Summon Night Swordcraft Story GBA

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
If you like RPGs do yourself a favor and go pick this game up! I want to see all the Summon Night games get localized [1 and 2 are for sure, 3 looks awesome but I am sure sales of the first 2 will determine whether it makes it here or not] so go support it and buy it!

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Seriously though, I am loving this game. The battles are beat-em-up style and are realtime. Kinda' like tales of phantasia. The music on the first one isn't the best, but it gets better as the series goes on. [I.E. buy the game so the series continues!] Anyway, thats my rant....good game....go get it.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
If you like RPGs do yourself a favor and go pick this game up! I want to see all the Summon Night games get localized [1 and 2 are for sure, 3 looks awesome but I am sure sales of the first 2 will determine whether it makes it here or not] so go support it and buy it!

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Seriously though, I am loving this game. The battles are beat-em-up style and are realtime. Kinda' like tales of phantasia. The music on the first one isn't the best, but it gets better as the series goes on. [I.E. buy the game so the series continues!] Anyway, thats my rant....good game....go get it.

I picked it up yesterday at EB but have not had time to play it. I have heard that it is very good but short. (Which is good for me)

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
I picked it up yesterday at EB but have not had time to play it. I have heard that it is very good but short. (Which is good for me)

I haven't heard its short...but that would be a good thing for me as well. I don't have 20-30 hours to blow on it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The review in Game Informer said it has a lot of similarities to Chrono Trigger.

True? False?

edit: just looked at Gamestop.com, PJ, and the sequel is due out in the U.S. in October. So it appears your wishes are granted.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
jro said:
The review in Game Informer said it has a lot of similarities to Chrono Trigger.

True? False?

edit: just looked at Gamestop.com, PJ, and the sequel is due out in the U.S. in October. So it appears your wishes are granted.

Yeah, i mentioned that part 2 is a given....its 3 I am really hoping for.

As far as Chrono Trigger. Battles are not anything like it. But I think the graphics and "vibe" have a similar flavor. Mainly the main port town in the beginning and the tower where the tournament takes place gave me that thought when I first played it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
Yeah, i mentioned that part 2 is a given....its 3 I am really hoping for.

As far as Chrono Trigger. Battles are not anything like it. But I think the graphics and "vibe" have a similar flavor. Mainly the main port town in the beginning and the tower where the tournament takes place gave me that thought when I first played it.
My bad, I totally spaced that as I wrote that response. :emb:

I'll have to look for this at Gamestop tomorrow, sounds like a good pickup.

It's pretty amazing how the GBA still gets decent 3rd party support after all this time.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I downloaded it, it sucks cocks, far too slow, battles are way too hard etc. longwinded talk bullshit. Def not my cup of tea.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Dreamer said:
I downloaded it, it sucks cocks, far too slow, battles are way too hard etc. longwinded talk bullshit. Def not my cup of tea.

thank you for adding that eloquent opinion to the mix.

A. All RPGs are probably "slow" to you

B. Battles are GREAT, just the right amount of hard once you start forging weapons and using your guardian beast.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
thank you for adding that eloquent opinion to the mix.

A. All RPGs are probably "slow" to you

B. Battles are GREAT, just the right amount of hard once you start forging weapons and using your guardian beast.

No, I just hate wacking enemies for 100 times before they die.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Dreamer said:
No, I just hate wacking enemies for 100 times before they die.

Thats most RPGs.

Some boss battles take FOREVER in some of 'em.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
Thats most RPGs.

Some boss battles take FOREVER in some of 'em.
I seem to remember the one boss fight in Xenosaga Ep. 1 where Shion and Jr. have to both "kill" it taking somewhere around 15 minutes, for example. And it was awesome.

The three-on-three boss fight in Baten Kaitos takes 20 minutes, at least. Cool, too, but also hard as hell.

And then there's Emerald Weapon, where it takes every last second of the countdown to actually kill the thing.

All of which make the games they're in better, I'd argue.

On topic, I picked up SNSS the other day. Pretty interesting once you get into it a bit. Beating Chaves was a good challenge, took me a few tries before I was able to break his weapon before mine broke. I like the battles, too; controls respond nicely. Also, the dialogue is sharp. Trying to balance the main character's attention between his (I'm playing a guy) guardian and Sanary is an interesting challenge.

Supposedly the guardian beasts can have wildly varying personalities. Mine is friendly most of the time, but it punches my guy in the face seemingly at random, which makes my character afraid of making it mad.

Similarities, differences, pixeljunkie?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
jro said:
Supposedly the guardian beasts can have wildly varying personalities. Mine is friendly most of the time, but it punches my guy in the face seemingly at random, which makes my character afraid of making it mad.

Similarities, differences, pixeljunkie?

seriously? I didn't know that! Mine is totally cool with me. I picked the Cleru guy as my character and my GB is kind of rude to people they talk to [Master dude, and the tournament leader guy] But he's usually pretty quiet/respectful to me. Thats awesome. I hope it is kinda' short as I want to play through as the chick character as well.

I'm about 6 hours into it. Diggin' it.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I've been thinking about getting this one. I'm also thinking about Super Robot Taisian. I heard it was really text heavy though. I've been looking for a good RPG lately, and this one might be it. I love Atlus.:buttrock:

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Weevus said:
I've been thinking about getting this one. I'm also thinking about Super Robot Taisian. I heard it was really text heavy though. I've been looking for a good RPG lately, and this one might be it. I love Atlus.:buttrock:

I have been thinking about Super Robot Taisian as well. However, I need to play this game and about 20 others first.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
seriously? I didn't know that! Mine is totally cool with me. I picked the Cleru guy as my character and my GB is kind of rude to people they talk to [Master dude, and the tournament leader guy] But he's usually pretty quiet/respectful to me. Thats awesome. I hope it is kinda' short as I want to play through as the chick character as well.

