Sports Thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's CFL and MLB season so it's Blue Bombers and Rockies for me until the Broncos/Nugs/Avs/Mammoth start up again.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
No more hockey or basketball (unless you count the WNBA :p ) and lacrosse is done. Anyone following the USFL (haven't seen a game) or...baseball? The College World Series started with the lowest seed in years in Oral Roberts University dumping Oregon in the super regional to earn a spot, then pulling off a 3 run ninth to upset TCU earlier today. Nice to see a non-traditional team take on the national powerhouses. Lots of luck to them.

Also following the long lost sport of the Indoor Football League as I'm a big Arizona Rattlers fan. Started the season bad but are back in first place in their conference.

Any other local sports anyone are following? Inquiring minds want to know :buttrock:

MLB is much improved this year with the rule changes. Pitchers and batter are on the clock to wither pitch or get in the batters box. This has cut the average baseball game from around 3:10 to about 2:40, so a savings of around 30 minutes. Additionally, more bases have been stolen, base size increased and pitchers can't keep throwing to first base to hold the runner, which has made the game a bit funner.

MLS soccer is also getting better with a few more pro European, Mexican, and South Americans playing in the league.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
It's CFL and MLB season so it's Blue Bombers and Rockies for me until the Broncos/Nugs/Avs/Mammoth start up again.

Are you a fan of college football? Lots of people will have their eyes on the Buffaloes this season. I think Coach Prime is a dick, but some like his style.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
No more hockey or basketball (unless you count the WNBA :p ) and lacrosse is done. Anyone following the USFL (haven't seen a game) or...baseball? The College World Series started with the lowest seed in years in Oral Roberts University dumping Oregon in the super regional to earn a spot, then pulling off a 3 run ninth to upset TCU earlier today. Nice to see a non-traditional team take on the national powerhouses. Lots of luck to them.

Also following the long lost sport of the Indoor Football League as I'm a big Arizona Rattlers fan. Started the season bad but are back in first place in their conference.

Any other local sports anyone are following? Inquiring minds want to know :buttrock:
Box lacrosse might be done, but Premier Lacrosse League is going on right now. Cannons finally got their first win the season and it sounds like next year PLL will have teams based in cities.

CFL is underway, Ti-Cats looked like they were quite rusty and out of place now that Bo Levi Mitchell is under center. Hopefully they play better tonight against the Argos. CFL+ is available for free for many games this season except those broadcast on CBS SN.

And to save the best for last, AFL is the best sport during this time here are the highlights for games:

Good news for me, North Melbourne isn't the worst team this season...so far...

famicommander

15 Year Member
The PLL launched, killed the league with teams in home markets to set up a touring-only league, realized that's stupid, and are about to put teams back in all the places the league they killed had teams in the first place. Geniuses.

The only thing they accomplished was disrupting continuity for 4 years in the few cities that actually gave a shit about the old league.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
The PLL launched, killed the league with teams in home markets to set up a touring-only league, realized that's stupid, and are about to put teams back in all the places the league they killed had teams in the first place. Genuises.

The only thing they accomplished was disrupting continuity for 4 years in the few cities that actually gave a shit about the old league.
Yeah, I don't understand why they killed MLL in the first place. Cannons will probably go back to being Boston Cannons.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Super excited for the new season! Different division, but I’m rooting for my home college (Syracuse). Hopefully they’ll do better than last season

I'm a huge University of Southern California fan and feel they are finally moving in the right direction. Lincoln Riley brought over a great QB and receiver last year. He also brought in great players from the transfer portal. He is also recruiting a great class and focusing on bring in some good corners, because SC got burned for a large number long passes and yards after the catch.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I'm a huge University of Southern California fan and feel they are finally moving in the right direction. Lincoln Riley brought over a great QB and receiver last year. He also brought in great players from the transfer portal. He is also recruiting a great class and focusing on bring in some good corners, because SC got burned for a large number long passes and yards after the catch.
You're probably pretty stoked to see this if you haven't already:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Avs fleeced the Predators today.

Avs get:
Ryan Johansson (and Nashville is eating 50% of his contract)

Predators get:
Alex Galchenyuk (29 year old washout who played 11 games and scored 0 points last year)

I get the move from the Nashville perspective if they were dumping his whole 8 million dollar per year contract, but they're retaining 4 million per year. So the Avs get him at half price and still have 3 million left of the 7 million dollars in long term IR cap space they got from shutting down Landeskog another year.

