Started off as being Korn\Deftones thread. Now jumbo 90s goth, screamo, anything thread

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Korn's new stuff sounds alright. but it was the first 2 albums and with Deftones maybe the first 4.
that was before all the nu metal bollocks.

I mean:

as music - strip it off any connotation.

I listen to a fuck load of stuff and like from pussy stuff to extreme music, so this isn't me trying to be hard. maybe me being an opinionated poseur. yes.
btw, was into these bands from the get go but I only got into the self titled album by Deftones maybe 3 years ago. I think it's fucking incredible.
kind of mirrors what Will Haven was doing at the time. but Chino sounds a lot more caught up in existential domestic crisis in his music on this particular album. not sure if its the case.

also got into almost all of Type O Negative's back catalogue a couple of years ago, when I was a kid I was mad about October Rust, it's amazing how fresh it all sounds today, even the 90% I didn't grow up with.

but yeah I absolutely love these 2 albums.
just felt like blurting it out.
nothing by these 2 bands has since come close though some alright tracks along the way and Deftones live is amazing still.
erm yeah..

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I used to really dig Korn when I was in middle school and highschool. Saw them live a few times, and enjoyed seeing them each time. I really can't get into them anymore. Guess I grew out of them.

Deftones, on the other hand, I still listen to pretty regularly. For me, they peaked at Around the Fur or White Pony. I listen to Around the Fur quite a bit, never gets old for me. But to be honest, I do like all their albums. Some songs stick out more than others, but as a whole I really dig their music. I've seen them live a few times as well, pretty fucking solid shows. I haven't seen them for quite a few years though. Last time I saw them was probably for the tour to support their self titled album. Definitely haven't seen them with the new bassist.

Type O Negative, I've never really been able to get into. I had a friend in highschool lend me October Rust, I gave it a few listens just never really got into it. They aren't a bad band, just not my cup of tea I suppose.

Kind of on the same subject: I was listening to the first Danzig album the other day. That is a pretty solid album IMO. Probably the best album Glen has done since the Misfits.... I also noticed the other day that they actually did a few reunion gigs lately (Misfits that is). I wouldn't mind seeing that show live. I saw the Misfits a few years back with Jerry Only being the only real member performing, it was cringe worthy. That dude can't sing at all.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Kind of on the same subject: I was listening to the first Danzig album the other day. That is a pretty solid album IMO. Probably the best album Glen has done since the Misfits.... I also noticed the other day that they actually did a few reunion gigs lately (Misfits that is). I wouldn't mind seeing that show live. I saw the Misfits a few years back with Jerry Only being the only real member performing, it was cringe worthy. That dude can't sing at all.

Danzig I & II are definately his best solo stuff.

I can see where people don't like Jerry's style - he's got a huge doo-wop style influence going on.

I'd give my right testicle to see one of those reunion shows. The best I'll hope for is for Glenn to take his head out of his ass once in a while and do another album. Even he HAS to see how much $$$ he can make off the merchandise that the hipsters will buy alone.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes, Korn's first two albums were original, heavy and dark despite the band always being awful in the grand scheme.

Third album sucks and was strictly for trendy nu-metal poseurs.

I also like the first two deftones albums and the self titled. People try to claim that the band was never nu-metal. Ha!

EDIT: Keep pete steele and danzig out. This is the nu metal thread, ok?

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Danzig I & II are definately his best solo stuff.

I can see where people don't like Jerry's style - he's got a huge doo-wop style influence going on.

I'd give my right testicle to see one of those reunion shows. The best I'll hope for is for Glenn to take his head out of his ass once in a while and do another album. Even he HAS to see how much $$$ he can make off the merchandise that the hipsters will buy alone.

Off the nu-metal topic... I, too, endorse Danzig I & II. I is one of my favorite albums of all-time, like top 10.

I just caught the second Misfits reunion show at Riot Fest Chicago last week. It was great, putting aside the bad sound, overcrowdedness, and signs of age (Danzig was out of breath after the second song). Deftones played on the same stage right before the Misfits, which sort of makes this on topic. I can get behind the first few Deftones albums. None of Korn's albums really hold up today, though I definitely listened to them in middle and high school - like most of us, I'm sure.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I liked Korn for a little while in like 1996/97. I remember buying Life is Peachy, and my buddy and I used to listen to that and the first album in the car a lot. I went to a Metallica concert in late '96 (the last time I saw them, as a matter of fact) at which Korn was the opening act, but the lines to get in were so long that I totally missed them which pissed me off.

I haven't listened to Korn in a long time, but it would be fun to play Life is Peachy on my iPod while I'm at work, just for nostalgia's sake.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I liked KoRn up til follow the leader. It had some good songs but the fame came with it and everything after is shit or just ok.

Deftones suck. Period.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Korn was ok, I used to listen to a bit of their stuff but was never really a big fan.

I was a huge fan of the Deftones though! I think they peaked with White Pony, I was actually really let down at the time with self titled. Mind you, I was listening to all this stuff as it came out, if I just started recently the order might be different. I have really fond memories of a lot of albums that came out around the early 2000's like White Pony, Lateralus, Amnesiac etc. Some of my favourite stuff. I was so young and care free! :)

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I can still listen to Korn. I enjoyed a majority of their work. Davis had some good lyrics describing his mental battles. To me their later albums started to all carry similar riffs. IMO all bands tend to lose their the creativity and begin to produce similar sounds.

