Ss1

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure I'm not saying anything here that's not been thought or said before, but I've gonna drop my 2 cents in.
I finaly beat SS1 tonight ( used Charlotte ) and holy shit !!! the BG against Amakusa once you've beatin' him one round!!! :eek: That is eye candy to the max. I seriously can't believe that game is only 118Megs.
Been putting off getting SS2 because I wanted time to play and fully soak in part 1, but seeing that part 2 is 202Megs and the way everyone speaks towards it, I know I'm in for a major treat once I get it. Which will probably be sometime this week :buttrock:
Also wondering if there's any special endings to SS1 , like if you beat it without having to continue, without losing a round, winning all 3 little bonus games..etc.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
As far as I can remember there are no special endings.

SS1 is my favorite Samurai Shodown. I think it's just more pretty and better put together then the other versions.

Try beating the game with everyone now.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Abasuto said:
I'm pretty sure I'm not saying anything here that's not been thought or said before, but I've gonna drop my 2 cents in.
I finaly beat SS1 tonight ( used Charlotte ) and holy shit !!! the BG against Amakusa once you've beatin' him one round!!! :eek: That is eye candy to the max. I seriously can't believe that game is only 118Megs.
Been putting off getting SS2 because I wanted time to play and fully soak in part 1, but seeing that part 2 is 202Megs and the way everyone speaks towards it, I know I'm in for a major treat once I get it. Which will probably be sometime this week :buttrock:
Also wondering if there's any special endings to SS1 , like if you beat it without having to continue, without losing a round, winning all 3 little bonus games..etc.

There is a special type of ending when you beat SS2 without losing a match, but I don't recall such a thing with SS1. I agree with you about Amakusa's last stage though - great stuff especially for being way back then. It seems like coders were much more clever and resourceful back when memory rom chips didn't grow on trees.

Even though SS2 is my favorite Shodown (4 comes in just below it), I still hold a special place in my heart for SS1, since it was really the game that got me started liking the Neo. Oh, those tender moments at the truck stop down the street .... :crying:.

Anyway, enjoy SS1 - there's tons of great stuff there. And you're in for a treat when you get SS2. It's maybe the best all-around game on the Neo, and is certainly the best value on the NGH. It was one of the top five fighters of all time in GMR a few months back (even with ten years of games following it), and it fully deserved that spot and more, IMO.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Abasuto said:
congratulations on your first victory, especially with a nontraditional character...a good Charlotte user is something to behold, as is the second Amakusa BG with "the Dark Guy"(Ambrosia?) observing everything plus the uber-dramatic music to go with it...

good for you, take your time with SS1...keep in mind, one who has mastered the fundamentals of this game will find a quick and easy assimilation into SS2 and really appreciate the added bonuses and improvements the sequel brings...but I'm sure you'll be like most and still always have a place in your heart(and collection) for SS1...
:buttrock:

the only difference is if you finish the game without continuing...in both SS1 and SS2 you get rewarded with a full credits roll which isn't just your usual words against a black screen...quite nice really
:)

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Yeah, at the time I thought that SS1 was incredible. It was the game that made me want a Neo Geo for sure.... and the reason, many many years later, that I did in fact get one. First game I ever owned on the AES, in fact.

SS2 and 5 are much better, IMHO. However, SS1 still holds some of that old school yet great game feel. Much like FFS. Unlike FFS, however, I don't think it's the best in the series.

Spike

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
Is it even possible to beat SS1 with one credit?
The AI is übercheap all the way, and then we have amakusa...

I thought charlotte was one of the obvious choices for beating the CPU. poke, poke, power gradiation, repeat.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
krakov said:
Is it even possible to beat SS1 with one credit?
The AI is übercheap all the way, and then we have amakusa...

I thought charlotte was one of the obvious choices for beating the CPU. poke, poke, power gradiation, repeat.

I can already beat the game on "normal" without having to continue any using charlotte, now Hard is a different story. After a few days of trying out different fighters, I still find Charlotte the best overall. Her A+B attack from a distance is deadly. Long range, lots of damage, and if you get the timing down perfect, it'll take priority over most other attacks when used in the air. :smirk:
What fighters do most you guys use ?

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
That game?

Shoot, I use everyone in that game.

I don't even have any favorites in that game, I love all the characters that much.