If the Avs could've made this trade at the deadline it would've been fucking huge. Oh well.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
He really should've fired Alex Grinch though

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Today is Bobby Bonilla Day

He hasn’t picked up a professional baseball glove in 22 years but he’s still picking up a paycheck – and a hefty one at that.

It’s July 1, which for New York Mets fans means it’s Bobby Bonilla Day.

The former slugger retired in 2001 with the St. Louis Cardinals, but he has been collecting a check of nearly $1.2 million from the Mets every year on July 1 for more than a decade.

The deal is part of a contract negotiated by Bonilla’s agent Dennis Gilbert, which will pay Bonilla $1,193,248.20 every year until 2035. Bonilla, a former All-Star who last played with the Mets in 1999, will be 72 when his contract with the team expires.

How was Gilbert able to secure such a sweet deal for his client? They can both thank disgraced financier Bernie Madoff and Mets owner Fred Wilpon.

The Mets wanted to part ways with Bonilla in 1999, but he had $6 million left on his contract. Wilpon believed he was getting a huge return on his investments through Madoff but the Mets owner turned out to be a victim of Madoff’s infamous Ponzi scheme.

Instead of paying Bonilla outright, Wilpon opted to defer payments so that the money could be unwittingly invested into Madoff’s Ponzi scheme.

Gilbert negotiated with the team to defer payments until 2011, with an 8% annual interest rate.

Madoff was the mastermind of the most notorious Ponzi scheme in history. A Ponzi scheme is a form of fraud that uses funds from more recent investors to pay profits to earlier investors, leading them to believe that their investments are part of a successful enterprise.

Madoff, who died in 2021, was serving 150 years in prison for the multibillion-dollar scheme that he ran for decades.

In total, Bonilla will walk away with a $29.8 million payday because of Wilpon’s blunder.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
A wild game yesterday in an IFL game between the host Arizona Rattlers and Massachusetts Pirates. Rattlers had a 9 point lead with under a minute to go when Mass attempted an onside kick. Time out was called, a targeting penalty happened and a player was down for Mass. After being attended to and walking back to the sideline, he suddenly ran, jumped over the side barrier and got face to face with several fans, backed up by several of his teammates:

ng31.png

Today the BANHAMMER fell!!!

STATEMENT FROM THE COMMISSIONER​

Late in last night's game between the Massachusetts Pirates and the Arizona Rattlers, there was an unfortunate incident that culminated with players and a coach entering the crowd. The Indoor Football League takes pride in our effort to create a Family-Friendly environment. The actions of these individuals do not represent or align with these unwavering IFL values. The IFL sincerely apologizes to the Arizona Rattlers, Arizona fans, as well as fans across the country. The IFL will not tolerate this type of action.

After reviewing all available footage as well as reviewing the officials report, the Massachusetts organization as well as multiple players have been substantially fined and suspended. In addition, the following individuals have been suspended from the IFL indefinitely; #8 Leon O’Neal, #5 Chris Ingram, #22 Charles Williams and Coach Patrick Pass.

“Under zero circumstance can you ever go beyond the wall and into the stands,” said Commissioner Todd Tryon. “This is a one-time incident that does not reflect what the IFL stands for. We are a family friendly league that offers great sports entertainment, and we will continue to build on that moving forward. What was a very exciting game was marred by the actions of a few. These actions will never be tolerated and are being fully dealt with.”

famicommander

15 Year Member
ESPN layoffs have been a bloodbath so far:
Neil Everett
Chris Chelios
Jeff Van Gundy
Max Kellerman
Keyshawn Johnson
Suzy Kolber
Steve Young
Todd McShay
Jalen Rose
Matt Hasselbeck
LaPhonso Ellis
Ashley Brewer
Joon Lee
Jordan Cornette
Jason Fitz
David Pollack
Nick Friedell
Doug Kezirian
Andre Ward
Rob Ninkovich
Jay Williams
Vince Carter

And yet Mark Jackson lives on.

Last edited:

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
ESPN layoffs have been a bloodbath so far:
Neil Everett
Chris Chelios
Jeff Van Gundy
Max Kellerman
Keyshawn Johnson
Suzy Kolber
Steve Young
Todd McShay
Jalen Rose
Matt Hasselbeck
LaPhonso Ellis
Ashley Brewer
Joon Lee
Jordan Cornette
Jason Fitz
David Pollack
Nick Friedell
Doug Kezirian
Andre Ward
Rob Ninkovich
Jay Williams
Vince Carter

And yet Mark Jackson lives on.

