Star Fox Zero

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This is coming out on April 22, in two days. Idgaf about video games anymore but I'd really like to play this. Anyone pre-ordered/going to buy it? I'd like to hear some impressions.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I have it pre-ordered and looking forward to picking it up Friday, always been a fan of the Star Fox games.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I liked the N64 one. I don't have cash to spare now or I'd pick this up.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It's not just Starfox, it's developed by Platinum.

I have very high expectations for it, looking very forward to picking up on Friday.

xorthen

Banned
I was hyped in the beginning but then lost interest when they showed footage back during E3 where everyone did the puppet show.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm just waiting to see if it's any good. I was super hyped at the beginning but every time they showed it I cared less and less.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Looks good. The puppet show reminds me of the snes 90s commercial days.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Love Starfox. LOVE IT. The SNES and N64 games are among my favorite ever. So much so that I will blindly buy anything Starfox related.

Also, Starfox Adventures was a good game. To heck and back and back to heck again with the hater.

Having said that - I am still pi$$ed that this game did not get its own amiibo line. I mean, who would not want a Peppy or Slippy amiibo? Wolf O'Donnell? Pigma Dengar! Oh geez gimme a break Nintendo. What the faaaaaaakkkkkk????

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Love Starfox. LOVE IT. The SNES and N64 games are among my favorite ever. So much so that I will blindly buy anything Starfox related.

Also, Starfox Adventures was a good game. To heck and back and back to heck again with the hater.

Having said that - I am still pi$$ed that this game did not get its own amiibo line. I mean, who would not want a Peppy or Slippy amiibo? Wolf O'Donnell? Pigma Dengar! Oh geez gimme a break Nintendo. What the faaaaaaakkkkkk????

I'm not down with amiibo, but fuck me I'd buy the entire starfox set.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Seriously. Terrible decision on their part. Would have been a great way to promote the game as a flagship game as well (maybe one of the last on the Wii U???)

I mean, as much as I love Animal Crossing, the characters from Starfox are way more endearing. How could they release so many AC amiibo and not any for this (aside from Fox and Falco for Smash).

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Reviews appear to be pretty mixed (72 on Metacritic currently). Doesn't necessarily mean anything but Nintendo games rarely go below 80 so not a good sign.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Looks like most negative feedback is concerning the controls...which unfortunately seems like a valid complaint given the dual screen setup here is unnecessary overly complicated...

Regardless Fox and company are so huggable and cute so I will buy the game and I will love the game.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Yet another nintendo product I don't regret avoiding.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
If I'm not mistaken you can play without looking the gamepad except for some sections. But most of it can be played using the typical "move the reticle" style of Lylat Wars.

I'm more interested in the story and enjoyment since it's a Platinum game. I want to know if it reaches the levels of crazyness of a Bayonetta, Rising or Wonderful 101 (another game with less than stellar control but some nice ideas and one of the best final acts ever)

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Sort of an ominous sign too when the President of the company who develops the game steps down -

Report: President of Star Fox Zero dev PlatinumGames steps down
By Brian Crecente on Apr 21, 2016 at 8:35a @crecenteb

PlatinumGames president Tatsuya Minami stepped down from his role leading the developer late last month, according to a report from GamesBusiness.JP. He has been replaced by Kenichi Sato, who was the executive director.

The news comes as the company celebrates its 10th anniversary and just a day before the global release of PlatinumGames' and Nintendo's Star Fox Zero, which has received mixed reviews.

As with many of Platinum Games' core team, Minami started his career at Capcom. In 2006, he left the company to found ODD Incorporated. ODD later joined forces with Seeds, Inc., a company created by former Clover members, to form PlatinumGames.

PlatinumGames has a history of making unusual games including its premiere title, MadWorld, gun-for-shoes action game Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101. Its latest game, Star Fox Zero, came out today in Japan and hits most of the world tomorrow.

Currently, Star Fox Zero has a metascore in the low 70s with a very mixed reception. In our write up of the game, reviews editor Arthur Gies wrote that the title demonstrates everything bad about Wii U game design and declined to review the game.

The game was co-developed by Nintendo EDP and PlatinumGames. You can read more about that process, and how the game was designed to bolster the use of the Wii U's Gamepad, in our interview with PlatinumGames from last year's E3.

We've reached out to PlatinumGames and will update this story when they respond.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
The other Star Fox game, Star Fox Guard, which plays more like a Tower Defense game, is getting more favorable reviews than Zero.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
The other Star Fox game, Star Fox Guard, which plays more like a Tower Defense game, is getting more favorable reviews than Zero.

I don't trust polygon reviews when Platinum is involved. Specially since that reviewer even bothered to finish a 3h playthrough... so un-professional

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I bought it, and it's shipping now from Best Buy. Hell, I don't really give a crap about gaming that much anymore either, but I love Star Fox. I'll probably play through the couple hour campaign and never touch it again, but, I'm still a sucker for the old Fox. Looks like I may have more fun with the freebie Star Fox defense game than the main disc, but whatevs.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I don't care about reviews. Pretty sure I'd enjoy this solely because it's Star Fox (and an on-rails shooter; when was the last one, sin and punishment wii?).

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I bought it, and it's shipping now from Best Buy. Hell, I don't really give a crap about gaming that much anymore either, but I love Star Fox. I'll probably play through the couple hour campaign and never touch it again, but, I'm still a sucker for the old Fox. Looks like I may have more fun with the freebie Star Fox defense game than the main disc, but whatevs.

I don't care about reviews. Pretty sure I'd enjoy this solely because it's Star Fox (and an on-rails shooter; when was the last one, sin and punishment wii?).

I'm with you guys.

Same reason I enjoyed Metroid Other M. People got so mad and took personal offense when that game came out but I was like whatever, I was just happy to have another Metroid game and enjoyed it for what it was - not everything has to be the next Super Metroid.

Same thing with this game...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm with you guys.

Same reason I enjoyed Metroid Other M. People got so mad and took personal offense when that game came out but I was like whatever, I was just happy to have another Metroid game and enjoyed it for what it was - not everything has to be the next Super Metroid.

Same thing with this game...

I fucking love Other M. Nintendo makes games for old nerds.