Stock Neo geo Power supply question? How to tell what wire is 12v or 5v etc..

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi there,

I am working on my Neo Geo MVS and I wanted to know which cable does what on my PSU. (Like which cable is 12v, 5v etc...)

This is the PSU I have:
http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=152

How do I tell which cable is feeding which voltage etc..?

Do you know which meter setting would work on a multi-meter?

Thanks so much,
I am a bit lost... :(

Tengugurl

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
The spec sheet of your psu will tell you. On your multimeter the "volt" setting is what you need it on. Chances are the red wire is the 5v. Black is ground, green is earth, yellow 12v. But check with a multimeter.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Does your multi meter not provide instruction? did you not google anything? Incredible!

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
I got my multi-meter from my dead dad.... yeah so.. *Messing :P

Okay, its some bootleg mutli-meter and I cannot find documentation on it but I am happy to prod around but, id like to see if someone had a bit of guidance as they may have come across this before.

Any ideas/ pics would be helpful :)

Just looking to not blow up my Neo Geo from lack of exposure on anything technical but on a serious note... that was my dads multi-meter

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
On a serious note, it seems I can just put the multi-meter to AC or DC? and put the black end to something ground and the red one to any live wire to see what their voltage is, am I correct?

PS.
If I get zapped later tonight when I do this, I am going to admit I had it coming...

Ta <3

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
On a serious note, it seems I can just put the multi-meter to AC or DC? and put the black end to something ground and the red one to any live wire to see what their voltage is, am I correct?

PS.
If I get zapped later tonight when I do this, I am going to admit I had it coming...

Ta <3

Yes more or less, but on a serious note, what are you trying to accomplish on this? If you are not comfortable using a multimeter you should just watch some vids online and see how to use it. Just be careful prodding the board as you could screw it up naturally but chances are you will just fuck up the board, 120 volt won't kill you unless you have a pace maker or something so don't worry about zaps. You can also download a pic of MVS wiring diagram at the edge connector and just probe there so you can see each voltage line and trace it back to the PSU if needed.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
usually there's a sticker on the psu that says what colour is what...

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
You are all so helpful :)

I figured it out, yellow is 12v, 5v is red and black ground. I watched a few videos and learned what not to do.

I appreciate your help, the reason I ask is I am making a CMVS and I want to use the stock power supply as well... it's cool for audio and when I make my supergun it will work on other boards too.

Thanks all ♡

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If you're making a CMVS then you can simply use a 5v supply from an ac wall adapter. 3 amps should do you just fine unless its a 4 or 6 slot board. This way you only need worry about two wires, 5v+ and ground. No need for an arcade or ATX power supply...

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
The scary bit with relying on 5V is if you accidentally plug in another power supply that's the wrong voltage or polarity. Poof goes the chipset.

If you want a really robust setup, put your DC in jack on a bridge rectifier, and then behind that, a 5V regulator. There are many switching 5V regulators that are made to drop in to where a 7805 might work to make it very easy. This kind of setup means your power supply requirements become lax enough to be "About 7 to 12 volts, polarity doesn't matter" - and that's more or less what the NES does.