The best music is created when you have anger and emotion. Fame and fortune tends to curb those creative influences.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I was definitely attracted to KoRn back in the day because I had never heard anything like it. I think that even though it's not socially acceptable to like KoRn at all, there's something to be said for those first two albums. Even respectable musicians like Steve Vai will tell you they did a lot for guitar-based music. Even though their riffs were pretty brain-dead, they were the ones to popularize 7-strings and detuning. (People will give the detuning credit to Hendrix, but his halftone-down didn't do much in the broad scheme of things, if you ask me.) Oasis never inspired me to pick up a guitar, but KoRn did and I'm still playing nearly 20 years later.

To be completely honest, I liked Follow the Leader when it came out. I was 10. The McFarlaine art was awesome, it had both the darkness of the first two albums and a great sense of melody. That said, I skipped a bunch of songs when I would listen to that album, whereas I'd listen to the previous two in their entirety, so I'd agree that they peaked with the first two.

I think even their fourth album had a few good songs (e.g., Somebody Someone). But I remember being really disappointed with the fifth one and letting them completely fall off my radar after that. I've heard a few songs on the radio in the past and they just sounds like lifeless imitations of their formerly original selves. Meth will do that, I guess.

Deftones were obviously contemporaries of KoRn, but I'd have a hard time comparing them. I think their music, while definitely nu metal, is less polarizing and more approachable than KoRn's. Their first four albums are great, but I remember hearing the singles from their fifth album and they just sounded like more of the same but in a bad way. (I really don't mind bands sticking to the same sound as long as they add in a new angle for each album.) I've listened to the 30-second clips on iTunes for their newer stuff and have never thought "OK I'll pick this up."

But, I have to give them credit for keeping the band going. I remember reading a quote saying "We're not fucking nu metal. In ten years all of these shitty, trendy bands will be gone and we'll still be here." I think they're still somewhat relevant, but I still would consider them nu metal.

I definitely wouldn't say
that was before all the nu metal bollocks.
because all six of those albums (KoRn's first 2 and Deftones' first 4) were absolutely nu metal. They were the birth of the genre.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Well, they had a good cameo in South Park's halloween episode.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Another shitband that should've died together with the nineties.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I liked Korn for a little while in like 1996/97. I remember buying Life is Peachy, and my buddy and I used to listen to that and the first album in the car a lot. I went to a Metallica concert in late '96 (the last time I saw them, as a matter of fact) at which Korn was the opening act, but the lines to get in were so long that I totally missed them which pissed me off.

I haven't listened to Korn in a long time, but it would be fun to play Life is Peachy on my iPod while I'm at work, just for nostalgia's sake.

If you're talking the Korn/Metallica '96 Fresno concert, you didn't miss anything... Korn totally sucked balls. They were terrible live. :lolz:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
If you're talking the Korn/Metallica '96 Fresno concert, you didn't miss anything... Korn totally sucked balls. They were terrible live. :lolz:

Yup, that's the one I'm talking about. Actually found Metallica's entire set on YouTube:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Type O are one of my favourite bands. Pete Steele was a rock legend! R.I.P.

I've actually got World Coming Down playing in my car currently, but October Rust is 100% from start to finish. Their final album Life is Killing me on the Roadrunner back catalogue is up there too. Their final track The Dream is Dead is quite apt.

As for Deftones, never got into them.

Korn I listened to, but not these days.

As far as nu-metal, Slipknot are still a guilty pleasure but the rest is pretty generic and has not aged well. I guess it still gives me the nostalgia waves which is fun but I went to far heavier things when I was still young.

Edit: glad I'm not the only one who found it odd Type O and Danzig were referenced in a nu-metal thread.

Last edited:

fluxcore

Another Striker
TON - bloody kisses, october rust, dead again are all great albums imo. Still listen to them semi-regularly, especially October Rust. I know 'true fans' will have a different opinion, but whatever.

Korn - yep they were great back when I was a teenager, although only the first album even vaguely holds up today and it's pretty cringey.

Deftones - still like Adrenaline, Around the Fur, White Pony. One of those bands I generally only go back to when I get drunk though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Does anyone like or remember Orgy?

No, Yes. The had one mediocre cover of one song...

As for Korn...they were never anything more than an oddity to me, at best. During their rise to popularity I was falling in love with Radiohead so they pretty much took over my music at the time.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
TON - bloody kisses, october rust, dead again are all great albums imo. Still listen to them semi-regularly, especially October Rust. I know 'true fans' will have a different opinion, but whatever.

I never cared for Dead Again, but all their RR albums were great. I have to be in the mood for their first album, but everything else is load and play, especially World Coming Down.

Carnivore's albums were great, too :buttrock:

I couldn't care less for nu-metal.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
when korn put out follow the leader the local record shop had a midnight record release party

record release party

nobody does that anymroe do they? anyway it was packed & everybody was pretty excited because they hadn't put out a record in a long time before that and by that time they had picked up a pretty bigfollowing. I remember thinking that album was a completely new sound/direction for the band & marked a transition into global pop culture

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
btw, davis put together an ultra-highend mobile production rig of insanely expensive mastering rack-gear and is currently catching up on EDM production techniques..

he's collaborating with skrillex on dubstep tunes under a pseudonym, no promo no marketing just tunes