I'm about 6 hours into it. Diggin' it.
Yep, totally serious. Anytime Cleru says anything that my GB (named "Kutty," is that randomly generated or is it a set thing?) even remotely disagrees with, bam, he punches Cleru in the face. That leads to some interesting conversations:

"We have some time to kill before the first round of the tournament. Want to go to the pier? That doesn't make you want to hit me, does it?"

It's like an abusive marriage or something. It's pretty funny, really.

Oh, and Kutty is completely polite and nice to everyone else, pretty shy, even. But he's more than happy to hit Cleru in the face whenever.

starman

Armored Scrum Object
Well, I was playing with Pratty (the girl) and my gaurdian beast is Sugar. Lesbianism runs wild to say the least. Classic lines include:

Sugar:- You can be my wife! Give me a kiss
Pratty:- Er...
Sugar:- What, are you saying you don't like me?
Pratty:- No, I mean, Er.. I kiss other girls all the time?
Me:-
1146671471060iv5.jpg

Although the dialouge is pretty sharp and witty, I can't help but notice how average this game is. The graphics are pretty first generation GBA, and all the battles seemed forced. I didn't have much of an incentive to forge swords past the novice knife till I started to do literally 1 hp damage to badguys.. and then again, I only forged them mainly because I don't feel like wacking a slime ball, then running back to dodge, then doing it again 500 times. Also, don't get me started on how artificially grinding that labrynith seems--its as if the developers said "you know, fuck it, let's extend the game by 4 hours just by forcing them to run through this grind fest".

All the above said, it still, it plays ALOT better than any of the Tales games, and I'm having a enjoyable time just messing around with the characters. Pressing <select> to talk with Sugar is a neat touch--makes me wonder why other RPGs can't have your characters shoot the shit when you're just bumming on the world map or something. Although, one thing I'm confused about--is Razzy a boy or a girl? Apparently Sugar calls her a girl, but Pratty said its a boy, and I'm sensing a trap here. The fact that she seems to adore Pratty obsessively doesn't help... maybe more lesbians? The develepors sure had a winning strategy here: "if it doesn't work, throw lesbians at it".

:chimp::chimp::chimp:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
jro said:
Yep, totally serious. Anytime Cleru says anything that my GB (named "Kutty," is that randomly generated or is it a set thing?) even remotely disagrees with, bam, he punches Cleru in the face. That leads to some interesting conversations:

"We have some time to kill before the first round of the tournament. Want to go to the pier? That doesn't make you want to hit me, does it?"

It's like an abusive marriage or something. It's pretty funny, really.

Oh, and Kutty is completely polite and nice to everyone else, pretty shy, even. But he's more than happy to hit Cleru in the face whenever.

i guess GB assigment is random?! I have Rasho and he's cool. Apparently was Cleru's father's GB. [unless all GB's were Cleru's father's in the storyline???]

I agree that a lot of the game is somewhat average. But I LOVE the battles and the boss animation/gfx are pretty damn impressive. The music has some good spots and some of the dungeon areas look pretty nice.

I will say the sequels improve in those categories pretty well. [gfx/sound]

Also the press the select thing, as you said, is cool. Perfect for not forgetting what to do next. Reminds me of the help feature in Atelier Iris

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
i guess GB assigment is random?! I have Rasho and he's cool. Apparently was Cleru's father's GB. [unless all GB's were Cleru's father's in the storyline???]

I agree that a lot of the game is somewhat average. But I LOVE the battle's and the boss animation/gfx are pretty damn impressive. The music has some good spots and some of the dungeon areas look pretty nice.

I will say the sequels improve in those categories pretty well. [gfx/sound]

Also the press the select thing, as you said, is cool. Perfect for not forgetting what to do next. Reminds me of the help feature in Atelier Iris
I think it automatically makes the main character's GB also be Cleru/Pratty's father's GB. That's what they said about Kutty in mine, and I bet Starman's was the same.

I knew I should have played the girl; there has been a disturbing lack of lesbianism in videogames ever since the Fear Effect series disappeared.

The Game Informer review mentioned that they got one GB that wanted to make out all the time (quite possibly the same lesbian-like one Starman got), and another one that always tries to convince Cleru to "go on a rampage." I'd like to get that one, assuming he's basically genocidal.

Kind of a cool way to add some replay value.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
jro said:
I think it automatically makes the main character's GB also be Cleru/Pratty's father's GB. That's what they said about Kutty in mine, and I bet Starman's was the same.

I knew I should have played the girl; there has been a disturbing lack of lesbianism in videogames ever since the Fear Effect series disappeared.

The Game Informer review mentioned that they got one GB that wanted to make out all the time (quite possibly the same lesbian-like one Starman got), and another one that always tries to convince Cleru to "go on a rampage." I'd like to get that one, assuming he's basically genocidal.

Kind of a cool way to add some replay value.

Is the story for Pratty the same? Her father died/missing 3 years ago, etc.???

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
Is the story for Pratty the same? Her father died/missing 3 years ago, etc.???
From what I could tell by reading her description in the manual and various snippets here and there in reviews, it sounds like her story is basically the same, yes, though I think there must be different supporting characters and such.

I would assume each character has a different set of available GB's, too, maybe?