Super Nova Joystick questions

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Ok, Im planning on building some Super Nova stick to USB adaptors with these shitty PSX style PC pads I got from EB a while back. The D-Pad broke (the plastic part, not the electronics) so Im just taking them apart so I can wire them for an adaptor.

I need to know the pin-out of the sticks and what kind of plug I need to get at radio shack to make this thing.

Thats about all for now.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, just opening the stick and doing some continuity tests with a multimeter you should be able to determine the pin-out. About the kind of plug, if I remember well the MAS supernova sticks use a DB25, the same connector of computers old parallel port.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Here's a MAS Supernova pinout I made a while back. Hope this helps. This picture is pinouts from the front of the unit itself, not inside. You should be able to figure out the joytick pins from it. You might need to double check the button 4 (the D button) Another member said his D button used a differnet pin than mine.

MASsupernovajoystickpins.jpg

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
controller.jpg

Well first, how do you connect a wire to the female db25? Solder it?

(The setup is just like a PSX on there,minus the Start and Select buttons).

1 = Up
2 = Down
3 = Left
4 = Right
5 = Square (1)
6 = Triangle (2)
7 = R1 (3)
8 = X (4)
14 = O (5)
15 = R2 (6)
16 = GND (How would I ground this thing anyway?)
17 = L1 (Start)
18 = L2 (Coin)
19 = +5 VDC (I doont need this pin from what Ive read, only Ultimates use it since they are optical?)

Hope thats right. (not that it matters since im using this on emulators anyway)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, yes, you can buy just the connector and then solder each wire to the corresponding pin. Another possibility is to buy a cable that already has the DB25 wired (like any old printer cable), cut it in half so you have all the wires, and then using a multimeter you determine the pin-out. Then you solder those wires directly to the pad pcb, and in the other end you already have the DB25 ready.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
How much will it cost to have 4 PS2 Controllers
converted or can adaptor's be made and how
much will it cost me?. :confused: :cool:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Doesn't Mass sale the Adaptor that your are wanting to make? :spock:

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I think so. I'll have to check there again just
to be sure. I would like to get different adaptor's
for like, PS2, GC or Joysticks that aren't heavy for
me because I can't pick up heavy stuff & I don't have
the strength. Being disabled really sucks. :( :)
My Neo Geo New Style Joystick is really light
and so much easier for me but I need some
controllers & Joysticks with 6-bottons to play
on the Super Nova System in case I want to
play games like Super Street Fighter II Turbo etc. :kekeke:

I like to play all kinds of Arcade games with 4&6 buttons. :)

:help:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Have you tried any Japanese sticks yet? They are not as heavy, and they hold up just as well.
svc_chaos_stick_shop.jpg
capcom_real.jpg

fight_stick_ex.jpg

Robert

20 Year Member
Having played the GG PS2 arcade stick on shooters and fighting games, I found it good and not so heavy. Control is good and buttons are OK.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
neo_X7 said:
Doesn't Mass sale the Adaptor that your are wanting to make? :spock:

What he wants is to use regular console pads in the supergun, not MAS arcade sticks in the regular consoles. The adaptor MAS sells is for the second thing.

He needs to have some light pad modded for supergun usage, it shouldn't cost more than 10$ to have it done by somebody here. Or an adaptor built for using AES controllers in the supergun, really easy and cheap to make.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Amano Jacu said:
What he wants is to use regular console pads in the supergun, not MAS arcade sticks in the regular consoles. The adaptor MAS sells is for the second thing.

He needs to have some light pad modded for supergun usage, it shouldn't cost more than 10$ to have it done by somebody here. Or an adaptor built for using AES controllers in the supergun, really easy and cheap to make.

I was talking to the guy who started the thread, :tickled: but Boogbutt though that I was talking to him. So I replied back to him. ;)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Sorry, when somebody replies without a quote I assume he is talking to the previous poster ;)
I'm not sure if MAS sells that adaptor, and still I'm sure it would be much chaper to build your own, plus it's a way to practice this stuff.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Nice! Joysticks. ;) I wonder if D-Lite could make
the controllers or Joysticks to play on the Super Nova
that I am saving up the money starting in March
& I'll have the money in May so I can buy the the
Super Nova Arcade System from Mas Systems.
I'll have to save up even more money starting
in June until Oct. to buy the Atomiswave
Motherboard Kit .w/ Dolphin Blue

Thank You everyone for the info. ;) :kekeke:

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Well, yes, you can buy just the connector and then solder each wire to the corresponding pin. Another possibility is to buy a cable that already has the DB25 wired (like any old printer cable), cut it in half so you have all the wires, and then using a multimeter you determine the pin-out. Then you solder those wires directly to the pad pcb, and in the other end you already have the DB25 ready.

I didnt think of that, that would save a hell of a lot of work and time (not to mention money).

Ill go to radio shack tommorow and pick one up. Do you know if they make printer cables that have female on both ends? That way I could just cut it in half since Im making two of these.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
iam current doing the same project...(i found some arcade cabinet's.. and i brought them and took the entire control panel(eightway/6button) it's attach to the jamma harness) right now iam thinking of cutting a ps2 controller(using the connection part to make a damn decent ps2 joystick for my fighter's on the ps2) and ...IS IT GOING TO WORK ?? I AM CLUELESS ABOUT THE WIRING :blow_top:
will the ps2 povide enough power for the controll panel to work properly ??
please help thanks

Last edited:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Amano Jacu said:
Sorry, when somebody replies without a quote I assume he is talking to the previous poster ;)
I'm not sure if MAS sells that adaptor, and still I'm sure it would be much chaper to build your own, plus it's a way to practice this stuff.

Hell it doesn’t matter, there is worse things in this world to worry about like, world hunger. :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Nesagwa said:
I didnt think of that, that would save a hell of a lot of work and time (not to mention money).

Ill go to radio shack tommorow and pick one up. Do you know if they make printer cables that have female on both ends? That way I could just cut it in half since Im making two of these.

Is Radio Shack the only store for electronics in North America? I saw some in USA and Canada and they sucked big time. I would try something else.

Well, most DB25 cables I've seen are actually male-male, as in motherboards the parallel port is always female. You should ask. Anyway you can also buy gender changers and that's all.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Is Radio Shack the only store for electronics in North America? I saw some in USA and Canada and they sucked big time. I would try something else.

Well, most DB25 cables I've seen are actually male-male, as in motherboards the parallel port is always female. You should ask. Anyway you can also buy gender changers and that's all.

Yeah Radio Shack is the only electronics store we have in town here. Not many of that kind of thing around here.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Yeah Radio Shack is the only electronics store we have in town here. Not many of that kind of thing around here.
why don't you just go to a goodwill/or thriftstore to pick some(cable's) up.. it's dirt cheap

also for the ps controller picture..what brand of controller is that...sony..or them third party one's ?? i need one just like the one you posted ( large exposed solder area)

Last edited: