Streets of Rage Fan remake

Biohazard53

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Fan remake 8 years in the making pulled from destructoid.com

http://www.destructoid.com/streets-of-rage-fan-remake-released-after-8-years-198019.phtml

http://kotaku.com/#!5788709/eight-y...ve-streets-of-rage-remake-is-finally-finished

Bombergames.net has finally released the fan remake of Streets of Rage. What started as a small fan project on March 17th, 2003, has resulted in a massive unofficial remake of the classic beat 'em up which should leave fans foaming at the mouth.

After 8 years of work, the Streets of Rage Remake now features a grand total of 103 stages. Characters from Streets of Rage 1-3 have received new moves, the Streets of Rage characters have been remastered, and new playable characters were added. All enemies from SOR1 have been remastered as well, enemies from SOR2 and SOR3 have received RGB color correction, and new enemies have been added -- based on the Game Gear versions and the cover of the game!

There's also a ton of additional content like cheats, editors, customizable options and... a volleyball mode. I hope they shout BARE KNUCKLE when they hit the ball. SEGA is aware of the project's existence, and hopefully they won't raise any issue with it now that it's finally been released.

Grab the 218MB free download from here. If you like it, you should probably Paypal the guys a few bucks for their hard work as well.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Dam! This is a great thing. Dl'ing right now also.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
103 levels of BmUing doesn't sound that fun to me.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
103 levels. That's not consecutive, right?

Because at that point it becomes less about survival and more about role playing. There were 3 games for a reason.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Played this a bit last night. You are given a map screen when you start a game and you can select a route to play through. The one I chose was pretty much the stage set from Streets of Rage 1, so eight stages total before you get to the end credits. Maybe there will be more routes to open over time, but no, you aren't playing through a crap-load of stages at once.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
After seeing those videos and starting the download, the biggest question I have right now is just how much money I'm gonna donate to these guys. It's been years since I've played a good beat-'em-up (Dynamite Cop, maybe?) and this is something we all know we wouldn't have gotten from an official source.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Got my PS3 controller working with the game now.
The game is so awesome!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Now if they can just fit this into a Genesis cart, I'd be all over it. Using a 56K modem to dl 218 MB just isn't practical.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i'll give this a go, gotta break out the old PC controller. i could use a game to play for a little bit. nothing like an old school beat em up.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Game is awesome. I've only played through 4 stages, but so far I its all good. I loved using Adam in SOR1. They did him justice in the remake although I think they could have made him a little faster, like Axel SOR3 fast. The little details are what make the game special, like the explosions, blood, bodies that chop in half with the katana, the splashing water when you knock your enemies into the water. They did a great job in combining all 3 games into 1. :buttrock:

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Game is awesome. I've only played through 4 stages, but so far I its all good. I loved using Adam in SOR1. They did him justice in the remake although I think they could have made him a little faster, like Axel SOR3 fast. The little details are what make the game special, like the explosions, blood, bodies that chop in half with the katana, the splashing water when you knock your enemies into the water. They did a great job in combining all 3 games into 1. :buttrock:

All of those details are great.

Another thing I noticed which was pretty cool was that midway through the first level, the camera pans up to reveal the bandana sporting sniper from the box art of the original game who gleefully begins taking pot shots at you.

Little things like that really show that this project was a labor of love made by real fans of the series.

Another thing I'll add is that the difficulty has really been pumped up compared to the original games. Fighting a group of about a dozen martial artists in stage 5 (if you choose to go to the boat stage from SOR1), followed by The Ultimate Warrior, a few more wannabe karate champs, then the dreaded Blaze clones was a real challenge. Even on normal difficulty this game is twice as frenzied as the original games.

Another thing I really enjoy is the well drawn storyboard segments that flesh out the plot between stages. They look good and while are by no means a necessity, they definitely add to the overall package.

I've always been a huge fan of the series, and this fan made rebirth is the biggest gaming treat I've experienced this year. :buttrock:

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
About the 103 stages: they're not full-blown levels, just sections of the level. Not consecutive, as there are eight main levels with different paths and so forth.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
The little arcade you get to smash on stage 3 = noyce! Great genny atmosphere makes this better than most newer games IMO

Castor Troy

Quick question: What does the "Series" button do?
Looked around, but found no answers. Thanks.

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
I'm in love with this game. Building up towards character's star moves is cool, since they kick ass for a couple characters (Adam and Zan, especially).

Quick question: What does the "Series" button do?
Looked around, but found no answers. Thanks.

It looks like it does exactly what holding down the attack button in SoR2 did, which throws out the final attack of your normal combo as a single move. This comes in hand here, too, since it lets you throw out a normal attack while holding a weapon. Kind of hand for characters that have slow weapon attacks and have an enemy rush up on them real quick.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Wow. Can't believe this is fan made. The music, graphics and feel are really good. I played through the first two levels. I have a few friends that are big SoR fans. Can't wait to show them this game.

Castor Troy

It looks like it does exactly what holding down the attack button in SoR2 did, which throws out the final attack of your normal combo as a single move. This comes in hand here, too, since it lets you throw out a normal attack while holding a weapon. Kind of hand for characters that have slow weapon attacks and have an enemy rush up on them real quick.

Nice. I could be wrong, but I also read that it let's you switch between SoR modes when it comes to certain characters (not 100% sure).

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
Wow. Can't believe this is fan made. The music, graphics and feel are really good. I played through the first two levels. I have a few friends that are big SoR fans. Can't wait to show them this game.

For real. The music is really, really good and all the graphical touches are neat.

Nice. I could be wrong, but I also read that it let's you switch between SoR modes when it comes to certain characters (not 100% sure).

Yeah, the manual that comes with the RAR package explains some stuff, but not as much as I would like. Though, reading through it at least taught me how to use the options menu to tweak the in-game settings. It's cool that you can alter how things like weapons (whether or not you drop them, if they have limited uses, etc.), jumping and combos to be able to customize how the game is played.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
It came out really nice. I still have the first version they released a few years ago and didn't really scratch the surface, mostly because I didn't have a good joystick at the time. I'm really going to sit down and give this a full playthough. I was running through with Adam and Skate before. I'm glad they have Ash (The gay guy) in the club in the first stage.

One question, how's the ports on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection? For some reason I skipped the third game and since finding a copy is really nuts I thought about getting the collection since it also has a lot of other great games on it. Also, I take it you can't play all the games in co-op over XBLA, right? That'd be a killer deal if you could get some Golden Axe and Alien Syndrome online.