Super Neo Geo 29 Power Supply

armi0024

n00b
I just picked up 6 of these cabinets, and was going to restore them. Does anyone know where I can find rebuild info or drop in replacements.

Cray

n00b
You can find tons of arcade switching power supply's on ebay.
Or use computer power supplies.

The old school power supplies that are in mis pacman:
- it could be the ac filter. Small box where you voltage comes in.
- If its the transformer, not worth repairing.

* clean it
* Check fuses ;) ( If your fuse keeps blowing, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it.)
* check dead solder joints
* you can try and replacing the capacitors that are leaking or round on the top. (if its not fixed then i'm not sure it's worth further repairing.)
* If something is burned or smelling -> dead.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Been following your haul on SRK, have fun with the overhaul process!

You might try surfing around Yahoo Auctions Japan.. theres a lot of useful arcade stuff passing through there, if you're willing to deal with shipping and proxy fees.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Haha is that mr paradise arcade I see? Hey bud. I recommend just going over them. If the PSU's aren't working, check the fuse. If that checks out for continuity.. Barring that, then its time to check your +5 and +12 volts. Should be red or yellow wires. Adjust those to spec if possible..Check for bad/cold/dry solder joints, or blown capacitors. Unhook the cables, open em up, get to that boards and reflow if it needs it. I actually would do anything in your power to avoid having to install a switching PSU in there and having really ugly guts. Those supplies are all cabled, and it looks good when maintained. I've restored a Super Neo 29 Candy' and Super Neo 29 Type II. I have a basic video repair up on youtube here. I actually made footage for my latest rebuild of the one I got with a bad chassis that is working now, but my laptop is on the fritz.

http://youtu.be/rcTly68xWcg

Also: Burned or smelling does not indicate dead, it means some components need to be replaced or something got fried. It is repairable.. Use a multimeter to check. These supplies are WORTH fixing because they are proprietary to the machine and keep them clean. I repaired a machine for someone who had fuses constantly blowing on the chassis, turned out to be a bad Horizontal Output Transistor, replaced that and it fired right up.

Last edited:

Cray

n00b
Also: Burned or smelling does not indicate dead, it means some components need to be replaced or something got fried. It is repairable.. Use a multimeter to check. These supplies are WORTH fixing because they are proprietary to the machine and keep them clean. I repaired a machine for someone who had fuses constantly blowing on the chassis, turned out to be a bad Horizontal Output Transistor, replaced that and it fired right up.

Ho! Good to know ty. This might fix 1 or 2 dead psu's here

Jamesv833

n00b
I just purchased a super neo 29 candy and was hoping somebody can help me with schematics for the monitor(gmk-29fs3), it looks like I have a diode that's blown and the pcb around it is brown(normally green).