Tech Support: Stuck Button (PSP)

Akira1422

Zero's Secretary
Here's exactly what happened:

Playing Ridge Racer off the MS... Put it into sleep mode. Work........ (8hrs)

Came home, went to turn it back on, replay was going, which was where I left off. Hit X, it stuck on loading, so I turned it completely off. Started it back up and took out my UMD of Dawn of the Dead... Now the left arrow seems to be stuck. I've tried completely shutting it off numerous times, tried pulling the battery. I've let the battery completely die, no joy. Does anyone else have another idea? Its one of the first release 1.5 systems, I really dont wanna have to get another one.. I've already tried cleaning around the d-pad, no luck with that. I've let the battery die, and left it out of the system, hoping it was a small error like that. Aside from popping it open I'm out of ideas.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I had the same problem but it was the right direction on the d-pad. Had to send it to Sony to get the warrenty replacement. Now I'm on my third PSP. :chimp:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Smash it with a large hammer and post the video. You could even start a website like that guy who wanted a new G5 and was willing to upload a video of him blowing the old G4 up if enough donations given.

Akira1422

Zero's Secretary
Maybe if everyone sent me money. Then I'd have a video of my PSP getting blown the fuck up. i'm sure i could stuff a M88 in the disc tray, cover it with gas, stab it a few times, why the hell not. Gotta have the money first. $70 bux.

I have a sony digital camcorder, I could put it all on the memory stick.. hehe

Last edited:

Spike23

Ninja Combat Warrior
Akira1422 said:
Here's exactly what happened:

Playing Ridge Racer off the MS

that's the problem right there. had you played the actual UMD, it probably wouldn't have happened. don't get me wrong, i'm a BIG supporter of using the memory sticks to their full advantage (loaders/homebrew/emulators/etc.)

not sure what to tell you, but if you ever go to Sony for support on this, tell them it fucked up while playing the original game or they won't help any i'm sure.

your only other option is to take it apart and see what you can do about it. i'm sure it's something simple that you could do yourself.

Akira1422

Zero's Secretary
well, i guess i'll just send it off.. what do i have to do to get it to sony for warranty work?

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
I had this happen once and I fixed it but you wont like the answer.

I had this happen to my jpn 1.0 (which pretty much I had no warrenty to).

Anyways I took the unit apart and cleaned the contact points & turned it back on. Everything worked like a charm again.

I am guessing something just sometimes gets stuck in the d-pad section causing it to think the left button is pressed constantly.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Akira1422 said:
anyone? i sold off my manual.. :crying:

Call 1-800-345-7669. It will give you a few options to choose from and just go to the one for PSP and eventually you will be connected to a live person who will take some information from you and you can either opt to write down the info yourself or have them email it to you. Get it emailed to you to make it easier and the email will have all the instructions for what you need to do. And really all you need to do is tape the email and receipt to the system and send it in along with the ac adaptor and power cord. Two weeks later you will have a new psp with 2.0 firmware.

They sent me a minty fresh new one with no bad pixels.

Akira1422

Zero's Secretary
subbie said:

Anyways I took the unit apart and cleaned the contact points & turned it back on. Everything worked like a charm again.

I am guessing something just sometimes gets stuck in the d-pad section causing it to think the left button is pressed constantly.

I've gotta wait until I get paid again, but I'm considering just taking it apart. I'm good with electronics, so that shouldn't be too bad... Did you just use alochol and q-tips?

As for the other person just above this post, I'm scared they're gonna update it to 2.01 then I'm fukt.

Akira1422

Zero's Secretary
one more thing:

spike, does it matter how long you've had the system?

(+1 post count... :D )

Kiel

20 Year Member
Akira1422 said:
one more thing:

spike, does it matter how long you've had the system?

(+1 post count... :D )

The warranty is for 1 year and since the PSP hasn't been out a year you are ok.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Akira1422 said:
I've gotta wait until I get paid again, but I'm considering just taking it apart. I'm good with electronics, so that shouldn't be too bad... Did you just use alochol and q-tips?

Na I just blew the dust away and lighly wiped it with a glass cleaning cloth.

It's interesting for that all I needed to do was open it and clean a little. I tried shaking the unit or banging the end lightly to see if I could get it unstuck or anything but nothing worked untill I just opened it and lighly cleaned it.

Akira1422

Zero's Secretary
i'm just gonna crack mine open then... cuz i've tried hitting it on the desk or something to that effect and didnt have any luck.

on the note of taking it apart, are there any kind of wires that are connected to both halves of the system that i have to be wary of? that's all i'm really worried about, i can figure the rest out...

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Akira1422 said:
i'm just gonna crack mine open then... cuz i've tried hitting it on the desk or something to that effect and didnt have any luck.

on the note of taking it apart, are there any kind of wires that are connected to both halves of the system that i have to be wary of? that's all i'm really worried about, i can figure the rest out...

Not really anything to worrie about. Just take out all the screws in the back & the few in the battery compartment (best be careful sinec if you jack up the sticker your warenty is voided). The front should now pop right off. Once there just remove the d-pad plastic and clean them off. Also gently wipe off the pcb contact points for the d-pad & buttons. Give the thing a quick boot to make sure it stoped and you should be good to go (providing this is the issue at hand).

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
subbie said:

Yep, this is what I would do if I had a psp.

Akira1422

Zero's Secretary
I pulled the whole thing apart last night, cleaned the contacts w/ alcohol, still no joy...

anyone know where i can get replacement parts for a psp? i found one place, it had everying BUT the damn d-pad board...

damn LCD screen is a bitch to get outta there

Kiel

20 Year Member
Should have sent it in. :shame: