Anyone like Foster's Freeze? :p

Plus the spices mean it's much harder to detect the taste of the rancid meat, so you're more likely to eat a full portion of it unawares I guess.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I only had food poisoning really badly once. I luckily only had violent diarrhea and not vomiting. Bad part was it made me shit the bed. I don't wish it on anyone.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Prepackaged salad? Goddamn... where did you buy it? Sure beats diarrhea. Anyway, is your wife back to 100%, too?

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
We had a nationwide recall on packaged lettuce from our supermarkets earlier this year when they found it was contaminated with Salmonella. I've never buy that again.

Neo Ash

Prepackaged salad? Goddamn... where did you buy it? Sure beats diarrhea. Anyway, is your wife back to 100%, too?

Oh yeah, she's fine now. For whatever reason, she wasn't hit as hard with it as I was.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I only had food poisoning really badly once. I luckily only had violent diarrhea and not vomiting.

As was in your case, a violent case of diarrhea as well. Stomach felt like it was going to explode from the pain. Blood in the stool for a few days.
Took me a week or so to recover to the point where I could even consider leaving the house. Do not want to go through something like that again.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Not exactly. It depends on what the cause of the food poisoning is. It could be anything from staph to salmonella to a parasite. Staph takes about an hour. A parasite can take weeks to cause noticeable symptoms.

this is incorrect....mostly.
only the most severe staph cases are within an hour.

i guess you are in big trouble if it was parasite.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
this is incorrect....mostly.
only the most severe staph cases are within an hour.

i guess you are in big trouble if it was parasite.

The Centers for Disease Control:

What are the symptoms of staphylococcal food poisoning?
Staphylococcal toxins are fast-acting, symptoms usually develop within 30 minutes to 6 hours. Patients typically experience vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. The illness cannot be passed to other people and typically lasts for only 1 day. Severe illness is rare.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
The wife and I got food poisoning from bad Chinese food on our first date...knocked us both for six for a few days.

We've both had food poisoning a couple of times over the years as we tend to eat the same food as we have similar tastes, funny thing is, she tend to blow out her face with puke and I tend to blow out my arse with explosive diarrhea shit.