Super (VGA) Nintendo

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
While it won't win any beauty contests, check out my simple hackjob featuring the Gonbes 8200...

20140814_150237-1.jpg

In action...

20140814_151124-1.jpg

Even tho the scaler board says it wants 5v 2amps, I'm powering it via USB wall charger (which is 1amp) without any issues.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
1. This isn't Neo Geo related.

2. This should be posted in the Messy Mod Thread :keke:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
why de-case the snes again? When you could have taken a scart cable and hooked it up that way to the scaler?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
goat-whats-the-point_zpsb11fe387.jpg

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
why de-case the snes again? When you could have taken a scart cable and hooked it up that way to the scaler?

Scart splits the sync. IMO, should have just went with the Scart to HDMI adapter. For the same price.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Scart splits the sync. IMO, should have just went with the Scart to HDMI adapter. For the same price.

I've got that scaler, it has the inputs for r,g,b,s

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I've got that scaler, it has the inputs for r,g,b,s

My bad, I was thinking the multiout split the csync into hsync and vsync. which wouldnt have worked with that GBS

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is ghetto fabulous and awesome. Well done.

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
Should rename the thread: Super (Laggy) Nintendo :buttrock:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Looks cool to me, sometimes the process is the most fun part. btw...that Krang body figure in the glass is awesome...does it still have the plastic window and the fork on the head too??? Most of those I see are missing both those parts!

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
broken: hellz yea its ghetto, to the max! Like all my mods no power tools what-so-ever used in its creation. I even removed the screws from the SNES with the melted bic pen trick because fuck fancy bits.

Pasky: I'd love a XRGB mini (HDMI output), but it will be a cold day in hell before I pony up 300$+ for any scaler. This was 29.99$ with free shipping, I think of that as a win.

mr_b: I don't like the idea of SCART cables, this isn't Euro bro we don't use that shit here... 15pin dsub-4-life, America fuck yea!

masamuneGTO: Yup it lags for sure, its hard to know how much is from the scaler and how much if from the display. When I do the auto calibration in Rockband on this TV (LG 47") it reports that my lag is 57ms. Likely alittle from both, but its still better than BSNES on my i7 3770k running at 4.0ghz... and thats just sad.

ahcmetal: Thanks man, I've got a better shot of him here...

20140812_185437-1.jpg

I have the glass belly door, but I removed it because it turned this yellowish cloudy tint/color with age.

This won't fit inside the case, so it sits ontop...

20140812_185449-1.jpg

:D

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I like how everything is just sitting on...a cutting board? lol. Got to love that black and white, taped on Super Nintendo "decal" as well.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Yeah, that's a nice touch with the print out of the Super Nintendo logo.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Now you're playing with power... Ghetto Power!

Everything but the controller port board and my homemade on/off switch/power board is mounted on PCB feet and screwed down. Its not a cutting board, thos are too hard and would require pre-drilling first... Remember no power tools of any kind can be used, thats ghetto mod rule #1. Its actually just a slab of scrap pine, very soft so screws could be hand driven into it with minor effort.

I'm happy with it, as now I have a large screen (47" vs 14") for SNES games with friends. I will pick up another SNES for the 14" PVM, this time I'm going for a mini as they give slightly better video.
Someday at home large scale 3d printing will be a thing, at that point designing and producing repo consoles shells will solve current homemade solutions.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
How could you play anything with that much lag. Gotta be an awful experience no matter how you slice it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Where do I stick my jamma finger board?

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I've been tempted a couple times to de-case an Xbox 360 and mount it for my Naomi Universal. So this is a pretty cool look at the potential for this thing. Rock dat caseless Jassin000!

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
While it won't win any beauty contests, check out my simple hackjob featuring the Gonbes 8200...

View attachment 17704

In action...

View attachment 17705

Even tho the scaler board says it wants 5v 2amps, I'm powering it via USB wall charger (which is 1amp) without any issues.
I thought upscaling is fake, it just makes it look like it's high resolution. But you can't get any more pixels than what was originally programmed in the game.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Joe8: its not about the resolution... This LCD only accepts HDMI/component/VGA connections in 31hz. I'm tapping the RGBs from the board (which is 320x240@15khz) and scaling/converting it to 640x480@31hz VGA. The resolution is simply doubled, so of course no more detail is created or enhanced.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Joe8: its not about the resolution... This LCD only accepts HDMI/component/VGA connections in 31hz. I'm tapping the RGBs from the board (which is 320x240@15khz) and scaling/converting it to 640x480@31hz VGA. The resolution is simply doubled, so of course no more detail is created or enhanced.
Isn't the SNES better with scan lines? Aren't there ways of converting it to 31khz, but keeping the low res (320x240p)?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Too bad this converter sucks terribly, especially without a scan line generator. I cringed at all the artifacts. My HDTV handles 240p signals better than these turds do. I tried one of these things with my SNES about a month ago, the amount of artifacts from it processing 240p as 480i were horrendous.

What I don't understand is why set it up like this and not just build the encoder board into a project box or its own separate board. Why bastardize a 1-Chip by removing it from its shell? If it is a matter of not having a shell for it there are thousands of broken SNES consoles out there that you can use to restore this much rarer system revision.