Strange Cyber Lip US Sticker

waku7

Dodgeball Yakuza
Hi,
I just sold to a collector a Cyber Lip with a sticker with has a look of a printed thing. Since our " view" on items changed with the time, and arrival of fakes etc, I
I had this game since maybe 15 years, and moreover, I asked a collector from France who told me on his one, it was the same.

Can someone help me with this case ? Does it occur for some copies too ?
thanks

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
got a pic? that would be a pretty great help.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Hi,
I just sold to a collector a Cyber Lip with a sticker with has a look of a printed thing.

Do you mean the sticker looks as if it wasn't offset printed, like the real labels are?

If so, well sometimes SNK's print quality isn't the best, especially as the ink and paper age and sometimes degrade differently. My US AES Fatal Fury's cart label in particular hasn't aged well over the years. Also, I have an English AES Ghost Pilots cart with a peeling label...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Most of my early English mvs carts have a label like that, a few examples are: Magician Lord, Cyber-Lip, Ninja Combat, Sengoku.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Cyber Lip is not really a title worth duplicating. I do not see a reason someone would make a fake. Unless the original label was damaged.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Here's a close-up of the label in question:
CL_Tex1.jpg

In all the white sections, there are visible "whiskers" of protruding paper fibers.

The label also has a matte finish.

...And a white "halo" around darkly printed areas

...And jagged corners which, IMO, look like they were hand-cut

If you look very closely, you can also see a light gray trim guide bordering the edges.

Can anyone confirm that SNK released some carts with such labeling?

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
While Cyber Lip was referred to as "the poor man's metal slug" for several years, and as such was slightly more desirable among the first generation cartridges then the others for a while during that time, I have to agree that there just isn't any real money in bootlegging them. What you most likely have there is a homemade scan or photocopy printed label slapped on there by a previous owner (or perhaps even an authentic label that suffered some water damage in the past). But as far as the game itself, I would highly doubt that it is a bootleg cartridge. Again, simply no money in that. And even if it is, does it matter?! What did you pay for it? $50? Just buy another one and sell that one to some other buyer on ebay or something and get half your money back! Pay it forward.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Without focusing on the exact amount spent, I hope it's reasonable to assume some sympathy for the "homebrew-ish" cart label, which I seem to have been allowed to discover.
If you weren't just joking about the $50 price, please direct me to one at that amount. I'd gladly buy a second and re-list this one with the details I wasn't afforded. :/

As a side note, I'm giving Waku the benefit of all my doubt. He started this thread as soon as I voiced my concerns, and I hope the more seasoned NGH cart buyers can enlighten us further.

I think my opinion is pretty clear on it, but I've been wrong before...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If he had this game for 15 years it's possible he got a boot/conversion or just a reprinted label. Most likely inkjet, since it isn't a die cut sticker the corners had to be cut by hand.

Only way to know for sure is to open it. Could be a simple case of JP game turned into a different region.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Yep, open the cart. The label is quite obviously not as it should be...

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks for the input guys. Waku was way ahead of me on starting this thread and even offering a compromise before I asked, so he's certainly alright in my book.
Someone probably did just do a "region conversion" (as it were) like Xian said. So, I'll just keep my eyes open for a cart upgrade in the future.