Star Soldier vanishing earth: passwords?

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
This is a Hail Mary because most people think this game is shit...

I got a copy of star soldier 64 and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how the password system works. I don't have the manual because it was cart only. I thought it was for saving high scores but the game seems to have saving to cart. Anybody know anything?

Also, this game is a lot better than I was anticipating based on its position in the star soldier series.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yea I personally love the game, it's a little sloppy, but still fun, I think the password is for uploading scores maybe. A feature for many shmups in Japan. But maybe was not taken out for the US release.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Confession: I have this game but don't remember playing it.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
The uploading thing was the only thing i can think of, like GC Ikaruga. There is so little information about this game online it's crazy. Reading old reviews, I found several instances where reviewers comment on the password system being for either progress or score retrieval but no mention of any old website to post scores (for US, I can't find anything about Japan). Does anyone have the jp version? I'm wondering if the password system was simply replaced with battery/SRAM save for the US cart but the code left in.

I've been cranking away all day so far after my guy, we will call him "the mail man", left the cart in my mailbox. It's really fun and it feels very authentic to the star soldier series. Also I love the curio aspect of having a shooter on N64. I gotta get better at the defensive roll though...

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I finally found a manual scan for the US versions. The only mention of passwords is on the options menu page. The description for Password says "view the passwords for your scores". And that's that. Just as perplexing as ever. I'm more or less convinced the passwords were for score uploading in the JP version but I couldn't find as much as a trace of that existing. I am really interested, for whatever the stupid reason, in the obscurity of this game.

I got this game for $8 shipped and I never thought I'd play it for more than 45 min. Here I am, playing it and researching it for the majority of my weekend. Wife is thrilled.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I finally found a manual scan for the US versions. The only mention of passwords is on the options menu page. The description for Password says "view the passwords for your scores". And that's that. Just as perplexing as ever. I'm more or less convinced the passwords were for score uploading in the JP version but I couldn't find as much as a trace of that existing. I am really interested, for whatever the stupid reason, in the obscurity of this game.

I got this game for $8 shipped and I never thought I'd play it for more than 45 min. Here I am, playing it and researching it for the majority of my weekend. Wife is thrilled.

please tell her that I am single and I don't play video games.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
It's a decent game that's marred with terrible controls. Clearly it was designed with the idea that the player would use the analog stick first & foremost; but I think analog sticks & shmups don't mix well; and the D-pad controls are super fast & jumpy.