Swearing in the intro of KOF 98?

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Wow haha! Quite an interesting find Ninjainspandex! It reminds me of all those hidden messages the writers of disney used to put in the older animated classics.. heck they even managed to include a hidden drawing of a dick on the cover to little mermaid!! :D

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This is nothing new. Some carts have that sample, others don't. Check the revisions on mame if you don't believe me.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I checked my KOF 98 AES, it's the censored version. Makes sense I guess, its P ROM is not encrypted (PROGBK1).

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
So trolling existed in the neo scene even before this forum.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member

I just found a clearer sample. I gotta track me down one of these.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
so would this be programmed in the M1 or can it be something to do with the region setting?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Damn. Here I thought everybody knew that the AES KOF 98 was censored and to answer your question,it's the M1.
BB

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Wow haha! Quite an interesting find Ninjainspandex! It reminds me of all those hidden messages the writers of disney used to put in the older animated classics.. heck they even managed to include a hidden drawing of a dick on the cover to little mermaid!! :D
This is an older-than-the-internet myth that somehow still persists. Snopes debunked it ages ago. The artist was just tired late at night and didn't see how his drawing might look like a dick.

The only legit example of a disgruntled Disney artist sabotaging work with nudity is the naked woman in Rescuers.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
That's a hell of a find. I'd love to have a cart with that sample in my collection just fo rnovelty's sake.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Damn. Here I thought everybody knew that the AES KOF 98 was censored and to answer your question,it's the M1.
BB

Was about to say, I knew about this profanity shit also years ago lol

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
wow. this is crazy. I've never heard it before in any real world setting.

:snack: this is good shit

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The best bet is probably KOF 98 mvs carts with low serials.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
hey guys did you know there's a hobo who sucks your dick in burning fight omglol

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
burningfight.gif
tumblr_m14dcxwcE01r4cqijo1_400.gif

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The best bet is probably KOF 98 mvs carts with low serials.

Or carts with a PROGSF1 board, which is encrypted. It seems SNK would later release non-encrypted copies to minimize costs, like with Metal Slug 3.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
haha, this is great. Just checked my cart (serial# 5808) and it's got the swearing - never noticed it before. Thought it was just some random babble to create the illusion of a radio being tuned... makes me wonder if SNK changed other parts of the game as well.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My KOF98 MVS serial is 13246, and it has this sample.

I know a bunch of old school DJ's who are walking sample dictionaries, I could ask them.

Last edited:

Rotanibor

n00b
Yeah, I'd known this for a while too. Didn't realize there was censored versions. If you listen to the King of Fighters '98 Original Sound Trax CD, first track, you can hear them saying this very clearly.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
time to find that M1 file and burn it and "repair" mine hahahahaha

According to MAME, that sample is only in the first standard and Korean board set. None of the others listed in MAME have that sample. If someone wants the M1 I'll stick it up someplace.