Damn, I enjoy listening to Keyshawn, JWill, amd Max in the morning. I read that they'll be doing other shows for ESPN.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
A wild game yesterday in an IFL game between the host Arizona Rattlers and Massachusetts Pirates. Rattlers had a 9 point lead with under a minute to go when Mass attempted an onside kick. Time out was called, a targeting penalty happened and a player was down for Mass. After being attended to and walking back to the sideline, he suddenly ran, jumped over the side barrier and got face to face with several fans, backed up by several of his teammates:

View attachment 66679

Today the BANHAMMER fell!!!

STATEMENT FROM THE COMMISSIONER​

Late in last night's game between the Massachusetts Pirates and the Arizona Rattlers, there was an unfortunate incident that culminated with players and a coach entering the crowd. The Indoor Football League takes pride in our effort to create a Family-Friendly environment. The actions of these individuals do not represent or align with these unwavering IFL values. The IFL sincerely apologizes to the Arizona Rattlers, Arizona fans, as well as fans across the country. The IFL will not tolerate this type of action.

After reviewing all available footage as well as reviewing the officials report, the Massachusetts organization as well as multiple players have been substantially fined and suspended. In addition, the following individuals have been suspended from the IFL indefinitely; #8 Leon O’Neal, #5 Chris Ingram, #22 Charles Williams and Coach Patrick Pass.

“Under zero circumstance can you ever go beyond the wall and into the stands,” said Commissioner Todd Tryon. “This is a one-time incident that does not reflect what the IFL stands for. We are a family friendly league that offers great sports entertainment, and we will continue to build on that moving forward. What was a very exciting game was marred by the actions of a few. These actions will never be tolerated and are being fully dealt with.”
Usually I'll watch some IFL games since I noticed a few games come on YouTube for free. Do all the games stream on YouTube?

I'll finally be able to follow a team next year when hopefully the Columbus Wild Dogs start play, but it's also possible that the Columbus Destroyers and/or Cleveland Gladiators come back in 2024 when the Arena Football League is relaunched again.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Usually I'll watch some IFL games since I noticed a few games come on YouTube for free. Do all the games stream on YouTube?

I'll finally be able to follow a team next year when hopefully the Columbus Wild Dogs start play, but it's also possible that the Columbus Destroyers and/or Cleveland Gladiators come back in 2024 when the Arena Football League is relaunched again.
1. The Arena Football League is not really being relaunched, especially not in 2024. The clowns who bought the trademarks claim to be launching 16 teams in major markets about six months from now. Zero percent chance of this happening. For it to happen they'd have had to have announced all the arena lease deals months ago. They have a section on their website that says "click here to own a team" for fuck's sake.

2. The Wild Dogs probably won't exist either. They were announced in 2020 and have been "joining" the league every year but never do.

3. The IFL sucks even more than it ever has right now. Last year most of the best players in the league chose to stay in the IFL but this year pretty much all of them jumped to the XFL or USFL, so the quality of play in the IFL is drastically lower than it has ever been in the past.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member

All games are streamed on YouTube for free. There's a link at the IFL website for all the upcoming games. The Columbus Wild Dogs are joining next season and for now so are the Bismarck Bucks though the reasons for the delay: North Dakota is one of three states in the U.S. that has a state-mandated and employer funded workforce medical, rehabilitation and long-term disability benefits fund, fully managed by the state. Whether they return as Bismarck or go to another city is anyone's guess.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
1. The Arena Football League is not really being relaunched, especially not in 2024. The clowns who bought the trademarks claim to be launching 16 teams in major markets about six months from now. Zero percent chance of this happening. For it to happen they'd have had to have announced all the arena lease deals months ago. They have a section on their website that says "click here to own a team" for fuck's sake.

2. The Wild Dogs probably won't exist either. They were announced in 2020 and have been "joining" the league every year but never do.

3. The IFL sucks even more than it ever has right now. Last year most of the best players in the league chose to stay in the IFL but this year pretty much all of them jumped to the XFL or USFL, so the quality of play in the IFL is drastically lower than it has ever been in the past.
Waiting for Fami to chime in and do his usual IFL bash comment. He hasn't been the same since the Colorado Ice/Crush folded after going winless in their several playoff appearances. Colorado's best years were with the AFL as they were a competitive team in a better league (I do miss them nets in the AFL as the Rattlers used them several times to pull victories at the last second).