Street Fighter V Champion Edition

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Street Fighter V is actually a really good game. Those who shit talk it simply haven't played it in its current form. It takes Capcom 3-5 tries to get something right and this game is no exception. You just didn't have to buy multiple versions of the game.

Also Smash Bros is an awful game made for booger eaters and folks who don't wash.

I'm not going to disagree. I'm a SF fanboy at heart, always have been. Just felt like a sucker purchasing it on steam for full price and essentially getting a alpha not even beta version of the game. Thought they would at least hook up the people who paid full price with a season pass getting the future characters and stages. They want to nickle and dime people for colors and costumes, whatever that's fine.

Being the sucker that I am I went ahead and purchased CE upgrade it is a good fighting game. I never thought the game was ugly or didn't feel like SF. It was just incomplete.

Smash Bros lol. It makes money because it's a Nintendo game. That's it. Don't know why it's even mentioned among real fighting games. It's more like a knock out game.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
When Tekken 8 comes out, they're not going to strip away all the features from Tekken 7 and then slowly add them back over the course of several years.

Lots of fighting games do the iteration thing but not when they move from one whole release to the next.

NetherRealm did "ultimate editions" of Mortal Kombat 9, Injustice, Mortal Kombat 10, and Injustice 2. But when vanilla Injustice came out, it was feature-comparable to Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9.

Capcom is the only one that removed basic features from the vanilla release of V. How many years did it take for them to put arcade mode into their 1 on 1 fighting game?

They didnt remove anything. They shipped it without arcade mode, people cried and they added it back.

MK requires purchases to get a full roster and 11 is a microtransaction fuck fest. Also, Boon tweaks the game to the point that he ruins versus every fucking time.

@razo sure but keep in mind that you've probably bought at least two versions of SF3 for $40 a pop or more bitd. Even if you paid full price for SFV vanilla, you didn't have to buy anything else to get it to where the game is right now if you played it alot, outside of costumes. Let's face it, buying costumes is for chumps.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Smash Bros Ultimate: 16 million sold
Mortal Kombat X: 11 million sold
Dragon Ball XV2: 5.5 million sold
Tekken 7: 5 million sold

Street Fighter II: 15 million sold
Street Fighter IV: 9.4 million sold
Street Fighter V: 3.9 million sold

Street Fighter got their lunch eaten this generation.

When you limit the platforms the game releases on compared to its predecessors yeah this makes sense.

The game also looked god awful at launch, and isn’t as fun to play as 4 (which is saying something).

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows sales figures have no bearing on quality. Also Smash Bros is a $60 test for autism, not a fighting game.

Looks like Capcom is releasing a patch/fix for the netcode next week. Obviously they had their hand forced by the PC mods but if their fix is anything close, it will have among the best netplay of any game this generation (easily better than Tekken 7, any of the ArcSys games or NRS games). Only Killer Instinct would be comparable.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Was only able to play one season of SFV, just like i did w/ SFIV. Was not very popular in my FGC scene here but heard the new release is actually pretty good. Its too late for me though, ill just wait on SF6.

Right now my focus will probably be GranBlue. It was surprisingly good, competitive and fun. Was able to play it last Friday. Looks like an anime but plays nothing like it...Very nice footsie like SF/KOF...Very easy to pick up and play.
86279079_488698951791335_6189396229743443968_n.jpg

100proof

10 Year Member
Yeah Granblue's good shit. Much more like SF than a traditional anime game. There's already some dirty mixups out there for Ferry, Charlotta and Lancelot and you can do some ST-level damage in the corner.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Smash Bros lol. It makes money because it's a Nintendo game. That's it. Don't know why it's even mentioned among real fighting games. It's more like a knock out game.

I played Smash Bros on the 64 because everyone kinda did, it was new. How it's still going in 2020? I have no fucking idea.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The Steam listing starts with the blurb "Rule the ring with Street Fighter™ V: Champion Edition".

Did no one read that back after typing it? The game is literally called "STREET Fighter". Who decided to start their pitch with "rule the RING"?

:annoyed:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows sales figures have no bearing on quality. Also Smash Bros is a $60 test for autism, not a fighting game.

Greater truth has never been spoken. That said, even Sakurai has said he doesn't consider Smash a fighting game. He considers it more of a 'celebration of video games', and I think he's right. One only need see the unbelievable tribute paid to Castlevania or the insane Terry Bogard intro video to know how important it is to him that nostalgia be an integral part of the experience. It's for this reason, his unbridled passion for games and his desire to manifest that in Smash that I became a fan once they started bringing in characters from other franchises. The series is now like an interactive museum to me and that is the value it has for someone like myself, who is an aging gamer that remembers 'better' times.

Also, +1 for Granblue Fantasy Versus. I have never played the mobile game (and I'm unlikely to) but I absolutely love the art direction of that IP. I love the character designs, the costumes, the weapons and airships. I love how undaunted the visuals are despite all the 'weeb' heavy influences on its overall look. I've been watching vids of GFV ever since Maximilian Dood started showcasing it on his YT channel and it looks like a lot of fun. I already have the LE pre-reserved and can't wait to dive in. I'm so in love with the aesthetic of this series that I even own 8 art books despite knowing almost nothing about the concept. I've watched the first season of the anime and it was the most trite, saccharine shit I've watched in a while but man, was it pretty.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Unpopular opinion: I pretty much prefer the incremental additions to the base game over time (whether it's DLC or new editions) over having sequels that partially replace the contents of their predecessors (ie: SFA series, SF3 series).

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I went ahead and got the Upgrade Kit. I bought the original stand alone for like $10 when it was on sale for $20, and I had a $10 credit. I don't play it online, mainly because I suck. But I wanted to be able to play as the other characters without grinding for 43000 years. So it cost me $35. Not too bad.

I just wish they'd figure out a way that the game could update itself before I boot the game, wait through the minute long loading screen only to see "update 4.39o23842348293482b download started.. some (most) of the features on this game will be unavailable until this shit is done."

I mean, other games can download updates in sleep mode and update themselves. Why cant SFV. Fuck.

Now I think I just talked myself out of buying that upgrade kit, but it's too late.

100proof

10 Year Member
I mean, other games can download updates in sleep mode and update themselves. Why cant SFV. Fuck.

The updates they run at the title screen are different than the ones downloaded locally on to your HD by PSN. It's a shitty side effect of the way they handled network crossplay (PC and PS4 players being able to play each other). The good news, I guess, is that there won't be many more of those now that the game is pretty much done.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I suck at a SFV between a 800-1000lp player lol but having a blast online. For the most part the online matches I had were pretty solid no issues. Once and awhile I'll run into someone who has a potato connection. Probably still rocking the 56k.

HDR is another one I enjoy playing on the switch but the online play is broken as fug.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Looks like Capcom is releasing a patch/fix for the netcode next week. Obviously they had their hand forced by the PC mods but if their fix is anything close, it will have among the best netplay of any game this generation (easily better than Tekken 7, any of the ArcSys games or NRS games). Only Killer Instinct would be comparable.
I heard Capcom's netcode patch didn't help their netcode any, but was designed to block the fan netcode patch.

100proof

10 Year Member
I heard Capcom's netcode patch didn't help their netcode any, but was designed to block the fan netcode patch.

That was the initial overreaction but it turns out they mimicked a lot of the work from the original fan patch (fixing the biggest problem which was the desync). It's better than it was before but it's still not as good as it should be/the second fan patch.

Last edited: