Supergun PSU question

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
So I'm making a JAMMA supergun because I have a MVS 1-slot Jamma board, and I keep seeing SC200 and SW300 as options for power. When searching for SC-200 I get what looks like a small laptop power supply. Is that what I'm after? And if so, anywhere I can find a wiring diagram for integrating it into my setup? I have an arcade power supply, but it's huge! Any help at all would be fantastic! ^^

SW-300 http://base.google.com/base/a/1297839/D11312536425236862086

SC-200 http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=209136732&listingid=38675044&dcaid=17902

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think a fully enclosed arcade PSU is better all around. You will be limited to what you can play with those PSUs since they only off so much amps on the +5v line and don't have -5v.

Also those links don't have the actual ones we used. The SW300 and SC200 that we speak of were made by Ault and I believe they don't make them anymore.

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
There must be some form of comparable psu out there, I'm sure.

Found a suggestion of this:

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17507+PS

I'm aware it doesn't have -5v, but to my understanding, just a few older games won't have sound.

EDIT: I didn't mean to ignore your advice, I just am concerned with potential heating issues of enclosing the power supply, if you have any suggestions from experience I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you can find one that has at least:

+5v@6A
+12v@1A
-5v@1A

Then you can play a lot of games out there and not have to worry. If you find one that has -12v@1A instead of -5v you can use it, too. You will need to used a voltage converter to change the -12v to -5v, I think it's a 7904 but can't remember exactly.

Also make sure the PSUs don't have a max continuous output that is low. For the specs I posted you will be looking for a PSU that is at least 47 watts.

darkgrue

n00b
If you're not set on have the PS outside the case as a brick, I used a Happ Power Pro 130W in the supergun I just built. I fit my entire build into a single case, which gave me lots of extra space to work with.

IMG_0341.jpg

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
If you're not set on have the PS outside the case as a brick, I used a Happ Power Pro 130W in the supergun I just built. I fit my entire build into a single case, which gave me lots of extra space to work with.

IMG_0341.jpg

That thing looks pretty awesome! What kind of connectors did you use for the power and that nice cable attached to the JAMMA harness?

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher

IMG_0341.jpg

It so clean! As soon as I get paid again I'll be picking one of those up. Any chance of getting measurements of it to see how it compares to my current PSU?

EDIT: Nevermind! I found the measurements right on their site.. What case are you using though? Any chance on a link?

Last edited:

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
I'm going to throw my hat in for recommending putting the power supply inside the supergun as well. They're not really very big (as long as you buy the right kind).

Though you may not be able to make a SUPER tiny supergun with the power supply inside, it's perfect for making the sort of supergun where you can sit a board on top of it. I find that to be a useful feature.

Also, what is the name for that braided wrap for wire harnesses?